In full: Brown Afghan speech

#1
Here is the PM's speach in full.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8346132.stm


"If with our help the new government of Afghanistan meets these five tests, it will have fulfilled an essential contract with its own people. And it will have earned the continuing support of the international community, despite the continuing sacrifice.

If the government fails to meet these five tests, it will have not only failed its own people, it will have forfeited its right to international support. "


Is he preparing the ground for a withdrawal of British forces?
 
#2
Does this idiot watch the news, read the intel, smell the coffee, FFS what is he rambling about,

Remember Dr Brydon
 

Attachments

#3
Following Obama's reported threats of withdrawal if Karzai fails to root out corruption, this is starting to look like an exit strategy. It is almost certain Karzai will not be able to rein in corruption. Brown and Obama will then be able to say that, owing to Afghan government failures, they are withdrawing. It saves face, because it heaps all the blame on Karzai and takes the emphasis away from the insurgents.
 
#4
I like GB's five tests; maybe we could apply them to his leadership too?

Security - I wonder how well he'd score on people's perception of how safe they feel in these days of an emasculated police force and joke custodial sentences set against the surveillance culture.

Governance - Luckily, we've got a squeaky-clean, corruption-free parliament and executive.

Reconciliation - I think Gordon would agree there's nothing worse than underlying tension between various factions/ethnicities. Good job there hasn't been a massive wave of uncontrolled immigration to upset the apple cart.....

Economic Development - Oh dear.

Engagement with Neighbours - Ignored by the US. Check. Sells out soul to EU. Check.

Not looking too good is it?
 
#5
This bit gave me a chuckle, Brown wants to read his own speech and implement some of it into his own gubmint.
President Karzai agreed with me yesterday that the first priority of his new government would be to take decisive action against corruption.

But good governance is more than the absence of corruption. It is about having properly qualified men and women in the key jobs. The world will be monitoring the new government's appointments - cabinet ministers and provincial governors - to ensure they are based on merit.
 
#6
slick said:
This bit gave me a chuckle, Brown wants to read his own speech and implement some of it into his own gubmint.
President Karzai agreed with me yesterday that the first priority of his new government would be to take decisive action against corruption.

But good governance is more than the absence of corruption. It is about having properly qualified men and women in the key jobs. The world will be monitoring the new government's appointments - cabinet ministers and provincial governors - to ensure they are based on merit.
HAHAHA WTF is the one eyed fool talking about, Oh, and Mandelscum must have written that
 
#7
So will Broon pull out of the UK now?
 
#8
"Cronies and warlords should have no place in the future of Afghanistan."


Has he read any of the history books on Afghanistan?
Warlords have been a fundemental part of the Afghan culture for centuries.
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
Murphy_Slaw said:
"Cronies and warlords should have no place in the future of Afghanistan."


Has he read any of the history books on Afghanistan?
Warlords have been a fundemental part of the Afghan culture for centuries.
That one eyed idiot hasn't read anything that tricky - he didn't even watch "The Princess Bride", even there was a Sicilian Assassian that said:

"There are two laws in the world, never fight a land war in Asia and never enter a game of chance with a Sicilian assassian!".

Even comedy knows better.
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
cpunk said:
Does he really think that 'SIB' stands for 'Service Inquiry Board'?
He doesn't even know what RAF stands for, his researchers can't even bother to staff check on Defence policy - so what hope of a coherent AFG policy?

I think I had better start early drinking - I am feeling the beginnings of a full blown rant coming on.

(This was just for starters) :evil:
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#12
Brown's problem is that he is he is a busted flush. He is not even yesterday's man as we have now discovered that his past 'achievements' were in fact chimera. He is also a proven liar, so much so that whatever he says the assumption is that its not true.

There was not really anything in his speech to disagree with but he still refuses to will the means to do it. Paddy Ashdown said earlier that Afghanistan should be the government's number one priority, its main effort, everything else should come second. Unfortunately its still a sideshow for Brown.
 
#13
These are your man Broon's instructions to his (many) speechwriters:

1. I need a speech that gives the impression that I’m still taken seriously by Barak Obama and other world leaders.

2. The speech needs to indicate that I’m regularly in touch with important people in the process and that they regard me, at the very least. as being as important as I regard myself.

3. The speech should steer away from my totally indifferent attitude to HM Armed Forces and their dead. It should show that I support them in every way.

4. The speech should not indicate in any way that I find attending the Remembrance Sunday a total waste of time and effort on my part, since it doesn’t interest me in the slightest, but is part of my duties. On the contrary, emphasis should be placed on how much I admire their sacrifice. Any stumbles I make due to my failing eyesight are to be interpreted as emotion at the occasion.

5. The speech must convey my value as a world leader to whom other world leaders come to discuss the destiny of the world and strongly deny the impression that anybody at all is interested in my views. This is very important!!!
MsG
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#14
Bugsy said:
These are your man Broon's instructions to his (many) speechwriters:

1. I need a speech that gives the impression that I’m still taken seriously by Barak Obama and other world leaders.

2. The speech needs to indicate that I’m regularly in touch with important people in the process and that they regard me, at the very least. as being as important as I regard myself.

3. The speech should steer away from my totally indifferent attitude to HM Armed Forces and their dead. It should show that I support them in every way.

4. The speech should not indicate in any way that I find attending the Remembrance Sunday a total waste of time and effort on my part, since it doesn’t interest me in the slightest, but is part of my duties. On the contrary, emphasis should be placed on how much I admire their sacrifice. Any stumbles I make due to my failing eyesight are to be interpreted as emotion at the occasion.

5. The speech must convey my value as a world leader to whom other world leaders come to discuss the destiny of the world and strongly deny the impression that anybody at all is interested in my views. This is very important!!!
MsG
I doubt he will have made these instructions explicit but they are very clearly 'implied tasks' and clearly more important than any other content.
 
#15
And I am not prepared to put the lives of British men and women in harm's way for a government that does not stand up against corruption.
Well, that's alright then, the expenses inquiry isn't into corruption then? Cash for honours? No?
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#16
We (The UK) do not have our own, identifiable, Afghanistan Policy. We use the American one. Sad, but true, and I've seen this situation on the ground. At one conference earlier this year there were a lot of people, from all Govt Departments, and many other agencies, discussing this - and the conclusion reached - we'll do what he (Obama) does.

We have never seriously counted in Afghanistan (at least not since 1948) but remain useful in an alliance construct, that's all.


Edited to add - as proposed by our Russian lurker, on another similar thread, that GB could come out, just before the election, and say that his 5 points were not being addressed, and that he was to pull troops out - after the election.

What would the tories do then? Is he that desperate to win, or at least lessen the scale of his defeat? Does he care for nothing but power? Would he use the lives of Service personnel for a cheap political gimmick?

I'm afraid that the answer to all 3 questions is - yes, of course he would.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#17
Tango said:
And I am not prepared to put the lives of British men and women in harm's way for a government that does not stand up against corruption.
Well, that's alright then, the expenses inquiry isn't into corruption then? Cash for honours? No?
Brown didn't say anything wrong but because he is so discredited as he is not the man to be saying these things. He has been proven to be dishonest, dishonourable, duplicitous and incompetent. He should go.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads