In the Navy......

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by polar69, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any matelot types answer me a simple question.

I know the Senior service have many different dress "rigs"

This weekend I was at an army camp, there were some Navy types there doing what appeared to be fire training and first aid, yearly stuff I imagine.

Anyway, they were all dressed in what I imagine is working dress, dark blue shirt and dark blue/black trousers.

What intrigued us was that non of them wore belts, now even the RAF wear belts.

So is this part of their working dress not to wear a belt, is it health and safety in case it gets stuck on a submarine emergency off switch or what ?

Or is there a blatent lack of belts in the senior service bought about by those penny pinching lackeys in number 10 ?????

2. The Iranians took them; did you notice if any of them were missing shoelaces as well?

3. They are just scruffy C=NTS

4. What you seen is called No4's and it is Improved Action Working Dress (IAWD). No, you do not wear a belt with it-it is a potential snagging hazard going down ladders/through hatches onboard. It is a (supposed) fire retardant uniform.

It's not designed to be a smart uniform-it has a purpose and that is to be worn onboard.

Shoreside, ratings wear No3's which is white shirt and black trousers with a belt.

5. Cheers Matey :p

No whinge about standard of dress, we just wondered and assumed it was the snag thing !

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

What he said.

It is also worth remembering that it's not just the Army that has it's own rules for allyness and fashion when in rig.

During my seafaring days it was considered particularly 'de-rigour' to have your name written in tip ex on the back of your 'steaming bats' (boots), your collar turned inside out whilst wearing overalls, and a sharp 'bullshit' crease ironed horizontally accross your back. Whilst this may seem strange to outsiders, remember there are some members of the Army who waste a large amount of effort (not to mention cash) deliberately altering their uniform for the sake of alleyness.

7. Yeah, from my limited experience with the senior service, they seem to have similar dress standards when on land, or in port, but the second they are out to sea, well, anything goes, very much wearing what is comfortable and good for the job, including the almost universal dropping of headdress.

8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Correct.

Headdress is never worn between decks or indoors and once you are at sea the ship is essentially an airfield so head gear is considered a FOD hazard. You also have to take into account that there is one ironing board per mess so for 50 lads to iron their kit everyday just isn't going to happen. However it is surprising how everyone manages to iron their civvies in record time as soon as you get alongside!

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Is it true that you navy chaps have about 8 different uniforms depending on the occasion?

10. Your right it's not or is the fat Navy cnut I work with just a fat lazy barsteward who thinks 'iron' is just a form of metal! I think he wears it though as it's the only uniform he's got that fits him as the rest of the Navy contingent here wear No3 dress! And all he does is moan that he's not been promoted! 'I've been a CPO for 20 years now, blah, blah' Fnuck of fat lazy cnut!

Bad press for the Navy. That's it rant over!

11. What happened to No 8's?

And No. 1's as worn by senior officers and admirals?

And No 4 shirts with detachable collars?

And, in fact, winged collars. Are those still issued?

And dashing, Tom Cruise style 'ice cream suit' tropical kit instead of those bloody awful safari suits?

And drill boots with smooth soles that you can use for skating even when there's no ice?

And SLRs?

And Bofors guns?

And WWI surplus mines?

And flogging?

And biscuits with weevils in them?

Dear God, it's all gone down hill since I left.

12. [​IMG]

Oh dear oh dear.....

13. Now then, boyo, what the fcuk would you know about going to sea? :D
    This is the normal rig we wore on Orient 92...

[​IMG]

14. They were a real joy on the highly polished floors at Dartmouth until you got them scuffed up. Watching the new intake taking corners at speed was always a good spectator sport.