Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Id have had a life.

2. Men were men and sheep were frightened! :D

3. All this was fields when I was Zx-81

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Wore putties? check

Fought with shrinking 58 pattern? check

Used a REAL rifle? (SLR) check

At last, I'm home. 8)

5. msr

msr LE

Wore putties? no

Fought with shrinking 58 pattern? yes

Used a REAL rifle? (SLR) yes

Do I get associate membership?

6. What about me, im too old for the younguns thread but fear i may be to young for this one

Wore putties - NO

Fought with shrinking 58 pattern - NO

Used a real rifle - Does the A2 count?

Can i be the forum walt? I'll just hang around pretending im old and bold

7. Wore putties - NO

Fought with shrinking 58 pattern - YES

Used a real rifle - YES, SLR and NO, SA80

Am I qualified enough ??

8. Knows that the little pocket on the 58 webbing was for an Energa Projector and not a KFS? Check

And I wore Fox's puttees :(

9. Auld-Yin

Knows what an Energa Projector is and has fired Practice Rounds using it Check.

Edited to change TPTP which was Charlie G.

10. F*cks sakes, are you still alive?

11. Auld-Yin

Of course I am not. Silly boy.

12. Well hopefully they'll not have enough 'flu jabs' to go round and the coming winter will see you off.

13. We were trained on the 36 Mills grenade in 1973. Remember having to clean off the grease before fitting the detonator assembly. Halfway through basic, we were given the short conversion course to the L2 grenade....no grease to clean off!

As Infantry recruits we wore 38 pattern anklets, polished not blancoed, and in barracks, for drill lessons, parades and guard duties, 38 pattern belt, polished and brassoed. 58 pattern kit for SAA and field training. On arriving at the Bn, handed in 38 pat belt and anklets in return for scabby green nylon belt and puttees.

Another memory. Black canvas 'daps' had to be bulled up. Combat suits had just been issued in DPM, they were lined and reinforced at the seat and knees. Heavy as hell when wet, but warm.

I'd do my 22 all over again.....if I wasn't earning the salary I'm on now! :wink:

14. I'll see your Fox's puttees and raise you - Battledress. Tackety boots. 3.5" RL. Austin Champ. A cap badge you had to polish. Pullovers with slots to thread the shirt epaulettes through. Gas capes.

15. FFS this place will stink of wee very shortly :twisted: