In light of yesterdays Dam Buster tribute - These folk have a real Hobby.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by old_bloke, May 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  1. It was a Ch4 docu a cpl of years ago, Its on More4 tonight apparently. Worth a watch.
  2. Well, that's the kids weekend project sorted.
  3. "We showed them Englishmen how to hit it First shot". Well done. Now do it after flying across occupied territory at tree top height in the dark with some blokes trying to shoot you down!
    Great vid though.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ... quite a few of the crew where Canadians, too.
  5. Eh?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. That looked like fun. Any chance we could try it out on the real thing? I'm sure the Germans wouldn't mind. I can probably get hold of a B-25 for the project but if anybody rustle up anything larger i.e. a Shackleton or the likes then count me in.
  7. Bloody low quality, cheap, chinese imported keyboards. Here we have a poster with a sticky "h", while over on the whingers' thread we have a poster with a lack of ",,,,,......'''''.

There's a chink in the quality control process somewhere.
  8. "As with all aspects of the history of Bomber Command, Canadians played a major role in the Dams Raid. Of the 133 airmen that set out on the raid, 30 were Canadian and six were from Alberta. Fourteen were killed during the raid and one became a Prisoner of War. Exactly 50% of the Canadians who took off did not return. Four of the Canadians who survived the Raid were killed in action later in the war. Note that F/L Joe McCarthy was an American who flew with the Royal Canadian Air Force."

Dambusters Raid - The Canadian Contribution

9. You want to be a bit careful there, the blokes in the film nearly shot themselves down. And the original US tests with an A-26 converted to take Highball did end the same way.
    The Highball incident

You can see from the above footage that the splash hit the plane, luckily it didn't tear the tail off like it did on the A-26.
  10. Quite a few of the crew where Canadians, too.

RCAF, RNZAF as well as RAF.
  11. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Getting BIF'ed is one thing but BIT (Bomb in tail) is not a good way to end the day. Some of the videos from the rear turret show the things bouncing up higher than the aircraft!
  12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

That could be one of the most cunning wahs I've seen here in a long time.

Think aboot it, eh?
    • Like Like x 3