IN PICTURES: Royal Navy takes key role in international minehunting exercise

Ministry of Defence said:
Four British warships and more than 400 sailors and Royal Marines have played a key role in one of the biggest minehunting exercises ever staged in the Middle East.

More...

OFFS! Get a decent copy writer!

'A general purpose machine gun aimer'
To be honest thats how its called in the RN these days, the GPMG course is the GPMG aimer/loader course.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's to do with the close range weapons definitions. Aimer fires gun, loader loads it. So the GPMG has an aimer/loader.

'Tell the aimer loaders to keep their eyes peeled Chief' doesn't really have the right ring to it.

It's to do with the close range weapons definitions. Aimer fires gun, loader loads it. So the GPMG has an aimer/loader.
Is this a new way for the navy to try and keep hold of more bods, you need two people for each firearm? :)

How hard can it be to hunt mines, they just sit there bobbing around in the sea. The biggest problem must be stopping the horse drowning.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Serious hat on. You tend to nominate the mount to engage not the aimer. So it would be "P6 warning shots 100 yards to the left of target ENGAGE". "Check check check" or my fav "Port Battery ENGAGE"

Of course this need to be shouted at the top of the Gunners voice because the expensive microphones and internal comms system is unable to amplify the noise. Gunnery, its all about the noise.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
How hard can it be to hunt mines, they just sit there bobbing around in the sea. The biggest problem must be stopping the horse drowning.
Water wings.

When they have a succesful hunt, do they mount the mine on the wall in the POs mess?

Serious hat on. You tend to nominate the mount to engage not the aimer. So it would be "P6 warning shots 100 yards to the left of target ENGAGE". "Check check check" or my fav "Port Battery ENGAGE"

Of course this need to be shouted at the top of the Gunners voice because the expensive microphones and internal comms system is unable to amplify the noise. Gunnery, its all about the noise.
Ah I see, so the Gunnery Officer is the sound effects bloke who shouts dagadagadagadaga! While the aimer loader aims and pretends to load the GPMG is a warry stylie?