Incident at Castle Martin 14-06-2017

God alone knows, it's more than 25 years since I used them, although I reckon I could still do the loading drills (if not the stoppage/rammer out ones) in the CIM or whatever it was called.

Will have to look in a drwer at home. I have a single vent tube I was going to convert into a lighter, but packed in smoking & didn't need it any more!
It's .625in - as written on the side of the tins they came in, which were then recycled as ashtrays in the classrooms at Lulworth.
Witness a red-tab at Lulworth berating a Tp Ldr's course as a 'bunch of daft cnuts' for getting the answer wrong in the end of course exam, when 'it's written on your feckin' ashtrays'.
Amazing how you remember things even after 40 years.

[nowah]

Tube, Vent, Electric?

The things that look like rounds without a bullet inthe centre picture.

[/nowah]
Thank you,I was talking about an urban myth/legend concerning stone age gunnery on Cent.105mm.

I’ve seen a few accidents - an ND when people were setting up targets because ammo wasn’t stored at the firing point, a 432 being incinerated because a RCO didn’t burn the 81mm augies off after firing, ranges being stopped in BATUS when a G4 ******** takes a shortcut and drives into the danger area.

All have a common theme. Thankfully none resulted in injury but all happened when I was a young subby and all made me conscience of the rules because I had no desire to be responsible for an avoidable death and to end up in the dock. It was never the big calculated risk (like LFTT) that would screw you over it was always somebody doing something a little bit stupid causing everything to unravel very quickly (wearing LUCIES for night time LFTT)

I’ve seen a few accidents - an ND when people were setting up targets because ammo wasn’t stored at the firing point, a 432 being incinerated because a RCO didn’t burn the 81mm augies off after firing, ranges being stopped in BATUS when a G4 ******** takes a shortcut and drives into the danger area.

All have a common theme. Thankfully none resulted in injury but all happened when I was a young subby and all made me conscience of the rules because I had no desire to be responsible for an avoidable death and to end up in the dock. It was never the big calculated risk (like LFTT) that would screw you over it was always somebody doing something a little bit stupid causing everything to unravel very quickly (wearing LUCIES for night time LFTT)
LUCIES?

TVEs aren’t used in the 105mm L7 gun. It utilises a cartridge case with an electric primer.
Yes,I know,it was you who mentioned TVE's in my original post re '7 rounds in the air using 105mm'

With good reason, fire off bare-rock with no preparation of the baseplate and you're likley to see all three constituent parts of the mortar going in different directions at high speed, followed by the crew. Where the round would go is anyone's guess and likely to prove embarrassing when it arrives.
That I can confirm. In the Falklands in 1982 / 83 our base plate hit half a massive rock, jumped/slide sideways, while the barrel did something strange and the bipod legs jumped and collapsed. The round then went down range in the direct fire anti-tank role!

We spend a lot of time testing the Rasschen bags.

But you seem to know what was said in a closed meeting of said Board? How so, if you were not there and the meeting was "closed door" (i.e. not minuted). Guessing that you have friends who are/were Army Board members who are a little loose with their sharing of Board meeting discussions?

But you seem to know what was said in a closed meeting of said Board? How so, if you were not there and the meeting was "closed door" (i.e. not minuted). Guessing that you have friends who are/were Army Board members who are a little loose with their sharing of Board meeting discussions?
Without going into specific incidents, I know when the official line doesn't match what actually happened, something isn't quite right.