Incident at Castle Martin 14-06-2017

Has to be a myth/urban legend, I heard another about a Cent105 Sabot going down range from Cat Rear at Lulworth, the minor problem being it was on HESH scale, the tale goes that it landed somewhere in France.
Threaddriftwarning:

With a username like that, and posting at 7:33pm on the night of Eng-er-lund v Croatia, I think it's a fair bet you're not an English ballfoot fan . . .

45 cdo in 1992. I think that it was 6 blokes that were killed.
Same thing also happened in 2014 in the states and killed 7 US Marines.

Double feeds are at the forefront of a mortar teams collective mind when you get to the higher rates.
now being ex crab and never fired anything above 7.62 iirc there was film of a yank mortar crew in afghan where the guy walked around the tube in a complete circuit before each round went in, why?

now being ex crab and never fired anything above 7.62 iirc there was film of a yank mortar crew in afghan where the guy walked around the tube in a complete circuit before each round went in, why?
Possibly the first few rounds and he was treading on the base plate to help it bed in.

not sure he seemed to be doing it at arms length, the camp seemed to be in a shit location hills overlooking on all sides, the yanks were putting out an eyewatering amount of fire
I'm guessing here, being an anti-tank man, but if the baseplate was on bare rock, he'd mebbe be fretsome about it not being able to bed in.

I doubt you could fire one off of bare rock. There is a system with these large canvass bags that go under the baseplate and bipod legs for fibua. I’ve seen it but never fired from it.

I doubt you could fire one off of bare rock. There is a system with these large canvass bags that go under the baseplate and bipod legs for fibua. I’ve seen it but never fired from it.
Given that the fillum in question was of a Yank mortar tube in action, that information appears irrelevant.

What do the Septics have?

Given that the fillum in question was of a Yank mortar tube in action, that information appears irrelevant.

What do the Septics have?
81mm ( we sold it to them) and 120mm.

IIRC they also have 60mm, which has a small lethal radius.

And ...tube? :)

We binned 51mm because we ran out of ammo, went to 60mm and used yank Ammo. 81mm is plentiful and the RA have 120mm for their locating batteries.

The yanks have very strange drills, as anyone will attest if they have experienced the US Marines CQB drills from the 90's "I'm the rabbit, I'm the rabbit, long wall, long wall" as he leads a caterpillar of 6 guys into the house. Thank fvck bad guys don't use grenades.

Catch yerself on: not interested in calibre, but in under-the-baseplate expedients for firing mortars off bare rock/paved surfaces
Apologies, your post didn't read that way.

I'll ask one of my US Mortar chums and get back.

Catch yerself on: not interested in calibre, but in under-the-baseplate expedients for firing mortars off bare rock/paved surfaces
We used to have a big set of bags that would be filled with earth for use in built up areas. Like a massive bean bag with draw strings etc. I think that it was only rated for a certain amount of use before it would split.
Best bet was to find a park or verge.

@Stonker Shot, out...

"There are a couple options. You can use a pick & shovel to dig down to softer ground if possible. If not a couple layers of sandbags underneath the plate and just past the circumference, but not enough to get in the way of the bipod helps."

We used to have a big set of bags that would be filled with earth for use in built up areas. Like a massive bean bag with draw strings etc. I think that it was only rated for a certain amount of use before it would split.
Best bet was to find a park or verge.
Rashen bag, IIRC.

Myth.

HESH range is 8000m, Muzzle velocity is 732m/s, giving 11 secs to get 6 more loaded and fired. Including a reload of TVEs.
TVE's?