In full: Brown Afghan speech

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Murphy_Slaw, Nov 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here is the PM's speach in full.

"If with our help the new government of Afghanistan meets these five tests, it will have fulfilled an essential contract with its own people. And it will have earned the continuing support of the international community, despite the continuing sacrifice.

If the government fails to meet these five tests, it will have not only failed its own people, it will have forfeited its right to international support. "

Is he preparing the ground for a withdrawal of British forces?
  2. Does this idiot watch the news, read the intel, smell the coffee, FFS what is he rambling about,

Remember Dr Brydon

Attached Files:

3. Following Obama's reported threats of withdrawal if Karzai fails to root out corruption, this is starting to look like an exit strategy. It is almost certain Karzai will not be able to rein in corruption. Brown and Obama will then be able to say that, owing to Afghan government failures, they are withdrawing. It saves face, because it heaps all the blame on Karzai and takes the emphasis away from the insurgents.
  4. I like GB's five tests; maybe we could apply them to his leadership too?

Security - I wonder how well he'd score on people's perception of how safe they feel in these days of an emasculated police force and joke custodial sentences set against the surveillance culture.

Governance - Luckily, we've got a squeaky-clean, corruption-free parliament and executive.

Reconciliation - I think Gordon would agree there's nothing worse than underlying tension between various factions/ethnicities. Good job there hasn't been a massive wave of uncontrolled immigration to upset the apple cart.....

Economic Development - Oh dear.

Engagement with Neighbours - Ignored by the US. Check. Sells out soul to EU. Check.

Not looking too good is it?
  5. This bit gave me a chuckle, Brown wants to read his own speech and implement some of it into his own gubmint.
  6. HAHAHA WTF is the one eyed fool talking about, Oh, and Mandelscum must have written that
  7. So will Broon pull out of the UK now?
  8. "Cronies and warlords should have no place in the future of Afghanistan."

Has he read any of the history books on Afghanistan?
    Warlords have been a fundemental part of the Afghan culture for centuries.
  9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Does he really think that 'SIB' stands for 'Service Inquiry Board'?
  10. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

That one eyed idiot hasn't read anything that tricky - he didn't even watch "The Princess Bride", even there was a Sicilian Assassian that said:

"There are two laws in the world, never fight a land war in Asia and never enter a game of chance with a Sicilian assassian!".

Even comedy knows better.
  11. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

He doesn't even know what RAF stands for, his researchers can't even bother to staff check on Defence policy - so what hope of a coherent AFG policy?

I think I had better start early drinking - I am feeling the beginnings of a full blown rant coming on.

(This was just for starters) :evil:
  12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Brown's problem is that he is he is a busted flush. He is not even yesterday's man as we have now discovered that his past 'achievements' were in fact chimera. He is also a proven liar, so much so that whatever he says the assumption is that its not true.

There was not really anything in his speech to disagree with but he still refuses to will the means to do it. Paddy Ashdown said earlier that Afghanistan should be the government's number one priority, its main effort, everything else should come second. Unfortunately its still a sideshow for Brown.
  13. These are your man Broon's instructions to his (many) speechwriters:

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I doubt he will have made these instructions explicit but they are very clearly 'implied tasks' and clearly more important than any other content.
  15. Well, that's alright then, the expenses inquiry isn't into corruption then? Cash for honours? No?