in uniform off duty

#1
I was walking about in Central Manchester around piccadilly station earlier today and saw a couple of squaddies walking about with their kit - obviously on the way to/from leave. However, they were not wearing headdress or rank slides.

I said to the missus who was with me - "that's nice to see, but if they are going to walk about in uniform surely they should wear it properly and wear headdress and rank slides...it doens't look right otherwise"

She, who is a TA soldier, said that the current orders about wearing uniform in public is that it is allowed (even encouraged) but it is a standing order not to wear headdress, rank slides and stable belts.

Can anyone confirm this? and, if so, what is the logic behind it?
 
#2
Wearing uniform is now encouraged in public unless there's a good reason not to, but IIRC the relevant DIN was very specific that uniform should be full, correct and not mixed at all times. There's a link to it here somewhere, but I can't remember what the thread was called.
 
#3
yeah, that's what I thought it would be....otherwise you could be any clown in DPM. But she was adament that it was an order (maybe a (42?) brigade thing??) that if you wanted to wear your uniform home then this insignia had to be removed....it seems strange, I can't see what the OPSEC or PERSEC implications would be.
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#4
Your missus, as standard for any female, is talking utter cack. There is no restriction on wearing your uniform in public (i.e. popping to the shop during lunch break / after work), however full uniform must be worn, including ranks, berets, etc.

Either the two blokes were walts, or your bint is a walt. And you.
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#5
bensonby said:
a couple of squaddies walking about with their kit - obviously on the way to/from leave. However, they were not wearing headdress or rank slides.
The most likely explanation, is that they didn't have their berets on because its a pain in the arse when travelling, easier to stuff it in your bag, and weren't wearing rank slides because they were private soldiers?
 
#6
I thought it sounded like rubbish....I shall make sure to correct her appropriately.


These lads, to be fair, didn't look like walts. They had all issue kit, issue kit bags and its not uncommon to see troops around the station...and they looked smart - apart from the lack of headdress and rank slides.

I might well be a walt - my employer pretends to be a uniformed, smart and disciplined service.....but is it heck! :p
 
#7
Fugly said:
bensonby said:
a couple of squaddies walking about with their kit - obviously on the way to/from leave. However, they were not wearing headdress or rank slides.
The most likely explanation, is that they didn't have their berets on because its a pain in the arse when travelling, easier to stuff it in your bag, and weren't wearing rank slides because they were private soldiers?
don't private soldiers wear a rank slide with no rank on it - often with their unit written on it?
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#8
bensonby said:
I might well be a walt - my employer pretends to be a uniformed, smart and disciplined service.....but is it heck! :p
Which will make you a crab then, effectively a civilian
 
#9
no, its far worse than that...
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#10
bensonby said:
Fugly said:
bensonby said:
a couple of squaddies walking about with their kit - obviously on the way to/from leave. However, they were not wearing headdress or rank slides.
The most likely explanation, is that they didn't have their berets on because its a pain in the arse when travelling, easier to stuff it in your bag, and weren't wearing rank slides because they were private soldiers?
don't private soldiers wear a rank slide with no rank on it - often with their unit written on it?
In some units, yes - but not all. Don't know how many do/don't, TBH, but I bet the percentage that don't is fairly high.
 
#12
I wonder if we'll start harking back to the times when a soldier not wearing uniform in public was viewed in the same light as a civilian wearing (military) uniform in public.

Read a book about German soldiery a while ago (can't remember title) and apparently Prussian officers (and society) took the matter of military uniform very very seriously indeed, with quite a few even committing suicide when told for whatever reason that they were no longer permitted to be in uniform!
 
#13
simple fact is . if you wear your uniform outside camp it should be to the same standard if not higher to what you would be expected to wear inside camp. just my humble opinion.
 
#14
My mate who is doing his phase two at the S.E.M.E said that you cant wear your uniform off dutie until you pass out of phase two, is it true ?? Cheers.
 
#15
Your mate is a c@ck and so are you. If he's no allowed to wear his uniform it's only because he's not yet (or ever) able to wear it correctly or offer it the dignity it deserves. Now go ram a poker up your jacksie you frothing mong.
 
#16
bensonby said:
no, its far worse than that...
Nothing to be ashamed about for being a policemen - thankfully some men and women have the guts to do it!

The 'shame' comes at and above chief superintendent level. This is when TARGETS become more important than CATCHING CRIMINALS. This is when POLITICAL INDOCTRINATION is completed and a reverence of the disgraced government and its muddled aims takes precedence over all else.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#17
lsquared said:
bensonby said:
no, its far worse than that...
Nothing to be ashamed about for being a policemen - thankfully some men and women have the guts to do it!

The 'shame' comes at and above chief superintendent level. This is when TARGETS become more important than CATCHING CRIMINALS. This is when POLITICAL INDOCTRINATION is completed and a reverence of the disgraced government and its muddled aims takes precedence over all else.
Maybe he is above CS level - after all he has to come on here anonymously to check on his doris :p
 
#18
Tell your dorii that you either wear full uniform or not at all...

If there is such a rule for not wearing acoutremonts in public, the originator should be drummed out, tarred and feathered.
 
#19
bensonby said:
I was walking about in Central Manchester around piccadilly station earlier today and saw a couple of squaddies walking about with their kit - obviously on the way to/from leave. However, they were not wearing headdress or rank slides.

I said to the missus who was with me - "that's nice to see, but if they are going to walk about in uniform surely they should wear it properly and wear headdress and rank slides...it doens't look right otherwise"

She, who is a TA soldier, said that the current orders about wearing uniform in public is that it is allowed (even encouraged) but it is a standing order not to wear headdress, rank slides and stable belts.

Can anyone confirm this? and, if so, what is the logic behind it?
I am in the TA in 42 Bde and have never seen this. Ask her for the reference or a copy of it ;)

But I agree, there are too many off duty soldiers cutting about Manchester with no headdress on.

msr
 
#20
2009DIN01-126. The Wearing of Uniform in Public- Standards of Dress and Behaviour

Annex A

Introduction

1. The wearing of uniform in public demands the highest standards of dress, bearing and behaviour, and Service personnel must be aware that they are effectively representing the Service. A higher public profile for the Service through the wearing of uniform in public should have a positive effect on defence in the public eye. It is therefore incumbent upon all those wearing uniform to be aware that it is their duty not to bring the Service into disrepute as a result of their demeanour or actions, or otherwise to impact adversely on the efficiency or reputation of the Armed Forces.

There is obviously more detail in the DIN, however, nothing about partially undressing in public :wink:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top