In the next few hours

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by notinmyname, Mar 18, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the next few hours, a savage pre-emptive attack will commence on Iraq; I say this with a huge sigh.
    This situation has come about because of inept political manoeuvring and a shortsighted view of the Middle East. I know I have stirred emotions on this site some of it intended some done with innocent intent. I still cannot support in anyway shape or form our actions in the Gulf region. BUT. I do hope all the forces come home safe, as much as I have demonstrated my opinion against using force, and our forces not being used, I fully understand that they are the pawns of the fools, and the tools of the shameless suits. I have debated with many on this site the rights and wrongs of this episode of our history. What I have found is most and I do mean most, fully understand and to a certain amount agree with my thoughts as to why we are where we are today. My only fear now is that as the killing starts, an escalation develops throughout the region, where Muslims even in agreeance with the military action, start to see killing of innocents, which without doubt will happen, this may change opinion, the same as if planes full of bodies start to arrive on our shores. All I can now do is hope that the invasion is short and the fighting is not confined to cities and streets. My last thought goes to the future, as promised will the world be a safer place after Iraq has been conquered, I doubt it :mad: :mad:, that is the lie and shame Bush and Bliar will have to face.
  2. But can the troops in harms way count on your support?
  3. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

In a way reading what has been said above, I think they can. What I hope transpires (and I say this not to spark vitriol) is that the FF call off the action planned for the 20/3 in support of the armed forces as we are so heavily committed that having to cover a strike may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back :( Have your strike if you must, but please do the decent thing and wait until the shooting stops and the guys start coming home. If the FF do that they will win back a lot of the respect that has been lost over the past few months.

That being said, there are a lot of things I am unhappy with. I am content that Saddam is a threat, and that the world would be a better place without him. Tony Blair has lost all of my confidence in the way he has attempted to lie, spin, and deceieve the British public into believeing there is a greater threat than the one that actually exists. He is an opportunist riding on Bush's coat-tails posturing on the world stage in the Emperor's Clothes that is his self-rightous indignation.  I suspect that history will judge him harshly when it concludes that Blair sees this conflict as his "Falklands", a victory he thinks will ride him through the next General Election to a 3rd term in office, that is all he cares about.

That being said, I saw the pictures in saturday's papers of our guys out there in the final stages of preperation. I count friends too numerous to mention out there, and for the first time I feel a real sense of dissapointment at not being there with them and at having to watch from the sidelines.

We'll see them on the other side.
    Amen to that.....

...and this plea goes out to those FFs visiting ARRSE during the forthcoming operation:...kindly STFU while they do their job.

Ta! ;)
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

It appears they have according to Sky News!

I agree with the Old Retired Groundie, missing out on the Op does grip ones $hit, but you can't go to them all, I can only hope they all come home safe- as we all do!
  6. PTP
    No!!! Im sorry but I cannot support aggression used in this way, I say with the utmost sincerity that I do not want to see any British service man/woman, hurt killed in military action. BUT the reasons for this dire spectacle and how they have come about, dont make me feel any stronger that what we as a nation are right, justified or legal in what the government is about to set in motion. History unfortunately will decide if we are right or wrong, but I think the effects of this action will be felt for years to come. :( :(
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I was very much against the idea of a war a while ago.

My mind has been changed slowly and now that it is inevitable I am 110% behind the troops out there.

I agree with what ORG said. I too was there for the GW1 and find it very strange now watching it all unfold on TV. I wish I was there now to help out but it is not to be.

Good luck to one and all who are about to go into battle.
  8. Just been listening to the sirens going off in Kuwait city, very erie to imagine what must be going on, what it must be like.  As a genetically mutated large civilian type with a mate out there just like to say"bon chance" to all involved.  From what I know and the few cracking blokes I've met you'll do us proud,  (Excuse the French).
    Notinmyname I sincerely believe that no one is going to deliberately target civilians.  If there are civilian casualties and it turns nasty remember, "it is politics which begets war.  Politics represents the intelligence, war merely its instrument, not the other way around."

Remember if you feel this strongly about what is going on then use your vote wisely.  Only 59% of those eligible to vote turned out in the last election, only 20% of those eligible to vote voted for Blair and yet it is he that is in No 10 at the moment.  Those who look to Bush and the Florida debacle as an example of electoral shenanigans should perhaps examine our own system first.

We may have been let down by our political leaders but I would rather have a leader who has strong moral and political convictions no matter how much I disagree with them than someone who colluded with Vichy France, whose morality is questionable and who before this all started was to be investigated for corruption.  To quote Monty, (albeit entirely out of context)

"This sort of thing maybe tolerated by the French, but we are British - thank God."
  9. With apologies to Sean Pertwee  and C/Sgt Bourne

"Now Now Mr. NotInMyName , shut up, there's a good FireGentleman, you're scaring my lads" :)
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Have heard on Sky that Mosel in the north is under attack and there is an advance from JORDAN!
  11. judging by the non stop news all day on nearly every channel, i reckon they must have as many reporters over there as troops....

I dont know about anyone else, but there is something seriously wrong with a minute by minute blow of the action in the front line.....  especially when you think back to the 82 FI conflict, when you got a round up on the 6:00 news.

just to add my sentiments, good luck the lads and lasses and come home safe...
  12. To be honest, I have found Sky sensationalistic today. I usually can see through there BS, but today it's been a bit harder!

I am glad of the coverage one hour, then totally freaked the next. Typical woman ....
  13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You have my sympathies Lucy, I know you have a loved one out there. It must be very difficult watching this unfold. You are in my thoughts.

I was there last time and did not see any of the coverage. I find it magnetic in some way. I cannot pull myself away from watching it.

I really hope this pans out as planned with very very few casualties.
  14. Thanks Org Sgt... I know what you mean about magentic though. What the hell makes the jurnos go and do it? No training (military), at high risk from capture (Yvonne Ridley) bloody good chance of getting a cap in their ass and they still choose to do it?????? :-/

Yes they must get well paid - but HELLO ??? ::)