Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In celebration of TOAST!

That was about the only bad part of last year's jaunt on HMS Queen Liz - I joined in Norfolk, which was a pleasant place for a couple of nights out before we sailed, but of course they'd stored ship in the US.

The chefs did the best they could (and the food was mostly good, including a storming Christmas dinner) but breakfast in particular kept turning up that weird US "bacon" (thin-sliced, fishy-tasting streaky, that seems to go from limp and greasy to charred in an eyeblink). Even the eggs tasted vaguely of fish...

Maybe a cost thing. British style bacon is most definitely available. Cruise ships always have it, and the ones I’ve been on go US> Caribbean > US, re-storing in Florida. Or perhaps the supply officer just wrote “3 tons of bacon”.

It’d be a similar thing in Pompey with a US ship. 3 tons of steak please... sometime later...“WTF is this?”

Yokel

LE
Maybe a cost thing. British style bacon is most definitely available. Cruise ships always have it, and the ones I’ve been on go US> Caribbean > US, re-storing in Florida. Or perhaps the supply officer just wrote “3 tons of bacon”.

It’d be a similar thing in Pompey with a US ship. 3 tons of steak please... sometime later...“WTF is this?”

Again this is nothing to do with toast, but my father also mentions that in one of his first ships (this would have been late fifties) they had to eat huge amounts of Pineapple for a few weeks, as the Supply Officer had ordered ten times (or was it a hundred times?) as much as they wanted.

Bringing us back to toast, am I right in thinking there is Pineapple jam?

Last edited:

Teeblerone

War Hero
Again this is nothing to do with toast, but my father also mentions that in one of his first ships (this would have been late fifties) they had to eat huge amounts of Pineapple for a few weeks, as the Supply Officer had ordered ten times (or was it a hundred times?) as much as they wanted.

Yessir! Hartley's, I think.
A few years back & it wasn't all that. A shame, it could've been excellent!

I’ve never seen it, but it sounds lush to me!

Tool

LE
Yessir! Hartley's, I think.
A few years back & it wasn't all that. A shame, it could've been excellent!
Yes, Hartley's. Still see it occasionally at (?) Sainsbury's or (?) Waitrose. I'm senile so can't remember which. More of a sammich thang than a toastie IMHO.

Make a basic roux (white sauce) laden with garlic. Grill one side of some slices of bread, preferrably thick-sliced. Put tanned side down onto an oven-safe plate and cover with garlic sauce. Grate parmesan - cheddar if you're poor - and grill until the cheese is brown and blistering. Enjoy. Wipe dripped white sauce off your short.

White toast (again, thick slices) spread with fine peanut butter, thinly covered with Bovril (no Marmite in this house).
White toast, crunchy peanut butter, thin slices of gerkin well drained. Dill rather than sweet and sour pickles preferrable.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Yes, Hartley's. Still see it occasionally at (?) Sainsbury's or (?) Waitrose. I'm senile so can't remember which. More of a sammich thang than a toastie IMHO.

Make a basic roux (white sauce) laden with garlic. Grill one side of some slices of bread, preferrably thick-sliced. Put tanned side down onto an oven-safe plate and cover with garlic sauce. Grate parmesan - cheddar if you're poor - and grill until the cheese is brown and blistering. Enjoy. Wipe dripped white sauce off your short.

White toast (again, thick slices) spread with fine peanut butter, thinly covered with Bovril (no Marmite in this house).
White toast, crunchy peanut butter, thin slices of gerkin well drained. Dill rather than sweet and sour pickles preferrable.
Bovril sounds great.
and yes, pineapple jam can be mixed with vinegar and or chilli and or cornichons/pickles to make a groovy relish for sarnies - and fish & pork dishes (never tried it with chicken, but no reason why not).

PFGEN

GCM
Beaten to it. (just noticed the date of the article, not sure if any still going)

That looks gopping. That's not toast for normal people. That's for a bunch of effeminate hipsters pretending they like it while discussing how right on the Thunberg mong is. Even a hungry dog would look at that and return a look of "go f..k yersel'". I say Raver's idea still stands. Toasters on the table, some proper bread and a selection of toppings available depending on taste.

Last edited:

colinmc400

Swinger
Never realised there was such a thing as a "common loaf". Had my first toast from one last night and was very decent indeed. Made for a lovely crusty crust once toasted to within an inch of its life.

...Bringing us back to toast, am I right in thinking there is Pineapple jam?

Yarp. Pretty tasteless though.

I do a sun dried tomato with garlic and rosemary that can be used as a base for pasta sauces, salad dressing, pizza topping and so on. Smear on a burger way better than tommy k, but a dab on toast, slice of cheese, couple of slices of chorizo or salami and under the grill makes a fine pizza substitute after a night on the piss to revive the taste buds in the morning.

...White toast (again, thick slices) spread with fine peanut butter, thinly covered with Bovril (no Marmite in this house).

Peanut butter with sambal ulek/oelek is lush. Dutch mate who lived in Indonesia showed me that one. I showed him how to put a fresh crushed clove of garlic on it to make it better.

Satay toast. Sliced smoked chicken goes well with it.

Not a strong pineapple flavour. Just the enormous amount of sugar used to make it. It's a lot like melon and ginger jam - a sugary vehicle for bland flavours.

Latest Threads