In the age of the internet is greater knowledge really power ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BounceBanana, May 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The internet is a powerful tool for acquiring knowledge quickly and for acquiring information slowly.

On sites, like Arrse, there are always the internet warriors who use PMs to send some abuse. I imagine them as saddos, in bedsits heating some watery cheap shop soup over a candle, whose only sense of effectiveness is to spew bile anonymously. Tapping furiously as they draw on single strand hand rolled fags.

But there are also PMs and emails from proper human beings who give information. In all the time I have bounced for information on internet I have received a lot of information. But amongst that only two sources willing to give evidence. One was a former Royal Marine Commando who, once assured the Jimbo had no Crown Authority, stated willing to give Kent Police evidence. The other gave me a statement of truth that I have used in Court and in reports to Govt.

For all the personal accounts about benefits and ATOS it is only groups like "We are Spartacus" who have Govt in Court having gained consent for judicial review (The 20 metre PIP walking distance test I think) and that could have happened without internet.

It was on an ARRSE thread that someone mentioned the repeal of the Common Law of Misprision of Felony by Harold Wilson (I think) 1967. And it got me thinking (having checked out what Misprision of Felony was) what a profound change such a simple repeal may have had. It heralded the age of the "Don't wanna get involved don't wanna take responsibility". And this is the age and ethos of the generations who now use the internet.

The only application of knowledge is to express an opinion to the ether to achieve nothing.

The illusion of influence with the post 1967 reality of freedom from consequence.

And some deluded people even call the expression of opinion on internet their right of freedom of expression.

Like many I suspect, who trod the parade square in the 1960s in basic training, I heard the Sergeant major tell us "You have a right to moan, but not where I can f-cking hear you but you do not have a right to try to change anything"

The internet is a powerful tool or it would be if in the hands of a stronger generation.

2. Lovely Garlic sausage and scrambled egg for lunch.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sorry BB, but that made no ******* sense whatsoever.

4. It'll only make sense if you're psychotic like him.

5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

BB- I've just had a look at the plethora of threads you have started - nearly all of them are about police, politics and immigration.

Just a suggestion - have you thought about signing up to a police-themed forum?

This is ARRSe, you see - a loosely themed MILITARY website forum whereby overweight members of the public who once thought about joining the cadets get to top-trump anybody else who has an opinion on anything with their expert opinions, shortly before entering a bunfight of epic proportions, which then sets-up a counter thread of abuse (normally at a Mod's abilities to moderate), which then sets up an infraction for that individual, which then sets up a counter-counter thread by that individual to whinge about said infraction, which then sets up...

You get the picture.

In other words, anything OTHER than police stuff. Or at least police stuff we understand. Can you knock it off now please? My head hurts.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Knowledge does not equate to Power,Albert Einstein was incredibly knowledgable but lacked the power to halt the development of Nuclear Weapons.

Or using the Internet.

Knowledge is a familiarity with someone or something, which can include facts, information, descriptions, or skills acquired through experience or education. It can refer to the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject. It can be implicit (as with practical skill or expertise) or explicit (as with the theoretical understanding of a subject); it can be more or less formal or systematic.In philosophy, the study of knowledge is called epistemology; the philosopher Plato famously defined knowledge as "justified true belief." However, no single agreed upon definition of knowledge exists, though there are numerous theories to explain it.
    Knowledge acquisition involves complex cognitive processes: perception, communication, association and reasoning; while knowledge is also said to be related to the capacity of acknowledgment in human beings.

Cut and Pasted from Wiki,and shows just how powerful I am not and even less knowledgable than the average Arrser.

7. I read that book at school,or to be more honest that's how all the books seemed to me.

8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Apart from resources like JStor I find most of the information on the interweb pretty frikkin useless in regards to increasing knowledge...rubbish in rubbish out in regard to meta searching. That said the news feeds can be useful to keep one abridge of world affairs, given, and arrse is good to discuss.

Nothing like doing a Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, publishing articles, then a book or two passing through established publishers to sort the wheat from the chaff. A joint, 5 minutes on Dreamweaver, and resulting webpage does not knowledge make.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I think I can summarise, pre '67 we were compelled by law to be grasses; today's kids are all pussies because they can get to know lots of stuff off the interweb & don't grass.

Are you wanting us all to grass up any benefits claimants we spot on Youtube making it past their front gates???? I'll be carefully looking for evidence on Big Boobs ( . Y . ) Big Tits™ Official Site while we're waiting for a reply.

10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

That Harold Wilson still has my pound in his pocket, though.

11. Bounce Banana eats peyote clearly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm sure his account could be set up to send every thread straight to the hole.

13. I'm sure Earth and Domovoy would soon make up the bullshit vacuum left behind in such an event.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

• Like Like x 1
  14. What has always concerned me is these type of people are amongst us all the time.

15. I love how the word-jumble spam actually makes a tiny bit more sense than the original post.

• Like Like x 1