Incidental Expenditure - Now its gone crazy!

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by doesitmatter, Sep 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :D Not so long ago Incidental expenditure (IE) was a simple claim for our expenses whilst away from home and it was recognised that receipts could not be provided for laundrette costs, papers, phone calls etc.

:x What I dont understand now is that even when JPA does not ask for receipts for IE I have had a claim audited and been told I have to provide receipts for it!! Where, please is the justification for that. Will someone with some noddle as some seem to have in this forum please advise or have my Admin staff gone bonkers?

The lads here feel that that they have been turned over by the system as we've been told that all IE claims back to May have to be supported fully by receipts or the money has to be collected by Platoon Commanders!

That is not funny for most as the time spent away has been considerable and claims are already spent.

Thanks. :cry:

2. The guidelines state quite explicitly that you DO NOT have to provide a receipt for incidental expenditures under £5.

I have submitted claims for under £5 without receipts and when the cash office nazi's complained, I pointed them in the direction of the JPA Guidelines and told them that I was following the rules and shocker, they backed down then. Stick to your guns!

3. On the other hand, even if not submitting receipts, you are required to KEEP them for possible auditing purposes.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The under £5 is not to do with JPA it is to do with income tax etc :cry: If the exes you claim are under £5 (per event/day) then the tax man don't want to know. If the taxable exes are over £5 then Gorgon (meant) Broon wants his (our) cut.

Keep receipts, it ain't hard. I don't know what the rules are but civil service rules allow 10% tip without receipts. I wonder how many tips are actualy left :?

5. Im sure there was a DIN? out this year which changed that - again - so that we now have to provide reciepts again. Im not at work this week, but the doc is on defence intranet - search for 'incidental expenses'.
    SP

6. The last time it changed was around June 07, and then they said No Reciepts required.

7. I presume that JSP 752 will be updated in due course however can anyone tell me where it says that receipts are no longer required. Cheers.

8. As I've had a 20 year career out of MOD - in a bank, I always look at how much money is spent on administering the claim againt how much the claim is for. I think a £5 IEA claim should always be paid without question as it will cost more than £5 in man hours to investigate. It should only be paid for an overnight stay, so you only have to check if an overn ight stay has been claimed for. At the end of the day am I going to get a receipt off the newspaper seller at Embankment tube? I think not. Let me know what happens, a GEM scheme suggestion might need to be put forward to the effect that we are wasting tax-payers money by auditing claims of £5

9. Can anybody actually tell me what we can claim for on IE? ive heard "newspapers, Laundry and a 2 minute phone call" is there anything else that fits the bill of Incedental expenditure?

Ive been told by my pay clerks to claim £5 per day for the full time im away on this duty, my last claim was for 30 days = £150 do I need to be carefull now?

I totally agree that collecting receipts for this is impossible, especially as the local laundry stings me £5.60 per wash in coins, and it's totally automated with no staff there to get receipts from.

10. You no longer even have to claim actual amounts for IE. It's a flat rate of £5 claimed per day in the UK and £10 claimed per day overseas, completely regardless of how much you actually spend on 0898 sex line calls and jazz mags. You can spend NOTHING and still claim the £5 per day Incidentals.

11. Thats a relief to hear, thanks. how "official" is this info and where can I get a hard copy to wave at people?

12. I will get Jolly Jack to dig out the DIN on Monday, if he has time lol!!

13. I've just had the same fun, spotted an audit on JPA on 4 days worth of IE claims on a course in the UK. I'd checked the rules, £5 a day for extra costs that you'd not normally have at home. If they want me to produce any paperwork, then they're in for some fun. I'm quiet happy to quote JSP at them, whilst booking CO's interviews to complain!

14. YOUR WRONG, AS ALL READY MENTIONED YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE RECEIPTS FOR UNDER £6 THEREFORE YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY...AS YOU DO NOT GET RECEIPTS FOR NEWSPAPERS, PHONE CALLS ETC...AND BEFORE YOU SAY MOBILE PHONE BILL, SOME PEOPLE MAY USE PAY PHONES!!! NO RECEIPTS THERE FOOL.

15. No need to shout, but you are quite right, no reciepts are needed for IE anymore, god luv em.