In praise of the BBC - What do they do well?

Which BBC services would you miss?

• BBC1

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • BBC2, BBC4

Votes: 40 33.9%
  • News 24

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • World Service

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Popular music - Radio 1, Radio 2

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Classical - Radio 3, Eclectic music - Radio 6

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Radio 4 and / or regional stations / Asian

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Radio 4 on 198 KHz Long Wave, 5 Live

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 51 43.2%

• Total voters

jg505

Old-Salt
£13 a month TV licence for what?

Netflix is half that price? Even NOW entertainment is less. They need to go to a paid service then, like I said, we'll see just how good they really are.

Bob65

Old-Salt
£13 a month TV licence for what?

Netflix is half that price? Even NOW entertainment is less. They need to go to a paid service then, like I said, we'll see just how good they really are.
That’s really the heart of the matter. If the BBC is even a fraction of the quality it’s supporters claim it is, it has nothing to fear from a subscription model and will wipe the floor with Netflix etc. But they actually know perfectly well that it isn’t and it won’t.

Whining Civvy

War Hero

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s really the heart of the matter. If the BBC is even a fraction of the quality it’s supporters claim it is, it has nothing to fear from a subscription model and will wipe the floor with Netflix etc. But they actually know perfectly well that it isn’t and it won’t.
Turn that slightly. If the BBC were a fraction of the value it claims to be, people would be strenuously defending the licence fee.

aardvark64

Old-Salt
Turn that slightly. If the BBC were a fraction of the value it claims to be, people punters would be strenuously defending the licence fee.
The only people I see defending the licence fee are those that benefit from it either financially (meeja luvies, left-wing has-been comics and Auntie apparatchiks) or those of a certain 'woke' political bias (including the extortion revisionists, don't-be-mean to cute-and-cuddly wed foxies, tyre-burst collective DNA enhancers, etc).

Where do I collect my gammon badge from? Harumph.

aardvark64

Old-Salt
/

Which was basically Terry & June with dog collars.
Or 'The Good Life' which was essentially Terry & June in spades.

Felicity Kendall, hmmm....

That the BBC do some excellent documentaries and natural history programmes is beyond doubt. Some of the comedy programmes were very good. That is until Political Corrrectness raised its ugly head.

I have commented before that the political indoctrination starts with the kids programmes on CBBC and Cbeebies - watching those with the grandchildren is an eye-opener.

I don't think the impartiality that is supposed to exist is there any longer and IMHO all news and current affairs programmes are agenda driven according to the politics of the programme producers - I now call BBC News by its alternative name - 'Campaign TV'.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bin it. It makes goebbels look like an amateur. It’s a woke orientated politically driven propaganda machine for liberal university educated ‘right on’ ok ya brigade who live on the back of mummy and daddy and did media studies or English at Nottingham and got a 2:1 and had a great time.

Sack them and bin it.

Overpaid dross, why are we continually paying through the nose for tired old has-beens and dull period dramas? The license payer is supporting the old boys network and skint toffs, that’s why. They’re only attempt at connecting with reality is that awful Graham Norton and the other d1ckhead Chris Evans. Don’t even get me started on the tw@s on a Radio 1 like Moyles, Cox et al. Acid bath the lot

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Overpaid dross, why are we continually paying through the nose for tired old has-beens and dull period dramas? The license payer is supporting the old boys network and skint toffs, that’s why. They’re only attempt at connecting with reality is that awful Graham Norton and the other d1ckhead Chris Evans. Don’t even get me started on the tw@s on a Radio 1 like Moyles, Cox et al. Acid bath the lot
Draw me a diagram which shows how Norton and Evans are connecting with reality.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know. the bias does seem highly present to me, but then you see the left wibbling that they're a mouthpiece for the conservative party... **confused**

and the wokeness...jesus h christ.

bbc4 is pretty much the only thing that gets watched in this household. the music documentaries on a friday night are superb, and the science and history ones usually worth watching at the very least. the recent one titled 'project greenglow' - about the defence industry's search for antigravity - was a textbook example of what the bbc do well.

I don't know. the bias does seem highly present to me, but then you see the left wibbling that they're a mouthpiece for the conservative party... **confused**

and the wokeness...jesus h christ.

bbc4 is pretty much the only thing that gets watched in this household. the music documentaries on a friday night are superb, and the science and history ones usually worth watching at the very least. the recent one titled 'project greenglow' - about the defence industry's search for antigravity - was a textbook example of what the bbc do well.
I missed that one. Thanks for flagging it up. Just found it:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I missed that one. Thanks for flagging it up. Just found it:
the fact that NASA and BAE now refuse to even talk about their AG research would, if nick cook's reasoning is sound, indicate that it paid off somewhere along the line - or at the very least, showed enough promise that someone higher up the food chain thought it was worth pursuing further. intriguing stuff to say the least.

Latest Threads