In the market for a new laptop

Afternoon all you fine folks. I am looking for a new laptop - I currently have a Lenovo Ideapad 300 which does ok, Corei7, 64 bit, 8GB ram, USB 3.0 slots. 15.6 inch screen I think. However it is getting on a bit and is quite heavy and bulky. I am looking for some pointers as to what is good currently, same or better performance, much lighter/sleeker. I mainly use it for some work and a lot of internet browsing, so a good sharp screen is a must, decent speed and connectivity. I don't play any games, nor do I store much on it. Before I go spending hours doing comparisons, who might be offering good deals at the moment on some decent spec machines (I would prefer mainstream brands)?

Thanks

If you're not worried about gaming, a Microsoft Surface might be an option, it's makes a great tablet and PC and is pretty lightweight
Now that they're sorted the Surface is a good bit of kit, expensive though.

Now that they're sorted the Surface is a good bit of kit, expensive though.
True, but like most IT stuff wait for the next model to be about to be released and look for bargains for the current one

Apart from teething issues with keyboard when they first came out, never had an issue with them, they're what Windows 10 was always really intended for

Afternoon all you fine folks. I am looking for a new laptop - I currently have a Lenovo Ideapad 300 which does ok, Corei7, 64 bit, 8GB ram, USB 3.0 slots. 15.6 inch screen I think.

Thanks
What is your budget? Does it have to be new? Recently second-hand models can be had at considerable savings (I recently bought an HP Elitebook 840 I7-4600U, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD on eBay for £275 - price when new: £1200. It’s perfect for what I do, which sounds similar to what you do).

Budget is around £1000 I suppose. I used HP laptops at my last job and was completely underwhelmed by them - had a brand new one and the fan was always on, and I don't like the touchscreen it came with either.

I would prefer new.

I swear by Asus. Two screws hold the back on too, so easy to bung in an SSD and more RAM, although for approx £300 you will get a decent machine for doing officey type stuff on. Batteries last a decent amount of time.

*Nothing wrong with other brands, I just happen to like Asus