In praise of the BBC - What do they do well?

Which BBC services would you miss?

• BBC1

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • BBC2, BBC4

Votes: 40 33.9%
  • News 24

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • World Service

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Popular music - Radio 1, Radio 2

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Classical - Radio 3, Eclectic music - Radio 6

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Radio 4 and / or regional stations / Asian

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Radio 4 on 198 KHz Long Wave, 5 Live

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 51 43.2%

• Total voters

endure

GCM
Apparently BBC2 has commissioned a series of programmes by Afua Hirsch on 'Whiteness' in the UK.

Now I'm as much a lefty commie pinko faggot as the next guy but are the Beeb so lacking in self awareness as to not realise just how offensive this will be to the 80+% of the population who are white?

Do they not value their own charter?

In a way I actually feel sorry for Hirsch. Given that she's a half white privately educated Oxbridge graduate qualified barrister who appears on and produces TV programmes whining about racism I suspect she's either on the make or suffers from OCD.

Alas, when I suggest that to my leftie mates (“isn’t equality, post-racial your thing....?), there always seems to be one more battle they want to win before.....

endure

GCM
Alas, when I suggest that to my leftie mates (“isn’t equality, post-racial your thing....?), there always seems to be one more battle they want to win before.....

You have to feel a bit sorry for people like Owen Jones. There he is on his white charger wanting to fight oppression and all the major battles have already been won.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You have to feel a bit sorry for people like Owen Jones. There he is on his white charger wanting to fight oppression and all the major battles have already been won.
No I fecking don't! :(

ugly

LE
Strictly is only the modern version of Come Dancing which ran from 1949 to 1998 ;-)
The celebrity version pushed by an organisation that thinks unless names are involved it wont get watched. It doesn't in this house, I haven't watched original BBC output for two years so far and I cant see me going back.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
In a way I actually feel sorry for Hirsch. Given that she's a half white privately educated Oxbridge graduate qualified barrister who appears on and produces TV programmes whining about racism I suspect she's either on the make or suffers from OCD.
How DARE you denigrate her blackness !

Your minority status is trumped by visual minority status.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

JCC

War Hero
I don't know. the bias does seem highly present to me, but then you see the left wibbling that they're a mouthpiece for the conservative party... **confused**

and the wokeness...jesus h christ.

bbc4 is pretty much the only thing that gets watched in this household. the music documentaries on a friday night are superb, and the science and history ones usually worth watching at the very least. the recent one titled 'project greenglow' - about the defence industry's search for antigravity - was a textbook example of what the bbc do well.
The probem is this...

There's quite a lot of oppression that dear Owen could go and fight, but then he'd actually have to be critical of certain areas of the world where the residents have a surplus of melanin or they face in the direction of a certain city five times a day, which might leave him open to having his favourite charge of "racism" being turned against him.

It's far easier for him to get upset over Northern Irish bakeries or calling the current Tory ministry racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, transphobic, etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

There's quite a lot of oppression that dear Owen could go and fight, but then he'd actually have to be critical of certain areas of the world where the residents have a surplus of melanin or they face in the direction of a certain city five times a day, which might leave him open to having his favourite charge of "racism" being turned against him.

It's far easier for him to get upset over Northern Irish bakeries or calling the current Tory ministry racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, transphobic, etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
Point of order re surplus :omfg:. Its only a surplus if it is not required. If I lived in a hot sunny country I'm sure I'd be glad of extra melanin for UV protection rather than slapping on sunblock every day. 8)

Jones on the other hand is surplus to requirements. He is welcome to preach abroad. :mrgreen:

endure

GCM

But that would mean he'd have to leave Islington...

Latest Threads