In praise of Sir Roger Moore.

Awol

LE
Thanks chaps, appreciated. I guessed one of them would have been military (probably the Hurrars) but I wasn’t sure.

Awol

LE
In the fifties Jack Warner as Pc George Dixon topped and tailed each episode of Dixon of Dock Green by talking directly to camera.
Merle Oberon did a similar thing as a war correspondent in Assignment Foreign Legion. Roger Moore played an English legionnaire in one episode.
Thanks, I don’t know about the rest, but you’re right, Jack Warner did precede Sir Rog.

Edit. Jack (born Horace) did his bit in the first angry spat with the Hun. To quote wiki....

During the First World War he served in France as a driver in the Royal Flying Corpsand was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in 1918.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, can anyone identify the grill/bumper/radiator (God knows what they are properly called) badges in the middle picture) the round one apoears to have been transferred from the car in the first picture.
@Archimedes is spot on identifying the Middlebridge car. I remember go around their factory with my father who knew one of the owners from the Nottingham business community; they were in Beeston. Mad ideas about making a couple of thousand Scimitars a year and running in F1. Would have been 88 I guess.

The badges on HRH’s car are explained here Middlebridge Scimitar. She still has the car.

1631535562726.png

Here she is with Roger Moore
1631535690744.png

syrup

LE
In the fifties Jack Warner as Pc George Dixon topped and tailed each episode of Dixon of Dock Green by talking directly to camera.
Merle Oberon did a similar thing as a war correspondent in Assignment Foreign Legion. Roger Moore played an English legionnaire in one episode.

P.C. George Dixon played by Jack Warner gets shot and killed by Dirk Bogarde in the Blue Lamp.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
1631535690744.png

RM: "You want me to do what exactly?"

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks, I don’t know about the rest, but you’re right, Jack Warner did precede Sir Rog.

Edit. Jack (born Horace) did his bit in the first angry spat with the Hun. To quote wiki....

During the First World War he served in France as a driver in the Royal Flying Corpsand was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in 1918.
Warner was the brother of Elsie and Doris Waters, a comedy double act whose alter egos were "Gert and Daisy"

Two Sunderlands from a Squadron based in Ceylon were sent north in 1944 to assist with the aeromedical evacuation of casualties of 111(Indian) Infantry Brigade during the withdrawal stage of the second Chindit operation. Flying from Lake Indawgi to the Brahmaputra, the two boats were nicknamed "Gert and Daisy."

Chef

LE
P.C. George Dixon played by Jack Warner gets shot and killed by Dirk Bogarde in the Blue Lamp.
Then was resurrected for the TV series.

As I recall a similar resurrection occurred for officer Renko one of the main characters in 'Hill Street Blues'. He died in the pilot but came back from the dead for the actual series.

Awol

LE
In the interests of Arrse journalism, I thought that i would watch one of the modern remakes of ‘The Saint’ so I could rip the shit out of it.

In the event I was pleasantly surprised. In the film (imaginatively call ‘The Saint’ 2018. Simon Templar (some strange bod called Adam Raynor?) featured as a main character. He has all the Saint hallmarks with some stuck in, hinted at, love interests. It would have been just as good as a general thriller, but the Saint link made it just as entertaining for us afficianados,

His car looked like a seventies kit car, I don’t know why didn’t beg, steal or borrow a Volvo P1800, but the car used just looked too ostentatious for someone who was trying to blend in.

I could criticise it ‘till sundown, but why bother; it was just another modern movie, and quite a good one at that.

Last edited:
In the interests of Arrse journalism, I thought that i would watch one of the modern remakes of ‘The Saint’ so I could rip the shit out of it.

In the event I was pleasantly surprised. In the film (imaginatively call ‘The Saint’ 2018. Simon Templar (some strange bod called Adam Raynor?) featured as a main character. He has all the Saint hallmarks with some stuck in, hinted at, love interests. It would have been just as good as a general thriller, but the Saint link made it just as entertaining for us afficianados,

His car looked like a seventies kit car, I don’t know why didn’t beg, steal or borrow a Volvo P1800, but the car used just looked too ostentatious for someone who was trying to blend in.

I could criticise it ‘till sundown, but why bother; it was just another modern movie, and quite a good one at that.
What about Ian Ogilvie as the Saint in some 70s remake?
At least he had an XJS.

• Luisa Mattioli has died aged 85 after being 'ill for some time', family friends say
  • The actress met Sir Roger Moore in 1961 and couple eventually married in 1968
  • The star couple had three children together Geoffrey, Deborah and Christian
  • But they separated in 1993 after Sir Roger left her for Kristina 'Kiki' Tholstrup

Latest Threads