In praise of the BBC - What do they do well?

Which BBC services would you miss?

• BBC1

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • BBC2, BBC4

Votes: 50 31.4%
  • News 24

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • World Service

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Popular music - Radio 1, Radio 2

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • Classical - Radio 3, Eclectic music - Radio 6

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Radio 4 and / or regional stations / Asian

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Radio 4 on 198 KHz Long Wave, 5 Live

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 73 45.9%

• Total voters

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am normally a critic of the beeb, especially their ever present left leaning political correctness and (to me anyway) anti white British attitude especially when linked with our former African colonies! Where an awful lot of re-writing of the true facts seem to appear, to show "white bad, black good", despite there being good & bad in both colours.
However yesterday evening flicking through the tv's channels I stumbled on this BBC Scotland - Harry Birrell Presents Films of Love and War
I came in a bit late showing Harry Birrell as a Gurkha officer in WW2 India with some good clips of Gurkhas training. Somehow he had wangled quite a bit of colour film to use.
His Grand daughter found the boxes of film & persuaded a director Matt Pinder to piece together a film using his film clips & exerts from his diary.
So possibly another channel apart from BBC Scotland could have shown it apart from BBC4 where I caught it!
The bits on his time & experience with the Gurkhas are great, showing clips of Nepal, India and the area around Imphal and his foray surveying behind Jap lines in Burma.
His affection for his Gurkha, India tribal troops is evident, chiming in with my & most others who have served with good colonial troops in both India and Africa!
D'accord!

One wonders if this would have made it to the screen had it not been for the desperation to fill screen time, but I am glad it did.

If you haven't seen it try on Catch-up, worth a look to see what life was like in the 30s/40s.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't watch the BBC any more but tonight was persuaded to watch BBC 4 at 1900. Excellent programme watching shepherds (and a young newbie shepherdess) bringing the sheep down off Scafell Pike. Just for a change the BBC achieved an excellent presentation with no whispering idiots telling us what might be going to happen. Just a drone, camera on a shepherd and a camera on a sheep. 10/10 for this one from my point of view.
It would be nice if BBC documentaries could all be like that without the usual diversity/equality/lies assembled for the masses.

endure

GCM
I don't watch the BBC any more but tonight was persuaded to watch BBC 4 at 1900. Excellent programme watching shepherds (and a young newbie shepherdess) bringing the sheep down off Scafell Pike. Just for a change the BBC achieved an excellent presentation with no whispering idiots telling us what might be going to happen. Just a drone, camera on a shepherd and a camera on a sheep. 10/10 for this one from my point of view.
It would be nice if BBC documentaries could all be like that without the usual diversity/equality/lies assembled for the masses.

Funnily enough I caught a similar program a day or so earlier showing a hot air balloon flying over the Lakes as well. Lots a fabulous views with just the odd comment from the old chap "flying" it!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Make the licence fee a voluntary donation so the BBC has to actually earn its' income, rather than be fed it with a silver shovel.

A few months later and I think the one BBC channel I would miss would be BBC4. Although much of the content goes on to appear on BBC2, I'd rather watch BBC4 than BBC2 with it's biased Newsnight etc. The best show on BBC News 24 is Click but there is always the Internet. Quite a few repeats on BBC4, which isn't always a bad thing but there is the risk it starts getting like Dave. I must be the wrong kind of viewer :rolleyes:

Just had a quick look at the electronic Programme Guide. There's a DJ on BBC Asian Network called Bobby Friction.
:rofl:Ocht ma bobby! Ouch! Tae much friction!

There is an excellent Norwegian series on BBC Four, Saturday nights, at the moment – State of Happiness, regarding the discovery of oil in Stavanger, 1969.

Read an interview with the writer a few days ago. She said she resisted any messages about fossil fuels and the like.

Well done her.

I can't deny that BBC Cbeebies was a god send, to keep my son happy and content and used to produce some decent comedy. When its in the mood, it can capture the mood of the nation.... Channelling swiss tony, the BBC is like a beautiful woman and like all beautiful woman who have begun to age, its also fcuking bat s*** crazy and completely tin eared about criticism.

philc

LE
A few months later and I think the one BBC channel I would miss would be BBC4. Although much of the content goes on to appear on BBC2, I'd rather watch BBC4 than BBC2 with it's biased Newsnight etc. The best show on BBC News 24 is Click but there is always the Internet. Quite a few repeats on BBC4, which isn't always a bad thing but there is the risk it starts getting like Dave. I must be the wrong kind of viewer :rolleyes:
Not sure if your aware, but BBC4 is going, which is about the only channel I watch, cost saving exercise and plans to bring 3 back.

Chef

LE
I'd say that BBC 4 is probably the best bit of BBC TV so obviously that's likely to go to save money. Talking Pictures Freeview 81 has a lot of old TV stuff and the contrast between that and modern drama is quite an eye opener.

Wiki has an interesting article on Talking pictures:

Radio 4 is still quite good apart from the daily whinefest that is Woman's Hour and the awful Archers.

In Our Time is excellent, why it's still going is a source of amazement to me. I suspect nobody at the BBC listens to it.

As has been observed the BBC is trying so hard to get a slice of the youth market. Going by my experience of the youth of today, they've all got Netflix and the rest and probably wouldn't notice if BBC TV vanished tomorrow.

Throw in Youtube and Freeview and the BBC only has the compulsory licence fee between it and oblivion.

As has been observed the BBC is trying so hard to get a slice of the youth market. Going by my experience of the youth of today, they've all got Netflix and the rest and probably wouldn't notice if BBC TV vanished tomorrow.

Throw in Youtube and Freeview and the BBC only has the compulsory licence fee between it and oblivion.
and now BBC is looking to bring back it’s flop BBC 3 on double the budget as a netflix rival.

BlackDyke

War Hero
I'd say that BBC 4 is probably the best bit of BBC TV so obviously that's likely to go to save money. Talking Pictures Freeview 81 has a lot of old TV stuff and the contrast between that and modern drama is quite an eye opener.

Wiki has an interesting article on Talking pictures:

Radio 4 is still quite good apart from the daily whinefest that is Woman's Hour and the awful Archers.

In Our Time is excellent, why it's still going is a source of amazement to me. I suspect nobody at the BBC listens to it.

Talking Pictures is the best thing on TV.

and now BBC is looking to bring back it’s flop BBC 3 on double the budget as a netflix rival.
The problem with BBC 3 was very simple, the content was dire. Even the target audience weren't interested. Oddly though, when it started showing Top Gear people started tuning in.

endure

GCM
"In praise of the BBC - What do they do well?"

Their engineering and research is and always has been world class.

Latest Threads