In praise of the BBC - What do they do well?

Which BBC services would you miss?

• BBC1

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • BBC2, BBC4

Votes: 50 31.4%
  • News 24

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • World Service

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Popular music - Radio 1, Radio 2

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • Classical - Radio 3, Eclectic music - Radio 6

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Radio 4 and / or regional stations / Asian

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Radio 4 on 198 KHz Long Wave, 5 Live

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 73 45.9%

• Total voters

endure

GCM
Without trawling the whole thread, the bits of the BBC which stick in my memory as being really worthwhile are the coverage of major events ( pre about 1980), Watch With Mother and the Interludes.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Anyone mentioned the six nations? That's the only thing I'd miss if the bbc were canned tomorrow. Thinking again, I think they cover the Olympics well. Radio 3 ain't bad. I like sophie raworth.
I used to be non committed about our local bbc news. It always seemed non committed politically, but about 6 months ago a switch seemed to have been thrown, and to my mind they are now following in the biased footsteps of the parent organisation.

Would I lie to you is brilliant.. non of the snide leftie commentary that seems de rigueur for other shows of that type.

On the whole though, I'd be happy to pay for the six nations and little else if the bbc were converted to a subscription outfit..

Anyone mentioned the six nations? That's the only thing I'd miss if the bbc were canned tomorrow. Thinking again, I think they cover the Olympics well. Radio 3 ain't bad. I like sophie raworth.
I used to be non committed about our local bbc news. It always seemed non committed politically, but about 6 months ago a switch seemed to have been thrown, and to my mind they are now following in the biased footsteps of the parent organisation.

Would I lie to you is brilliant.. non of the snide leftie commentary that seems de rigueur for other shows of that type.

On the whole though, I'd be happy to pay for the six nations and little else if the bbc were converted to a subscription outfit..
Not sure I agree with the contention the 6 Nations and Olympics are covered well. For me the 6N suffers from an overwhelming desire to examine the backstory of the players, extending their coverage way beyond that I have any interest in.

I like to watch the rugby not have a social commentary on social deprivation in the valley. They also seem to have a pecking order for their championing of the participants usually in the order Wales, Scotland, England, Ireland, France and plucky old Italy. Their commentators and pundits could also do with an update, they would do well to watch ITV/Sky/BT for lessons in how it can be done.

Their Olympic coverage suffers from a surfeit of jingoism. It could also consider updating it commentary/pundits, their coverage appears to be an opportunity for retired athletes to remind us as to how brilliant they all were in their day and how wonderful they still are today.

It would also be informative if they revealed their commercial connections to the leading sports sponsors such as Nike etc, and any connections with the athletes being lauded in their commentary. Michael Johnson (Sp? ) being the exception who occasionally acknowledges his relationship in terms of coaching/management. This would explain some of their more convoluted unqualified support for some athletes.

Again the constant back stories are excessive, rather than concentrating on this aspect they could cover a more wide ranging variety of sports which may just interest their audience.

Apart from that they don’t do a bad job, I also do enjoy Would I Lie To You and am feeling much better having got that off my chest.

I do pass my feelings on to the BBC when surveyed but I have a suspicion that my comments get deleted as soon as I tick the over 60 and male buttons, especially as I use a harsh green font to fill in their questionnaire.

Ken M

Clanker
The BBC, like the NHS in Britain, is, rightly or wrongly ( both wrongly IMHO ) ingrained in the British psyche and are therefore unreformable in any truly meaningful sense. They will both plod on for eons.

Truxx

LE
Tricky one this, as my normal inclination is to bash the beeb.

Yet I have been all over the place, and whether grumpy old bastards like it or not the beeb really is the international gold standard.

When on form the BBC truly is the best in the world. The trouble is that its determination to be right- on and to judge itself not by its own. Standards but by ratings and focus groups and so on just takes their eye off tbe ball.

On the whole though, to those who think that binning their funding mechanism would sharpen them up I urge great caution.

See Pay as You Dine for details.

They are very good at making tv programs and radio shows that do not interest me in the slightest.

