Inception with Leo De Caprio

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Mr Happy, Jul 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I saw this last night and just thought I would thoroughly recommend this movie to everyone 12+.

It was very very good. I think. But I recommend it thoroughly as a MUST SEE movie.

Its a very complicated movie and for that reason I have gone out of my way to mention other movies below which I think hand elements of this in, however don't misunderstand me, it was a massive movie and veyr very deep..

The reason I recommend it despite not being able to decide if it was very good is because it was so very different to anything I have seen before. It is VERY smart and tested my ability to understand what was going on and balancing activities on screen with what was going on elsewhere in the plot line pushed me to the limits.

So what's it like?

If you enjoyed Pulp Fiction for its ability to link plots up then its for you.

If you enjoy special effects then I will quite happily go on record to say its got the best SE I've seen yet, beyond 2012, beyond matrix beyond everything, not all the time, not constant like those two movies, but when it required it.

If you enjoy a movie with half a dozen key characters not one hero (Stallone/Schwarzenegger)

If you enjoyed Matrix/Total Recall/12 Monkeys for its original plot line

If you enjoy a movie with a cerebral plot like Total Recall (yes really, but that may just be me)

If you enjoy a bit of shooting

Some clunky plot moments as someone else here has said, to deliver the above takes some character to character explanation

An annoying reoccurring 'inner issue' which is needless to the plot but for me got in the way of a bit more bang bang

Thats about it, would love to hear of others thoughts and or parts of the movie that reminded you of other parts of the movie. I was really taken by the depth of the film, as I hinted at the start of this post, its not something I would sign up to see again immediately, but it was VERY much worth seeing once (Schindlers List!).

Link if you've missed the trailers at the bottom. The trailers do seem to hang onto the SE but I urge you to look beyond those, they are only the effects, the real strength of this movie is in the plot.

YouTube - Inception - Official Trailer 3 [HD]
  2. I'll second that, saw it a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was less enjoyable explaining it to the Mem Sahib (who had been sat beside me watching it) but hey ho, I don't get PS I Love You, myself!
  3. Watched it last night.

I thought it was mega,I'm usually quite cynical about special effects and CGI etc but the last 20 minutes of this film were outstanding.

The whole film is very enjoyable and whilst watching I was thinking that DiCaprio has really grown as an actor; could he attain De Niro like status?

I also thought the musical score was excellent and added to the film.

10/10 from me.

PS This is not a dream is it?!?!?!?!?
  4. Actually, I thought it was derivative of other films of the same 'genre', notably Dreamscape with a young[ish] Dennis Quaid.

Still it had 'state of the art' special effects, so I guess, that's 'kule' to some sets.

In any case Leonardo made a killing.. The studio was concerned 'cause the flick was costing so much to make, so Leo took a 'pay cut' from his usual $ 20 mil a pic and agreed to a percentage of the take at the box office. [ before the accountants could cet creative ] and has banked, so far, $ 50 mil as his cut.

nice work if you can get it.
  5. Lucretia

Lucretia Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Dude I've seen, like, waay too much scifi in my little life. I thought Inception was as deep as a puddle. Try Twelve Monkeys for deep. Or Scanner Darkly. Or Pi...Having said that, it was better than many a recent mainstream scifi film, even if it does have Leonardo DC in it, looking puzzled, bless him. I did like all the visual references to FPS games and other such - Grand Theft Auto featured quite heavily. All the talk about level designing etc was good fun, and then we got to see and play through the levels - oh hello, it's Halo with a bit of Castle Wolfenstein mixed in. I just thought it didn't go far enough. In my experience dreams can be entirely 'realistic' right up to the point where the purple cat starts talking to you. I didn't think they had enough fun with the concept it was very plodding and serious and self-consciously epic.
  6. I saw it a few weeks ago. Really, really enjoyed it.

Leo, finally seems to be growing up and getting past that pretty boy stage of his career, which now makes him more believeable in roles.
    I liked the fact that there were a half dozen or so main characters. The effects were good, and the plot tied together eventually towards the end.

One of the best films I've seen in the cinema.

It gets :thumright::thumright::thumright::thumright: + another one, out of 5 from me.
    (It won't let me put 5 images in the post, ffs!)
  7. Heard review that said plot was too deep and lost the viewer - that was on Radio 1 and full of shit.

The film was great and plot can be followed if you pay attention. Not difficult to enage with as the visuals draw you right into the film - glad I caught it at the cinema. Loved the scene where his chick is laid on the rail track.

If you haven't seen it - do it tonight. 10/10
  8. 10/10 outfuckingstanding film. I would even go so far as to say it's in my top 3 ever (!)
  9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Agreed saw it the other night, fantastic film - Was also refreshing that the gunplay didnt include huge amounts of automatic fire. Quite a lot was one or two shots at a time. Made a nice change

"Dont be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"
  10. I really liked this film but thought the very end was a bit rushed.... and I may have asked once or twice...they're still on the plane right?
  11. He's moved on a lot from that drivel in Titanic.

I've heard a few folks stating that they reckon that LDC will only get involved in classic big hitters from now on in. A bit like seeing Tom Hanks' name tagged to something, you know its going to be worth a watch.

Inception was just what I needed this year when sh1te like Karate Kid was doing the rounds (Although Jackie Chan has also learned to act).

* * * * * From me even if the concept is stolen from The Matrix, its still a much better film.
  12. I agree entirely. I did enjoy the film, but expected so much more. The plot wasn't hard to fathom, and not as "deep" as everyone made out.

The effects were excellent however.

Why do all films have to end with a question/open end nowadays. The spinning top was totally pointless, and not required IMO.
  13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The sequel maybe?

saw it last night and didnt fall asleep once. As good a film as I've seen in many a day. And DiCapucchino or whatever he's called, is and always was, a great actor hampered by his pretty boy looks.
  14. Yes, totally agree a superb film and obviously geared up for a sequel. The storyline kept me interested and it wasn't hard to fathom the background to the idea. In fact I can see a spin-off tv series in the making as I found it quite innovative.

Planning on going to see it again with mates who missed it the first time.
  15. You can have a sequel without having to leave the plot line open. Cannonball Run for example.