Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In praise of the BBC - What do they do well?

Which BBC services would you miss?

• BBC1

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • BBC2, BBC4

Votes: 51 31.3%
  • News 24

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • World Service

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Popular music - Radio 1, Radio 2

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • Classical - Radio 3, Eclectic music - Radio 6

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Radio 4 and / or regional stations / Asian

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Radio 4 on 198 KHz Long Wave, 5 Live

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 75 46.0%

• Total voters

Yokel

LE
They also make a lot of patronising 'human interest' nonsense with annoying, constant jingly music background soundtracks.

Sometime in the nineties there was an episode of Esther Rantzen's panel show in which girlie magazine models explained why they did it.

Sadly I did not see it. I think it was in 1995 or 1996. Is it archived anywhere? I wonder if it is on YouTube?

Just out of interest....

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
If you are quoting Eastenders as a viable social issue raising programme you are very much mistaken. It is total trash showing a fallacious view of living in the East End of London. In which Borough can the residents always find space to park their cars, and more importantly outside their house/Pub/garage etc? Eastenders - made by London Centric people to bluff the rest of the country that they don't live in a sh*t hole.

If I was caught fingering my bum hole in public and had to face the publicity of a court case, with all the media coverage, that would still be preferable to watching Eastenders.

The BBC make excellent documentaries about all sorts of subjects, health related ones, technology related ones, and history. They made groundbreaking programmes into the horrors of Nazism and the USSR under the leadership of Lenin and Stalin, about how Saddam Hussein hoodwinked Western companies into helping his weapons projects.

Even Eastenders has helped publicise social issues such as mental health, homelessness, drug abuse, HIV/AIDS, and others.
And then Simon Reeve came along and ruined all their good work.

What's wrong with Reeve's stuff? I thought his films were very informative, showing aspects usually missed by the media including corruption and millions of Euros from the EU being scammed by the mafia.
Not so much the content (although I could do without the ongoing saga about how bad the UK treated it’s former colonies) but it’s just his style, and lack thereof,I cannot warm to.

Been having a think, and i have come up with Morecambe and Wise, beyond that not sure

Oh!, Last night of the proms, they do that reasonably well

Last night of the proms is unwatchable now. Post 2016 Ref BBC were handing out EU Flags, last year was a Gay Pride event

David Attenborough's nature programmes were unmissable before he went all "Greta Thunberg". Now he's just ploughing a political furrow rather than an informative one. Shame really.

Pity Hans and Lotte Hass aren't still around, they were good as was that Cousteau fella.

David Attenborough's nature programmes were unmissable before he went all "Greta Thunberg". Now he's just ploughing a political furrow rather than an informative one. Shame really.

Pity Hans and Lotte Hass aren't still around, they were good as was that Cousteau fella.
I always expected Hans to bellow Aalllaarrrmmm! as he went overboard backwards.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Last night of the proms is unwatchable now. Post 2016 Ref BBC were handing out EU Flags, last year was a Gay Pride event
I don't think it was actually the BBC but they certainly did not discourage the handing out of the Starry Sphincter by Remainers.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not so much the content (although I could do without the ongoing saga about how bad the UK treated it’s former colonies) but it’s just his style, and lack thereof,I cannot warm to.
I do like his programmes and they do generally get into areas not normally covered, but it is his constant sound of surprise as though these, often well known facts, are being uncovered for the first time.

On top of that, his own biases are coming very much to the fore, especially as he moves closer to these shores.

Test Match Special.

They’ve had a winning formula with the audio cricket broadcast for a long, long time and I will be sad when it goes.

When the BBC lost the audio rights for the recent South African tour I listened to the Talk Sport offering for a short while and I have to say it was dire.

I can only assume that whoever decided that the audio for a cricket series should be sold off to another company was ex-military but still working on the standard military principle that if it works, change it.

Au contraire,

I'm not a lover of sport. All was OK when the cricket was on it's own frequency, but that prize twat Major went and screwed that up in the 1990s. Now, I would have thought cricket commentary would be a subject for 5 Live or similar, but no, they had to put this on 198 long wave. Many times when I was on the continent in my car in the 1990s and later wanting to hear the news, and one tunes in and the continuous cricket drivel was on. At the time this was my only way for finding out what was going on. A minute or two news break each hour would have made all the difference.

Major was behind the BBC losing a frequency to broadcast the commentary.

Au contraire,

I'm not a lover of sport. All was OK when the cricket was on it's own frequency, but that prize twat Major went and screwed that up in the 1990s. Now, I would have thought cricket commentary would be a subject for 5 Live or similar, but no, they had to put this on 198 long wave. Many times when I was on the continent in my car in the 1990s and later wanting to hear the news, and one tunes in and the continuous cricket drivel was on. At the time this was my only way for finding out what was going on. A minute or two news break each hour would have made all the difference.

Major was behind the BBC losing a frequency to broadcast the commentary.

How else were we to educate the continent about civilisation?

Those with silly hats and jackets, who bounce up and down to the music, because “it’s the Proms” are still bellends though - always have been! :smile:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Those with silly hats and jackets, who bounce up and down to the music, because “it’s the Proms” are still bellends though - always have been! :smile:
Someone mentions gay pride and the first thing you think of is bellends bouncing up and down.

It must be a lonely lockdown.

Last edited:
I quite like the BBC and think their news reporting is reasonably accurate although a certain anti-Boris bias is showing.
I know I'm quoting myself but I'm rapidly changing my mind. This article is a masterpiece of self-contradiction - Coronavirus: Drop plan to reopen primaries to all pupils, ministers urged

Some highlights:
The first wave of children is due back from Monday but the government wants all primary pupils in class for the last four weeks of term.

This ambition piles pressure on schools "when actually it wouldn't be safe", said Emma Knights, chief executive of the National Governance Association.

Ministers say the return of all pupils will depend on updated safety advice. Last week the schools minister Nick Gibb told MPs any decision on whether all pupils should return would be led by the science, and no decision had as yet been made.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I know I'm quoting myself but I'm rapidly changing my mind. This article is a masterpiece of self-contradiction - Coronavirus: Drop plan to reopen primaries to all pupils, ministers urged

Some highlights:
The first wave of children is due back from Monday but the government wants all primary pupils in class for the last four weeks of term.

This ambition piles pressure on schools "when actually it wouldn't be safe", said Emma Knights, chief executive of the National Governance Association.

Ministers say the return of all pupils will depend on updated safety advice. Last week the schools minister Nick Gibb told MPs any decision on whether all pupils should return would be led by the science, and no decision had as yet been made.
Women journos, how sweet !

And contradicting themselves just to underline that stereotyping isn't necessarily incorrect or wrong.

The last thing the BBC did well was Test Card F

1590921516905.jpeg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer