In praise of the BBC - What do they do well?

Which BBC services would you miss?

• BBC1

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • BBC2, BBC4

Votes: 51 31.5%
  • News 24

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • World Service

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • Popular music - Radio 1, Radio 2

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • Classical - Radio 3, Eclectic music - Radio 6

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Radio 4 and / or regional stations / Asian

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • Radio 4 on 198 KHz Long Wave, 5 Live

Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 74 45.7%

• Total voters

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
There is some excellent stuff on the BBC website.
The historical articles, some of the security and technology stuff. It's all aimed at the layman, obviously, but I'd say it's mostly informative and impartial.
I think they have some well trusted and experienced security correspondents.

It is very "woke", but this is because the British Establishment / Deep State is unquestionably "woke". By this I mean although individuals may not be truly woke, the group think is unquestionable.
So when people criticise the BBC for being too "woke", what they are actually seeing is the British Establishment centre ground. The BBC is perhaps their only experience with the woke ideology.

The difference between RT and the BBC, is that RT know they are a propaganda tool, whereas the BBC genuinely think they are impartial. Their bias is subconscious.
I assume from all that lot that Glue Sniffer works for the BBC.

They are good at sending computer generated, threatening letters though your door if you don't have a TV licence.

I've been evading paying this licence for over 30 years now - never had one in my life and have no intention of ever getting one either. Mind you I don't watch BBC crap - and their left wing bias news programs & over exposure of gays on TV.

The sooner the BBC licence is consigned to the dustbin of history - the better. Let them do a subscription based service and they will find out soon enough what people want to watch on their TV's instead of the endless repeats and crap that have all been paid for by the British population - which the rest of the world seem to watch & listen too for free.

There is some excellent stuff on the BBC website.
The historical articles, some of the security and technology stuff. It's all aimed at the layman, obviously, but I'd say it's mostly informative and impartial.
I think they have some well trusted and experienced security correspondents.

It is very "woke", but this is because the British Establishment / Deep State is unquestionably "woke". By this I mean although individuals may not be truly woke, the group think is unquestionable.
So when people criticise the BBC for being too "woke", what they are actually seeing is the British Establishment centre ground. The BBC is perhaps their only experience with the woke ideology.

The difference between RT and the BBC, is that RT know they are a propaganda tool, whereas the BBC genuinely think they are impartial. Their bias is subconscious.
I quite like the BBC and think their news reporting is reasonably accurate although a certain anti-Boris bias is showing.

I wouldn't trust you if you told me my trousers were on fire.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
I quite like the BBC and think their news reporting is reasonably accurate although a certain anti-Boris bias is showing.

I wouldn't trust you if you told me my trousers were on fire.
Why would you need someone else to tell you that your trousers were on fire?

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
They are good at sending computer generated, threatening letters though your door if you don't have a TV licence.

I've been evading paying this licence for over 30 years now - never had one in my life and have no intention of ever getting one either. Mind you I don't watch BBC crap - and their left wing bias news programs & over exposure of gays on TV.

The sooner the BBC licence is consigned to the dustbin of history - the better. Let them do a subscription based service and they will find out soon enough what people want to watch on their TV's instead of the endless repeats and crap that have all been paid for by the British population - which the rest of the world seem to watch & listen too for free.
Unfortunately, any changes to BBC funding will probably not involve a voluntary subscription fee.
Much more likely they will add it to your utility bills, like they do in many European countries.
I've never paid a TV license, so this could be bad news for people like me.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The BBC provide employment to some fine upstanding people of Capita who demand with menaces licence fee payments.

Personally I don’t need it and don’t watch it.

World Service was still mostly OK after R4 became a minority whinge fest

Now it's R4 World Service with Womans Hours & Hours & Hours, India & Pakistan Hours & Hours, Bash Trump, China is great and UK is terrible

BBC & World Service is run by Lord Haw Haw

The Boat Race used to be good, then Claire Balding made it Womans Hours & Hours - stopped watching

About only BBC I watch is QT via Youtube. Licence? Not for 15 years

no f in beer

Old-Salt
Been having a think, and i have come up with Morecambe and Wise, beyond that not sure

Oh!, Last night of the proms, they do that reasonably well

Yokel

LE
The BBC make excellent documentaries about all sorts of subjects, health related ones, technology related ones, and history. They made groundbreaking programmes into the horrors of Nazism and the USSR under the leadership of Lenin and Stalin, about how Saddam Hussein hoodwinked Western companies into helping his weapons projects.

Even Eastenders has helped publicise social issues such as mental health, homelessness, drug abuse, HIV/AIDS, and others.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The BBC make excellent documentaries about all sorts of subjects, health related ones, technology related ones, and history. They made groundbreaking programmes into the horrors of Nazism and the USSR under the leadership of Lenin and Stalin, about how Saddam Hussein hoodwinked Western companies into helping his weapons projects.

Even Eastenders has helped publicise social issues such as mental health, homelessness, drug abuse, HIV/AIDS, and others.
The BBC has also been involved in quite a few programmes/documentaries where false information is displayed, one example being the Attenborough "real life" programmes which turned out to be doctored.

If you are quoting Eastenders as a viable social issue raising programme you are very much mistaken. It is total trash showing a fallacious view of living in the East End of London. In which Borough can the residents always find space to park their cars, and more importantly outside their house/Pub/garage etc? Eastenders - made by London Centric people to bluff the rest of the country that they don't live in a sh*t hole.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The BBC has also been involved in quite a few programmes/documentaries where false information is displayed, one example being the Attenborough "real life" programmes which turned out to be doctored.
How doctored, use of captive animals, or something political ?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
How doctored, use of captive animals, or something political ?
Actually it was the pretence that animals and their young had been filmed in the wild for that particular one.

The Repair Shop is about the only BBC programme I make a point of watching at the moment. I do wonder who pays for the restorations though - they clearly would not come cheap (I suspect I know the answer: the Licence payer).

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you are quoting Eastenders as a viable social issue raising programme you are very much mistaken. It is total trash showing a fallacious view of living in the East End of London. In which Borough can the residents always find space to park their cars, and more importantly outside their house/Pub/garage etc? Eastenders - made by London Centric people to bluff the rest of the country that they don't live in a sh*t hole.
It was said on another site recently, if EastEnders showed real life in that part of the capital today, it would be Romanian/Albanian gangs in turf wars with Somali ones for the drug trade.

Been having a think, and i have come up with Morecambe and Wise, beyond that not sure

Oh!, Last night of the proms, they do that reasonably well
The loss of Eric and Ernie to ITV sent shockwaves through the BBC.

The defection of Morecambe and Wise to ITV in 1978 was such a devastating blow to the BBC that its governors planned to lobby the government, secret papers have revealed.
They wanted to try to rein in the massive spending power of the independent television companies. But in the short term, the corporation decided the best strategy for countering the "damaging loss" of Eric and Ernie to the opposition was to repeat their phenomenally successful Christmas show of 1977 on Christmas Eve the next year.
It was at a sombre meeting on 30 January 1978 that the BBC board was first told how the corporation's offer to keep Morecambe and Wise had been finally rejected by Britain's most famous comedy double act.

Not for the first (or last) time the BBC hierarchy believed themselves to be able to manipulate market forces by lobbying parliament. They haven't learnt yet!