'In Our Name' -brilliant new British film about female soldier returning from Iraq

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by gzvc, Dec 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ‘In Our Name’ an independent British film is out this Friday at Curzon cinemas and is available to download on a new platform called Curzon on demand nationally. It’s a thought-provoking and totally gripping story about a female British soldier returning from Iraq- Joanne Froggatt from Downton Abbey is breath taking and won a BIFA ( Biritsh Independent Film Award) for the role.You can see the trailer here: YouTube - In Our Name: Official Trailer

2. Can you explain what's so 'breathtaking' and 'totally gripping' about it? Otherwise I don't think I'll bother clicking on the link.

3. I've not seen this but the write up in Empire says its about a British (that how you spell it) soldier who has trouble adjusting to civilian life after a difficult tour of Iraq.

They can ram this film up their ******* hoop for me. Why can't a film feature an ex soldier doing well for themselves after a tour?

Bunch of arrse.

4. At least you got one thing factually correct.

Joanne Froggatt is a gopping slag, as are all of the women in the British Army.

5. My eye kept wandering towards the girls beret, (what numpty technical advisor shapes these for actors?) so I lost the plot a bit on the trailer.

6. The trailer makes it look as though it might be a really annoying waste of time to watch; it promises a string of clichés and lame stereotypes, and, yes... a beret of a shape seen nowhere since the ******* Malayan campaign.

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

And a General Service Corps capbadge not worn since WW2?

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Only seen the trailer via the Combat Stress website.

In Our Name: Official Trailer - The Veterans' Mental Health Charity - Combat Stress

Apart from the usual stuff about not wearing laboriously hand tailored dipped in boiling water and worn for a week airborne approved lids and deliberately using a non current cap badge (so's not to upset anyone in 1 Bn Loamshires) the bit I saw looked heartfelt (and I had the impression it was post Herrick rather than Telic but may be wrong?) Will reserve judgement till I've seen the whole thing.

Folk at Combat Stress seem impressed - and they tell me that the lead actress spent a long time at Tyrwhitt House talking to their clinical people there to get as much detail as possible.

As for the pearly Mizz Froggatt - I wouldn't climb over her to get to the notorious O2 thief above - but then I've always had a terrible French Maid fetish:
    [​IMG]

watch & shoot

Lee Shaver

9. That'll go nicely with your DPM fetish then. You hobbyist Andy Millman wannabee.

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

That you tube trailer sems to do it no favours
    Admin clerk goes mental and fucks off with a kid and a pistol?
    Not for me

11. That bit is plausible though.

12. Oh for God's sake will they ever learn..... first trailer shot beret like a landing pad (sigh).

And why the hell does she live outside a Barracks assuming she's ment to be a regular, living in the barracks means less plastic Jihadis spray painting your house usually.

13. Perhaps she could hook up with that other "extreme meltdown headcase", that ginger tw@t off Corrie who can't leave the house without having a flashback to "the 'Ghan", despite him only being on tour for 2 episodes.

14. thanks i might have a chance with her then