In honour of our glorious dead... Act now.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RFUK, Jun 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last November, I placed a framed photograph of a friend I lost in Iraq on the cenotaph in Worcester. Within the frame, I included a small card explaining who he was and that he was killed in action.

Now, 7 months later, the picture is still there. Sometimes people leave flowers, and people I have never told about it have mentioned it in conversation.

To raise awareness and respect for our dead, I propose that when a soldier from a certain recruiting area is killed, each member of the site from that area - providing they're able - print their picture from the MoD site, place it in a frame with an information card and leave it at their local cenotaph.

Who's with me?

2. Excellent Idea!

3. good idea

4. Its a fitting way in 2007 to remember them.

5. Sentiment is agreed, but in this day and age will the pictures in all areas be left alone with respect.

I would doubt it :(

But it is an honourable thing to do none the less.

6. Cracking idea, a lasting memory to the fallen.

fastmedic

7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

RFUK, That is a fantastic idea.

Is there a comprehensive list available that has both the names and home towns of the fallen in Iraq / Afghanistan?

We may not have personally known the individuals, but some Arrsers may have come from their area and could help in the way you have.

8. When I left the picture at the Worcester cenotaph, I wasn't expecting it to last a week, especially as it was in an expensive frame. However, even the masses of chavs who hang around the area have left it alone. Perhaps even they draw the line somewhere.

As well as hometowns, I'd like to see every town in their unit's recruitment area pay the same respect. Between us, we can cover most of the UK and perhaps bring home to the public the real costs paid for our recent conflicts. It costs nothing and takes little time.

If you plan to place a picture, post the name of the fallen and the town here (bearing opsec in mind) so that we can keep track.

I've got the un-named WFR lad, at the Worcester cenotaph. RIP.

9. Perhaps if your areas are generally unsafe/unsuitable to leave a photo, you could speak to your local church and see if there is a place you could place it. Either inside or outside.

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

What a cracking idea. Its strange that you see wreaths on war memorials past Christmas, un-vandalised.

There is a campaign just kicking off to restore war memorials for 2014. Yeah, I know, its 6 or 7 years before it will really gain momentum, but people are starting to plan for it in a loose kind of way.

The general plan is not only to clean up neglected memorials but somehow engage people with them. Teach kids what they mean. That they are about more than wars kids learn as aincent history.

11. What a good idea.

12. Fantastic idea, I think (perhaps naively) that the picture has stayed there because society does actually have some moral dignity, deep down beneath the hoodies perhaps, but it's there. Maybe I'm fooling myself though?

I'm in.

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, I thought so. Its early days and all I know at this stage is what I've posted. At the moment I've had a call saying "You're in. We'll be in touch".

I'll post details as and when I get them. It will be a national campaign and of course, will be hi-jacked by the Politicos and press. But if it is going to work, it needs to work on a local level.

Educationalists, BL, other ex-servicemens orgs, local Council and MPs, as well as the general public.

RFUK may well have laid the first foundation stone?

14. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I'll make this a "sticky" for a while so the discussion stays live.