For radio I listen to internet stations (no annoying DJs) or one or two UK commercial stations.

For BBC tv it is rare that watch it apart from the occaisional documentary or music show.

To be honest some of the TV shows are mildly entertaining and just about beat a lot of the CH5, Channel 4 & ITV dross.

Ch5 - Celebrity everything, Britain's Favourite biscuit, Britain's favourite dog turd on the path . . serial Killer, ad infinitum
ITV - The Cube, Tipping point, Vera, Coronation St, Dreary doc's about nothing much interesting
Channel 4 - My Obnoxious vaginal discharge, Gogglebox . . WTF?

Although I do like the behind the scenes medical programs, well I did until BBC2's Hospital came along. It's just an hour of dripping NHS Managers/Doctors whining about budget cuts, lack of staff, etc. I'll wager the series producer was a Guardian staffer.

I do enjoy some of the BBC4, mainly on Friday. Feet up, watching the music docs. I even indulge in my secret vice of a bit of Country (especially after a few Vodka's). The Rich Hall series about US Southern music were particularly good.

I also enjoy Saturday Kitchen, Rick Stein's travels & Killing Eve, that's about it, the rest is background noise.

Overall, if you remove the blatant left-bias and the in-your-face-wokeness, it's slightly better than the low-brow ratings grabbing commercial rubbish,

That said, I've recently be introduced to Netflix and am working through the films at a great rate each night, so I'm starting to get by without any of the main 5 channels.

I'd say that BBC 4 is probably the best bit of BBC TV so obviously that's likely to go to save money. Talking Pictures Freeview 81 has a lot of old TV stuff and the contrast between that and modern drama is quite an eye opener.

Wiki has an interesting article on Talking pictures:

Radio 4 is still quite good apart from the daily whinefest that is Woman's Hour and the awful Archers.

In Our Time is excellent, why it's still going is a source of amazement to me. I suspect nobody at the BBC listens to it.

As has been observed the BBC is trying so hard to get a slice of the youth market. Going by my experience of the youth of today, they've all got Netflix and the rest and probably wouldn't notice if BBC TV vanished tomorrow.

Throw in Youtube and Freeview and the BBC only has the compulsory licence fee between it and oblivion.
An absurd letter from Mark Dinosaur / Damazar (who left them 10 years ago) in the Times today.
Tries to justify the disappearance of BBC Four, by saying we can all listen to Radio Four and Three – with a straight face, he seems to be suggesting Radio is a satisfactory replacement for Television.
Also claims relisting BBC Three attracts young people away from Netflix etc – even though another letter says many young people don’t pay the TV licence anyway, because they live at home, in student accommodation and the like.
He must be on a huge pension to try such bollocks.

I really, really like Sophie

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
There is some excellent stuff on the BBC website.
The historical articles, some of the security and technology stuff. It's all aimed at the layman, obviously, but I'd say it's mostly informative and impartial.
I think they have some well trusted and experienced security correspondents.

It is very "woke", but this is because the British Establishment / Deep State is unquestionably "woke". By this I mean although individuals may not be truly woke, the group think is unquestionable.
So when people criticise the BBC for being too "woke", what they are actually seeing is the British Establishment centre ground. The BBC is perhaps their only experience with the woke ideology.

The difference between RT and the BBC, is that RT know they are a propaganda tool, whereas the BBC genuinely think they are impartial. Their bias is subconscious.

There is some excellent stuff on the BBC website.
The historical articles, some of the security and technology stuff. It's all aimed at the layman, obviously, but I'd say it's mostly informative and impartial.
I think they have some well trusted and experienced security correspondents.

It is very "woke", but this is because the British Establishment / Deep State is unquestionably "woke". By this I mean although individuals may not be truly woke, the group think is unquestionable.
So when people criticise the BBC for being too "woke", what they are actually seeing is the British Establishment centre ground. The BBC is perhaps their only experience with the woke ideology.

The difference between RT and the BBC, is that RT know they are a propaganda tool, whereas the BBC genuinely think they are impartial. Their bias is subconscious.
‘Deep State?
You’re clearly BBC comedian.

Latest Threads