Incident at Castle Martin 14-06-2017

A good day to bury bad news, no doubt the MOD Press Office is sighing a degree of relief!

Good luck to the injured.
What a @Riddickulouse comment. Do you think the MOD's been keeping it quiet waiting for an opportune moment?

Explain that one, as it was all over BBC Wales earlier this evening.
I was being ironic and somewhat cynical - the exact phrase was used by the Cabinet Office on the day of the 911 attack on the WTC in NY.
Sept 11: 'a good day to bury bad news'

An effort repeated just 4 years later on the eve of Cameron's folly with EU negotiations -
Ministers rush out over 400 announcements in 'shockingly cynical' ploy | Daily Mail Online

You think it didn't happen again in government today whilst everyone was watching a bonfire?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was a being ironic and somewhat cynical - the exact phrase was used by the Cabinet Office on the day of the 911 attack on the WTC in NY.

An effort repeated just 4 years later on the eve of Cameron's folly with EU negotiations -
Ministers rush out over 400 announcements in 'shockingly cynical' ploy | Daily Mail Online

You think it didn't happen again in government today whilst everyone was watching a bonfire?
No as we don't currently have a Govt

No as we don't currently have a Govt
Actually you do if you were to understand your legal facts. A government minister remain in post, irrespective of election process, until they are replaced. Much like a sentry standing guard until properly relieved. Continuity of government and all that useful dross!

Actually you do if you were to undrstand your legal facts. A government minister remain in post, irrespective of election process, until they are replaced. Much like a sentry standing guard until properly relieved. Continuity of government and all that useful dross!
So in your view the incident happened a while ago and the dastardly MOD waited until today to announce it?

Actually you do if you were to understand your legal facts. A government minister remain in post, irrespective of election process, until they are replaced. Much like a sentry standing guard until properly relieved. Continuity of government and all that useful dross!
I recall an incident when a sentry relieved himself in a sangar.

I was being ironic and somewhat cynical - the exact phrase was used by the Cabinet Office on the day of the 911 attack on the WTC in NY.

Two different things though, ministers using a big news story to divert attention from the announcement of unpopular measures, to the MOD choosing when to release news of casualties.

Whatever you think of the MOD, I'm sure that news of casualties is released as soon as NOK have been informed- i.e. ASP.

In the article on the BEEB's website is the following snippet "Castlemartin is the only UK Army range normally available for direct-fire live gunnery exercises and is used by Army, Army reserves and cadets.", has Lulworth closed?

So in your view the incident happened a while ago and the dastardly MOD waited until today to announce it?
Not what I said!

The way the MOD Press Office responded was to a script, in line with the cross government communications strategy. The MOD incident was not top story and it will continue to remain very low end news, because it isn't graphic, no pictures, no culprit at large, not terrorist related and Defence is no longer sexy - it just isn't political enough at this time to affect the news agenda. Who cares what happens in Wales, apart from the Welsh, seriously?

If current casualties don't become fatalities (and I sincerely hope they do not), then this slips down the news agenda fairly rapidly. It won't even make it outside a regional news broadcast. TM has already buried her bad news for the day, she still hasn't got a coalition with the DUP settled and the Queen's Speech and BREXIT talks are further delayed. Defence Secretary will eventually make a statement in the HoC.

Top story will continue to be the London fire for the rest of the week, the grief fest and notably the 'ping pong' political slanging match over the housing crisis in the capital. Next stop - contractors, safety concerns for similar buildings, traffic management / parking in London (that impeded LFB response) and 'buy to let' issues will surface once more.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not what I said!

The way the MOD Press Office responded was to a script, in line with the cross government communications strategy. The MOD incident was not top story and it will continue to remain very low end news, because it isn't graphic, no pictures, no culprit at large, not terrorist related and Defence is no longer sexy - it just isn't political enough at this time to affect the news agenda. Who cares what happens in Wales, apart from the Welsh, seriously?

If current casualties don't become fatalities (and I sincerely hope they do not), then this slips down the news agenda fairly rapidly. It won't even make it outside a regional news broadcast. TM has already buried her bad news for the day, she still hasn't got a coalition with the DUP settled and the Queen's Speech and BREXIT talks are further delayed. Defence Secretary will eventually make a statement in the HoC.

Top story will continue to be the London fire for the rest of the week, the grief fest and notably the 'ping pong' political slanging match over the housing crisis in the capital. Next stop - contractors, safety concerns for similar buildings, traffic management / parking in London (that impeded LFB response) and 'buy to let' issues will surface once more.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not what I said!

My prediction is that this post won't age well.

Two different things though, ministers using a big news story to divert attention from the announcement of unpopular measures, to the MOD choosing when to release news of casualties.

Whatever you think of the MOD, I'm sure that news of casualties is released as soon as NOK have been informed- i.e. ASP.
We are not talking about notifying NOK that is handled via JCCC and is in a separate bag to MOD Press Office. Clearly no names are ever notified or units disclosed unless there is -
a) A fatality (the 24 hour watershed is followed by most news agencies to allow NOK to be notified by a Visiting officer)
b) It doesn't involve SF and there are no knock on effects in terms of additional security risks.
c) Casualties do not involve civilians, where privacy rules observed over MOD pers by news agencies tend to go out the window, and the freelance sharks lurk!
d) Casualty status of MOD pers notified to the news agency is normally dealt with on a similar basis once NOK are informed, but wil be slow stream, low key and reinforce damage limitation, in other words emphasise quick response, safe transfer, supporting agencies etc., 'being cared for by a professional team', condition is critical, stable, comfortable, recovering.

Dribble out the news, and don't make the journo drool! Ultimately, if it's not a positive event, make the story a 'non story' as quickly as possible, unless there is a hero or heroine involved and it aids MOD PR!

/me fetches popcorn

We are not talking about notifying NOK that is handled via JCCC and is in a separate bag to MOD Press Office. Clearly no names are ever notified or units disclosed unless there is -
a) A fatality (the 24 hour watershed is followed by most news agencies to allow NOK to be notified by a Visiting officer)
b) It doesn't involve SF and there are no knock on effects in terms of additional security risks.
c) Casualties do not involve civilians, where privacy rules observed over MOD pers by news agencies tend to go out the window, and the freelance sharks lurk!
d) Casualty status of MOD pers notified to the news agency is normally dealt with on a similar basis once NOK are informed, but wil be slow stream, low key and reinforce damage limitation, in other words emphasise quick response, safe transfer, supporting agencies etc., 'being cared for by a professional team', condition is critical, stable, comfortable, recovering.

Dribble out the news, and don't make the journo drool! Ultimately, if it's not a positive event, make the story a 'non story' as quickly as possible, unless there is a hero or heroine involved and it aids MOD PR!
Oh dear, you are making a bit of a fool of yourself.

My prediction is that this post won't age well.
For me or the government?

If you believe my cynicism is misplaced go check out the news tomorrow and for the next week or perhaps a month.

This is the news dribble factor -
MoD confirms casualties at Castlemartin firing range in west Wales
http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-14/...ted-after-incident-at-military-training-base/
Casualties following 'incident' at Castlemartin tank training base in Wales

Have a look on the MOD website -
Castlemartin - Search - GOV.UK