In the Stew

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Spank-it, Apr 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was dabbling with the idea of making a stew, so I sent swampy knickers out to buy the goodies for it. Beef, Taties, Carrots and wot not.

However, droopie drawers came back with Oxo and Bovril for the stock.

The kiddies are eager to taste dad's homemade Lancashire snot pot.

Sooooo, in your humble opinions what's best ?

Attached Files:

2. Now that is a plan.

Attached Files:

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Dash of Tabasco in my stews.

4. I use oxo plus half a teaspoon of marmite plus Bisto powder to thicken the stock

5. did you season the pot first, cook in it on a previous occasion and then not wash it for a week? It all adds flavour. If you can get a Kero heater (of sorts) so you can all stand around with your racing spoons digging in.

6. Oxo and corn flour is what I use. Marmite as suggested above might be good to darken up the stew a little.

7. I use neither. (As it happens, I just had stew for tea)

Quantities irrelevant, just add more of what you like most.

Carrots
    Onions
    Celery
    Beef or Lamb, chopped roughly, still on the bone
    Potatoes, lots of

Fry carrots, onions and celery in a small amount of very hot sunflower oil. Take them out then do the same with the meat. Then put the veg back in the pot and fill to the top with council pop. Bring to the boil, simmer for five minutes then skim the cr*p from the surface. Add two bayleaves, salt and a good level teaspoon of fresh ground pepper (depending on how hot you like it), then simmer for an hour and a half. Then add the potatoes and simmer for a further hour. To finish, you can either;

Leave as it is for a watery stew,
    Keep boiling it until the potatoes disintegrate, thickening the stew, or
    Stir in some gravy granules.

I'd advise against using Marmite for darkening it, try picking up a bottle of gravy browning for about 50p, does the trick without tainting the flavour. Unless you like Marmite, in which case fill yer boots.

8. Oxo plus a bit of madras curry powder.

Surprisingly tamari adds a reasonable flavour, a good dash thereof.
    As a base fry up some onions, add thick-cut mushrooms, when done add some stock the oxo etc. leave to simmer for a minute or two then put into stew pan with a handful of basil and a bay leaf, add the rest.
    Thicken with cornflour if necessary.

A glass of beer, guiness or real ale for the best results, no gassy lager and away you go. ( maybe not the best with the curry powder)

9. what about barley and split peas, couple of slices of bread, peas and stuff

is it an all in stew or a specfic stew, if its all in (question answered) but if its a lanc hot pot, thats to specfic to comment on.

I tried one once (all in stew) I liked it, but my family decided Macdonalds was more appealing

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Marmite dripped over roast spuds 5 min before the end of cooking's a winner!!

11. You could use this instead of half the water for a richer flavour.

12. How boring is this thread zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzz zzzz zzz

:sleepy:

13. Thanks guys, some great ideas.

One top notch stew coming up.

14. on what is Sum Yun Guy.