In the Company of Men

1994 ish documentary PoW Coy 1st Welsh Guards on Banner. Molly Dineen's work.

Interesting watch. And a stark reminder of how grim the province was back then.

Wonder if anyone on here features in it?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Heartbreaklane: Greetings 1994: , are you serious when you write 'How grim the province was back then'?

Heartbreaklane: Greetings 1994: , are you serious when you write 'How grim the province was back then'?
Yes, well, I guess it was grim from 69 onwards. Can't speak as to its current grimness, as last visit was 2007. It had certainly improved during my time there between 2003 and 2007.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Heartbreaklane Greetings: I agree what you say, but it compares nothing like the 1971 to 76 tours, they just wouldn't stroll around and looking into shops etc, it was 'Hard targeting' for whole patrols. and arriving back at base after two hours completely knackered!

Heartbreaklane Greetings: I agree what you say, but it compares nothing like the 1971 to 76 tours, they just wouldn't stroll around and looking into shops etc, it was 'Hard targeting' for whole patrols. and arriving back at base after two hours completely knackered!
For Fucks sake another "My war was harder than yours" zoomer

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
For Fucks sake another my war was harder than yours zoomer
Certainly not always, but mostly!... Now go and get breakfast and contemplate the issue!

Certainly not always, but mostly!... Now go and get breakfast and contemplate the issue!
By the way my reference to 'grim' was as in the general demeanour of the place, not how 'lively' things were. Clearly the early 70s win the prize there. As my old man keeps reminding me. The zoomer.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
And here lies the answer as to why there are not more serving soldiers on here anymore..... FFS.

Regular serving ORs on ARRSE.
It's just a comparison and that's all! Another comparison is that no one on here of pre Afgan vintage can compare their service with the Afgan tours, which was by far, much worse than anything that I ever encountered.

Cracking series- I liked the studious cigarette smoking poses and the silk lined combat jackets. Very 'Guards of its Day' and always an amusing/interesting watch.

You know nowt " When I were a lad" ..........

Great to see "smoking" in the office. Happy days. I could never understand why before the smoking ban, it wasn't allowed in the "welders" bay

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Wonder what became of him? SSC and the City probably.
The course he was preparing for was PCBC, he failed the APFA on day 1 and was RTU'd. I never saw him again but I did hear a rumour at one point that he had become a padre.

Fancy your chances in Sangin ? That's Sangin in Helmand not Sangar where you smoke and thrown yourself about over a fiesta readers wife