in uniform off duty

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bensonby, Jul 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was walking about in Central Manchester around piccadilly station earlier today and saw a couple of squaddies walking about with their kit - obviously on the way to/from leave. However, they were not wearing headdress or rank slides.

I said to the missus who was with me - "that's nice to see, but if they are going to walk about in uniform surely they should wear it properly and wear headdress and rank doens't look right otherwise"

She, who is a TA soldier, said that the current orders about wearing uniform in public is that it is allowed (even encouraged) but it is a standing order not to wear headdress, rank slides and stable belts.

Can anyone confirm this? and, if so, what is the logic behind it?
  2. Wearing uniform is now encouraged in public unless there's a good reason not to, but IIRC the relevant DIN was very specific that uniform should be full, correct and not mixed at all times. There's a link to it here somewhere, but I can't remember what the thread was called.
  3. yeah, that's what I thought it would be....otherwise you could be any clown in DPM. But she was adament that it was an order (maybe a (42?) brigade thing??) that if you wanted to wear your uniform home then this insignia had to be seems strange, I can't see what the OPSEC or PERSEC implications would be.
  4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Your missus, as standard for any female, is talking utter cack. There is no restriction on wearing your uniform in public (i.e. popping to the shop during lunch break / after work), however full uniform must be worn, including ranks, berets, etc.

Either the two blokes were walts, or your bint is a walt. And you.
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

The most likely explanation, is that they didn't have their berets on because its a pain in the arse when travelling, easier to stuff it in your bag, and weren't wearing rank slides because they were private soldiers?
  6. I thought it sounded like rubbish....I shall make sure to correct her appropriately.

These lads, to be fair, didn't look like walts. They had all issue kit, issue kit bags and its not uncommon to see troops around the station...and they looked smart - apart from the lack of headdress and rank slides.

I might well be a walt - my employer pretends to be a uniformed, smart and disciplined service.....but is it heck! :p
  7. don't private soldiers wear a rank slide with no rank on it - often with their unit written on it?
  8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Which will make you a crab then, effectively a civilian
  9. no, its far worse than that...
  10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

In some units, yes - but not all. Don't know how many do/don't, TBH, but I bet the percentage that don't is fairly high.
  11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

ARRGH! I've given sensible advice to a copper!

I feel so tainted!
  12. I wonder if we'll start harking back to the times when a soldier not wearing uniform in public was viewed in the same light as a civilian wearing (military) uniform in public.

Read a book about German soldiery a while ago (can't remember title) and apparently Prussian officers (and society) took the matter of military uniform very very seriously indeed, with quite a few even committing suicide when told for whatever reason that they were no longer permitted to be in uniform!
  13. simple fact is . if you wear your uniform outside camp it should be to the same standard if not higher to what you would be expected to wear inside camp. just my humble opinion.
  14. My mate who is doing his phase two at the S.E.M.E said that you cant wear your uniform off dutie until you pass out of phase two, is it true ?? Cheers.
  15. Your mate is a c@ck and so are you. If he's no allowed to wear his uniform it's only because he's not yet (or ever) able to wear it correctly or offer it the dignity it deserves. Now go ram a poker up your jacksie you frothing mong.