In-game adverts - coming soon

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
It took them a while, but we're finally here.

EA have been trialling a system using adverts in games. They have signed on with Simulmedia, who create ad-placement in software and after a successful trial in Smite, EA will roll it out to their other games.

Source here: This company is putting video ads in games, and EA has already signed up

This goes along with Phil Spencer's assertation that he will look to put adverts on the Xbox as part of the "experience."

Sadly, this other source states that it will be truly cross-platform, including PC, Xbox and PS5:

I work hard all day, come home, spend some time with the wife and kids and every couple of days, I get an hour or two leisure time. I'm not prepared to have adverts beamed at me when I am trying to have some quality time to myself. It's ******* intrusive and you can't do anything without being bombarded by adverts, for fucks sake, leave me alone.

There is only one way to stop this fcuktardness and that means to stop buying games that do this, ditto with some platforms.

Ritch

LE
When EA's UFC 4 came out, adverts were enabled and they were bloody annoying... Until there was a massive backlash and EA removed them from the game. Seems they haven't learned their lesson.

250fbbb8f6be098b4f732bb3e919b15e1d7363ee1ec3adbeb938a560edfe8275.jpg

Would that all problems were this easily solved.

It's like this, there is literally no escaping adverts now unless you forgo all forms of digital technology and entertainment

It drives me round the bend that you can't watch any videos on Youtube now without being hit by at least two unskippable adverts and then further ones crop up halfway through the video, sometimes that go on longer than what you're trying to watch! I don't want this crap in my games either.
Even your phone is always listening, I've been chatting with the Mrs about things a few times at home while my phone is in my pocket, then lo and behold when I go on Facebook or whatever later there are ads relating to what we were talking about.

Also riles me up when you get the cookies pop up when you go on any site, and it basically forces you to agree to settings that "help us send you more relevant ads to improve your experience" which has me ranting at my screen "I don't want to see any fcuking adverts anyway, fcuk off!!"

Also riles me up when you get the cookies pop up when you go on any site, and it basically forces you to agree to settings that "help us send you more relevant ads to improve your experience" which has me ranting at my screen "I don't want to see any fcuking adverts anyway, fcuk off!!"

It doesn't force you to do anything. It's your choice to agree.

It doesn't force you to do anything. It's your choice to agree.

But many sites I've been on don't give you the option, they just have "agree" and "show purposes" buttons but no option to opt out, or some that do just block you from accessing the site if you don't agree to accept cookies. And most have the "accept relevant cookies" button greyed out in the options so you can't change it, and there's no clear description as to what the sites interpretation of relevant cookies is.

But many sites I've been on don't give you the option, they just have "agree" and "show purposes" buttons but no option to opt out, or some that do just block you from accessing the site if you don't agree to accept cookies. And most have the "accept relevant cookies" button greyed out in the options so you can't change it, and there's no clear description as to what the sites interpretation of relevant cookies is.

Again, no-one is forcing you to do anything. If you don't agree, don't use the site.

It really is that simple.

It drives me round the bend that you can't watch any videos on Youtube now without being hit by at least two unskippable adverts and then further ones crop up halfway through the video, sometimes that go on longer than what you're trying to watch!
There is a fix for that one, download the Brave browser. I don't know what witchcraft it does but it seems to stop 95% of those sort of adverts. Link - Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser

Being a creature of habit I still use Firefox for general browsing and email but tend to have the Brave one open for streaming stuff as well.

Gents...

Adblock Plus

Ghostery

Autotube

These 3 browser extensions are all you need to have a painless, ad-free and uninterrupted wa... erm surf on the net.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the tricks I've heard for adverts is that if, for instance, if you're playing GTA and drive past a billboard then it will have and advert on it which is a "sponsored" ad.

The other trick is "product placement" where e.g. a coffee machine will be branded with the branding visible.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
It drives me round the bend that you can't watch any videos on Youtube now without being hit by at least two unskippable adverts and then further ones crop up halfway through the video, sometimes that go on longer than what you're trying to watch!

I've not seen a YouTube advert for years. AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin are your friends.

I'm surprised sky box's and their ilk allow you to waz through the adds at 30x I simply will not sit through the amount of adds they show .

Ritch

LE
I'm surprised sky box's and their ilk allow you to waz through the adds at 30x I simply will not sit through the amount of adds they show .

The advertisement companies were in outrage when Sky came out with that feature. I'm always zooming past them.

Again, no-one is forcing you to do anything. If you don't agree, don't use the site.

It really is that simple.

Or in Youtubes case, just pay for the premium version instead of expecting a free service without adverts.

NSP

LE
Any way to ping the in-video ads on Youtube on a TV? Sick and tired of getting halfway through "Comfortably Numb" live or some other epic track only to be hit with thirty seconds of unskippable Grammarly advert or some other tosh.

endure

GCM
It's like this, there is literally no escaping adverts now unless you forgo all forms of digital technology and entertainment

It drives me round the bend that you can't watch any videos on Youtube now without being hit by at least two unskippable adverts and then further ones crop up halfway through the video, sometimes that go on longer than what you're trying to watch! I don't want this crap in my games either.
Even your phone is always listening, I've been chatting with the Mrs about things a few times at home while my phone is in my pocket, then lo and behold when I go on Facebook or whatever later there are ads relating to what we were talking about.

I use the Vivaldi browser, Ublock Origin and haven't seen a choob advert for years.

Ritch

LE
Any way to ping the in-video ads on Youtube on a TV? Sick and tired of getting halfway through "Comfortably Numb" live or some other epic track only to be hit with thirty seconds of unskippable Grammarly advert or some other tosh.

They got rid of the adverts for Comfortably Numb on this channel after a big backlash over an advert starting just as the epic second (and best) CN solo started.

Or in Youtubes case, just pay for the premium version instead of expecting a free service without adverts.

or just don't.

Instead add the freely available (from the Google Extension Store) AdBlock Plus, Ghostery and Autotube and enjoy ad- free and uninterrupted viewing as stated.

It's that simple.

Latest Threads