In need of some advive

Hi all, so I've decided that I want to join the REME as an aircraft technician. However, I don't know how to tell my parents as from previous conversations they seem to be against me joining the army altogether.
Any advice on how to approach them about would be great.
Thanks

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
So you'd be applying as an adult in your own right - what were your parents objections [always best to have their support if at all possible]?

You know that you can vote, and buy alcohol now, so if you want to be a BAT, that's your choice, not theirs? I can appreciate that you don't want to embarrass them over your career choice...

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wouldn't worry about your parents. There is many a good soldier with a great career who had to tell his parents to **** off.

You're 19. With the greatest of respect as I don't know the full story, be the man your age says you are and do what you want with your life.

Good luck.

Sit down with them, tell them your reasons for wanting to follow this path.
If they raise objections ask them to explain why they are against this choice and talk it out.
That way at least they will understand why you are taking this action, and it's all cards on the table. It's often surprising how many objections can be overcome by being honest and open with each other.

Then if they are still set against it, you have to choose whether to please your parents by not doing what you wish to do or to follow the path you have decided on.
You may find that after a while when they see you are enjoying your job and getting on with life that they come round and see that some of their fears were groundless.

Right now do you know why they are dead against it? It's not as if you will be joining the SAS, you will be learning a trade in a supporting arm, more of a technical thing.

tell them you are a joining the RAF regiment or are a gay transgender communist first* , then the shock of wanting to be in the REME will be far less.

*almost the same as being in the RAF regiment

See your inbox

tell them you are a joining the RAF regiment or are a gay transgender communist first* , then the shock of wanting to be in the REME will be far less.

*almost the same as being in the RAF regiment
Hmmmm. The old give 'em a big shock first so they accept the lesser one ploy.

He could always wait till they are asleep, suffocate them with pillows, sell the house and have lots of money for beer when he joins.

Probably better to follow my first post though.

Hi all, so I've decided that I want to join the REME as an aircraft technician. However, I don't know how to tell my parents as from previous conversations they seem to be against me joining the army altogether.
Thanks
Have a look at the RAF mate

Hmmmm. The old give 'em a big shock first so they accept the lesser one ploy.

He could always wait till they are asleep, suffocate them with pillows, sell the house and have lots of money for beer when he joins.

Probably better to follow my first post though.
He could always fall back on your second plan if something a bit less 'murdery' doesn't work first.

When I joined up back in early 1998, I'd actually fell out with my parents at the time. I was in my third year at at university and had quite literally ran out of money, my parents where unable to help, although to me (at the time) it just seemed that they were being unreasonable and unwilling to help. It had gotten to the stage where I hadn't spoken with them for a few months, which was unprecedented. I was just bumming around, bouncing between crap jobs - one morning I simply woke up said to myself "F*ck it, and f*ck them" and joined up.

I flew through the interviews and a weird couple of days up at Glencourse and that was me 'in' . One morning I had a letter from the AFCO in Newcastle with my Joining Instructions for Bassingbourn, it contained the usual bumpf, but at the bottom the recruiting sergeant had handwritten a note (and helpfully underlined it for me) at the bottom, it simply said "speak to your parents!"

The point I am trying (in vain no doubt) to make is: make your own decision, but let them know - they may not agree with your choice, but you don't want them worrying. Arguments with mummy and daddy when you are in your late teens means nothing in the grand scheme of things - everyone has, and everyone will have them.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but perhaps you just need to grow up a little and make your decision, an aircraft technician is (from what I've seen) a great job, with fantastic prospects whilst serving, and when you finally come to leave. I struggle to see how any parent could be truly disappointed in their son or daughter.

Moving on, I have had a fantastic relationship with my parents over the past twenty years, and I finally finished off my degree through the OU a couple of years later.

whist I stand by to be corrected, I would say the RAF would be better if only to get more Qs for civvy street,
plus better accom,food etc etc
not food now, its crap

Less of a shock?

well RAF or REME? which would you find less embarrassing to tell your friends?
I suppose his parents could say 'We have no child' or 'He/she/it is in prison'

Just do it. Your parents have obviously f%cked up your life. Time to break free and f&ck it up for yourself - but seriously do you really want to be under your parents for the rest of your life? I have 2 lads - one the same age, one older and the best thing I have seen them do is THEIR OWN THING; grow some and do it. You will have mates who will put you up on leave if your parents continue to be festering sores.
Johnson: "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier" - Don't be this man!!
(I've notice as I have got older I have become angry, really angry. I think part of the problem is because my knees have gone and I can't run away.)

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Thanks
Tell your parents this...

"Mum, Dad - I'm not just going to join the Army. I'm going to become an aviation engineer. I'm going to be part of an elite group of soldiers trained to the highest level, helping to repair and maintain a fleet of the finest military aircraft.

I'm going to be part of the top 2% of the top 10% and take a pride in my work, my appearance, my levels of fitness and my unit. I'll never be short of money, friends, things to do, places to visit. I'll travel far and wide, be a better rounded person. I'll learn everything from aerodynamic principles to the replacement of a Rolls Royce Turbomecca 322 engine.

I'll enjoy a career with promotion prospects. I'll be the 2% of those who join that make the highest non-commissioned rank. I'll get free prescriptions, free dental treatment. I'll get paid to do sports and adventure training. Where none exists, I'll have the initiative to organise it myself. Build it and they'll come.

I'll build working relationships, I'll get qualifications along the way. I'll pepper my CV with so many skills, by the time my service is over, people will be fighting to employ me.

I'll make women weak at the knees by the mere sight of my light blue beret and engineering prowess. I'll keep myself at the peak of fitness and educated well beyond my peers. I'll be financially secure for the rest of my life. I'll look after you in your old age. I'll never be short of mates who'll give their right arm to help me, my family or my mates.

I'll reach my potential and beyond. I'll conduct myself with the highest of standards and have a sense of self-discipline that will never leave me. In short, I'll make you proud. Moreover, I'll make myself proud.

Or if you like, I could apply for that part time job in Aldi...?"

Tell your parents this...

"Mum, Dad - I'm not just going to join the Army. I'm going to become an aviation engineer. I'm going to be part of an elite group of soldiers trained to the highest level, helping to repair and maintain a fleet of the finest military aircraft.

I'm going to be part of the top 2% of the top 10% and take a pride in my work, my appearance, my levels of fitness and my unit. I'll never be short of money, friends, things to do, places to visit. I'll travel far and wide, be a better rounded person. I'll learn everything from aerodynamic principles to the replacement of a Rolls Royce Turbomecca 322 engine.

I'll enjoy a career with promotion prospects. I'll be the 2% of those who join that make the highest non-commissioned rank. I'll get free prescriptions, free dental treatment. I'll get paid to do sports and adventure training. Where none exists, I'll have the initiative to organise it myself. Build it and they'll come.

I'll build working relationships, I'll get qualifications along the way. I'll pepper my CV with so many skills, by the time my service is over, people will be fighting to employ me.

I'll make women weak at the knees by the mere sight of my light blue beret and engineering prowess. I'll keep myself at the peak of fitness and educated well beyond my peers. I'll be financially secure for the rest of my life. I'll look after you in your old age. I'll never be short of mates who'll give their right arm to help me, my family or my mates.

I'll reach my potential and beyond. I'll conduct myself with the highest of standards and have a sense of self-discipline that will never leave me. In short, I'll make you proud. Moreover, I'll make myself proud.

Or if you like, I could apply for that part time job in Aldi...?"
And no decent postings