Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Search of the Zeppelin War

pic via google search
Does this only show 1915 raids? Wondering as it doesn't show raids on Hartlepool and Middlesbrough, none of which were massively effective though one of which resulted in the loss of L34.

Navigation was awful. Most Zeppelin flights were cancelled due to bad weather. They were worse than useless in cloud and didn't dare go low.

One raid dropped bombs in Herts.

They were aiming for Leeds.
Most of their navigation would have been dead reckoning. Sure, they had astro, but on a cloudy night it would be useless. At the slow speeds they flew and with their huge surface area, they would have been very prone to wind blowing them of course and they would have had little means of estimating how much.

Does this only show 1915 raids? Wondering as it doesn't show raids on Hartlepool and Middlesbrough, none of which were massively effective though one of which resulted in the loss of L34.

dunno

&

I thought this-

contained some interesting info ?

A zeppelin raid made mode damage than I thought....

Thanks for putting that link up. I had no idea at all of the extent of the Zeppelin raids and how much damage they caused (to be multiplied many times over at the later "big show" , the enormity of which was kept secret until just a few years ago).
We were taught nothing about this at school and how much the streets with which I was very familiar were affected.
Another revelation is that, although always portrayed as being very slow and ponderous, the airships could travel at up to 85 mph.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

syrup

LE
9 Killed and 40 injured in Nunthorpe Grove area of York in May 1916.
People heard explosions and came out into the street to see what was going on.
I think there may have been a second raid as I'm sure one of the local schools in the area has a plaque to some of the kids and staff killed in a WW1 air raid.
Incidentally Nunthorpe Grove has a dip in the road where a Halifax from Linton on Ouse crashed just after take off in WW2
That also killed all the crew and a number of civilians

Sexton Blake

War Hero
For anyone interested there does exist a well established Staff Ride (or civvie lead tour) through London which retraces the route of the most destructive Zeppelin raid of WW1 by Captain lieutenant Heinrich Mathy on 8 Sep 1915.

It is a cracking 3 - 4 hour walk starting near Holborn and finishing at Liverpool Street. Not only do you see some evidence of the raid (especially outside St Barts Hospital) but tons of other London ‘factoids’, burial sights, film set locations and of course a few choice pubs on the way.

The civvie tour can cost between £200 - £600 per group. Once I relocate from sunny Cornwall closer to commutable distance to Town I will be offering up my services as a guide, totally gratis, for any mil, cadet or Arrse social group who fancy a half day bimble in London.

For anyone interested there does exist a well established Staff Ride (or civvie lead tour) through London which retraces the route of the most destructive Zeppelin raid of WW1 by Captain lieutenant Heinrich Mathy on 8 Sep 1915.

It is a cracking 3 - 4 hour walk starting near Holborn and finishing at Liverpool Street. Not only do you see some evidence of the raid (especially outside St Barts Hospital) but tons of other London ‘factoids’, burial sights, film set locations and of course a few choice pubs on the way.

The civvie tour can cost between £200 - £600 per group. Once I relocate from sunny Cornwall closer to commutable distance to Town I will be offering up my services as a guide, totally gratis, for any mil, cadet or Arrse social group who fancy a half day bimble in London.
I did one of those when I joined MB years ago....really interesting walk!

Immediately experiments started on launching fighters from gun turrets, and the first Zeppelin was splashed later in 1916 by an aircraft launched from the cruiser HMS Yarmouth.

The first airship (note: not a Zeppelin) to be shot down over the UK was on the night of 2/3 Sep 16 over Cuffley in Hertfordshire by Lt Leefe-Robinson RFC, flying a BE2c from No 39 Sqn based at Hornchurch, Essex. He was subsequently awarded the VC but ironically died of Spanish Flu in Dec 18.

You are referring to Zeppelin L23 which was shot down on 21 Aug 17 by 2/Lt Smart flying a Sopwith Pup launched as you described.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

HE117

LE
My dad witnessed the Zeppelin raid on Edinburgh on 2-3 April 1916 from his house in Belleview.. it dropped a bomb not far from where he lived which broke a lot of windows. He was six at the time and could remember seeing the airships in the sky, so there must have been some sort of illumination.

There had been a warning given and my grandparents had moved the family down to a basement flat. The woman who owned the flat was terrified of a gas attack and had provided cotton wool pads for everyone...

Latest Threads