In training and thinking of discharging

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by luvly_jubbly, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well to be perfectly clear my mind is pickled as to what I want to do. I don't know if this is for me the training is hard but that's not what's bothering me it's being away from home, not being able to go home at night and spend time with my girlfriend of 3 years and parents. Also not being able to go out with my mates, have a 9-5 job, go to the football and like I said have time with family and friends.

What's the difference between phase 1 and phase 2?

Help lads!

2. Hang on, work hard, you've got a job, many more will be out of work with a Tory govt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hang on in there. Regular life gets better and at weekends you can get up to your nuts with your girlfriend (I'll refrain from obvious comments). When you go back and see those mates, ask them what they got up to. I bet your life will be more fulfilling than theirs of Jeremy Kyle and foxtrot alpha.

If you give it up, I guarantee you will always regret it. Give it three years then decide if it's what you want to do.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

yep, what he said. Absolutley, trade training is less of a ball ache than basic and once you get to Regt you can always marry your bird if you want and get a pad.

5. The big mistake is hanging on to the old life, if you can't let go and immerse yourself in your new life as a soldier then I would pack it in now. Thinking that your school friends and girlfriend are the be all and end all in life is small town thinking, if thats who you are then so be it. If however you can grow up a bit and open your mind to the possibilty that there may be more to life than what you experienced with your peers at school then press on with the training.

You might not be the Mr Popular or part of the old clique anymore like when you were at school and you might not like being shat on but that's the adult world, you will have to work at it.

The platoon are your mates now, focus your efforts there.

6. I think everyone goes through a period like this, especially in Phase 1. I know I did - it's a big change from your old life and adjusting can be tough, but you get more freedoms as you go on through your career.

Dig deep and develop the mental strength you need to soldier on, you'll come out the other side a far better man.

7. Yep. Hang in there.

Once in your unit you'll visit lots of exotic countries, conduct loads of adventure training and be housed in the most up to date accommodation. Plus you'll get meals which would put a michelin star restaurant to shame.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Give it time, young feller.
    I was engaged when I put pen to paper, we went through exactly what you are going
    through now.......ugh! been married 43 yrs and still think the world of each other.

You have joined one of the most exclusive clubs in the world, with better mates
    than any civvy can be...no question, look ahead always...never look back.

Comes the day you are on leave and your civvy Mates ask you what it's like, tell
    'em it's a right basterd but you wouldn't miss it for the world.

I, like most of the old 'uns, would give everything to do it all over again but they
    wouldn't let us coz we're just too fcuking hard!!!!!

9. So what's the difference between phase 1 avd 2?

10. As everyone else has said. Stick with it.

It's always hard being away, but just throw yourself into it and you'll soon find yourself having a better time and not missing home much.

One thing you'll realise after a while is that you aren't missing anything at home. It's always the same. What you are doing is far more interesting. I didn't go home for 6 months through training and it was difficult intially (mainly because I was an immature oik) but as it carried on, I gelled with the lads and they became my new family and I stopped missing home much at all. I definitely didn't miss the girl-friend as I spent every opportunity hanging out of the back of anything I could grab hold of.

I'm now in a 9-5 job after 15 years of sodding about with no pattern. I thought I'd enjoy it, but I've got restless feet and you don't get anywhere near the same amount of time off.

It was hard at the start, but I wouldn't change it for the world now. Bloody brilliant once settled in.

11. Phase 1 you're treated like an utter ****. Phase 2 you're just treated like a ****.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Phase 1 you're treated like an utter ****. Phase 2 you're just treated like a ****.

chap, the real army is much better than training..and if you get sent to germany you won't know what hit you! Stick it out and find out..all the best

13. Jack. Jack right now. I guarantee that the minute the gate closes behind you and it suddenly dawns on you what you've thrown down the pan, you'll regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. In regards to overall life?

Free time
    Time off
    Working day times
    Treatment you receive is it as brutal as phase 1 and 2?
    Locker inspections?
    Block jobs?

15. Fcuk me, are you living under our stairs.....Chez Arters is like that now.
    If you think your Staff are giving you gip, spend a week with my money guzzler and
    you'll be back through the Camp gates quicker than you can say 'Fat Fcuking Slag'