In Case of Emergency.....

This is starting to go round on e-mails and I thought it might be useful in here, too. So simple but a great idea:

Help out in a crisis - with ICE

A Cambridge-based paramedic has launched a national campaign with Vodafone to encourage people to store emergency contact details in their mobile phones.

Bob Brotchie, a clinical team leader for the East Anglian Ambulance NHS Trust, hatched the plan last year after struggling to get contact details from shocked or injured patients.

By entering the acronym ICE – for In Case of Emergency – into the mobile’s phone book, users can log the name and number of someone who should be contacted in an emergency.

The idea follows research carried out by Vodafone that shows more than 75 per cent of people carry no details of who they would like telephoned following a serious accident.

Bob, 41, who has been a paramedic for 13 years, said: “I was reflecting on some of the calls I’ve attended at the roadside where I had to look through the mobile phone contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured person.

“It’s difficult to know who to call. Someone might have “mum” in their phone book but that doesn’t mean they’d want them contacted in an emergency.

“Almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with ICE we’d know immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may even know of their medical history.”

The campaign was launched this week by Bob and Falklands war hero Simon Weston in association with Vodafone’s annual Life Savers Awards.

Vodafone spokesperson Ally Stevens said: “By adopting the ICE advice, your mobile will now also help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or relative – which could be vital in a life or death situation.”

The campaign is also asking people to think carefully about who will be their ICE partner - with helpful advice on who to choose - particularly if that person has to give consent for emergency medical treatment.

Bob hopes that all emergency services will promote ICE in their area as part of a national awareness campaign to highlight the importance of carrying next of kin details at all times.

He said the idea was for the benefit of loved ones as well as the patient.

“Research suggests people recover quicker from the psychological effects of their loved one being hurt if they are involved at an earlier stage and they can reach them quickly," he added.

He said he hoped mobile phone companies would now build the ICE contact into future models, adding: "It's not a difficult thing to do. As many people say they carry mobile phones in case of an emergency, it seems natural this information should be kept there."
http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/content/news/newsdetail.asp?newsID=646104183

Maybe they should get this campaign into schools, as youngsters are the most prolific users of mobiles?

Bloody good idea.

Needs the support of an educational campaign, two or three million pounds worth of advertising, a Labour "working" peer as chair, a £45 million standards QUANGO to oversee it and a host of counsellors, equality representatives and outreach workers....but otherwise it seems very sensible....

(From the desk of C.Clarke, acquired by Arrseonian SIA agents)

My understanding of this is that Simon Weston started the campaign.

Needs the support of an educational campaign, two or three million pounds worth of advertising, a Labour "working" peer as chair, a £45 million standards QUANGO to oversee it and a host of counsellors, equality representatives and outreach workers....but otherwise it seems very sensible....

Easy on the burst fire there Cuddles.

Or the Police could simply scroll down your list of numbers (as they do routinely anyway) to where it says 'Mum and Dad', and phone that number on the off chance that it does actually belong to your Mum and Dad.

I would assume that most of the numbers on your mobile belong to someone who actually knows you?

Complete waste of time, designed to make us feel better and more 'secure' over the whole thing. Contrary to popular opinion, the Police aren't stupid, and will check all the numbers on your mobile if you are a victim of an attack like this.

I would not want my mum to be contacted in case of an emergency.

I think this is a really good idea and it is one I've seen posted on a few other boards lately too.

You could have a couple of numbers as well

ICE1
ICE2 etc.

If everyone has ICE before name of person to contact emergency services can get into habit of always looking straight at "I" and don't have to faff about - not everyone has a mum and dad!

It's not a knee jerk reaction to the bombing crabspy, it's been on going for a while, and as an adult with neither parent alive my next of kin is guess work from my phone other than for ICE beside their entry.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=19656.html

blessed baby cakes said:
I read about this a while ago, as well as receiving a round robin a month or so ago, and had a quick look into it by asking the LFB and LAS PR people what they thought. They love it! They went on to give me a run down on man hours and costing of tracking relatives of those involved in accidents that render them unable to communicate their info to the hospital. Further footnote they'd liked to see the ICE nominee holding any info on medications and the injured parties GPs that would help them if an underlying condition existed.

Beebs

Pops, Next Of Kin / N.O.K. has been a well known phrase for decades! I appreciate that not everyone has a parent to contact or that they'd want their parent(s) contacted, all I said was that as well as having Dad's number in my phone under 'Dad' I have additionally pointed out my N.O.K.

DozyBint said:
Pops, Next Of Kin / N.O.K. has been a well known phrase for decades! I appreciate that not everyone has a parent to contact or that they'd want their parent(s) contacted, all I said was that as well as having Dad's number in my phone under 'Dad' I have additionally pointed out my N.O.K.
Well obviously the professionals who designed the initiative felt NOK wasn't the best option or they'd have suggested it. :) If the idea is nationally taken up all it'll take is a simple change in your phonebook! Good show for being a step ahead of the game Dozy! As previously stated it's not the people who do that they aim to target rather those who don't.

Beebs

CrapSpy said:
Or the Police could simply scroll down your list of numbers (as they do routinely anyway) to where it says 'Mum and Dad', and phone that number on the off chance that it does actually belong to your Mum and Dad.

I would assume that most of the numbers on your mobile belong to someone who actually knows you?

Complete waste of time, designed to make us feel better and more 'secure' over the whole thing. Contrary to popular opinion, the Police aren't stupid, and will check all the numbers on your mobile if you are a victim of an attack like this.

And you think the emergency services have how much time to fanny about with mobile phones crapspy.

Face it, this is a good idea, it will work and it will save time for the paramedic that finds you in a heap pi**ed as a fart unconscious in a bush. ID done in a 20 second phone call.

Why not support it as a going concern before slamming it straight away.

blessed baby cakes said:
Well obviously the professionals who designed the initiative felt NOK wasn't the best option or they'd have suggested it. :)
Fair enough, but to me it smacks more than a little of rebranding! I can imagine the meeting that it was dreamt up in, all back-slapping & "Fabulous idea!" blah, blah, blah!! :roll: :wink:

DozyBint said:
blessed baby cakes said:
Well obviously the professionals who designed the initiative felt NOK wasn't the best option or they'd have suggested it. :)
Fair enough, but to me it smacks more than a little of rebranding! I can imagine the meeting that it was dreamt up in, all back-slapping & "Fabulous idea!" blah, blah, blah!! :roll: :wink:
As I understand it "Nominated person" has replaced next of kin these days anyway.....

^ Can't say I've seen that one, Pops, & I've filled in an awful lot of governmental & corporate paperwork over the past year. Nevertheless, it won't kill me to amend to ICE.

Received this email today:

> > From: Someone
> > Sent: 13 July 2005 10:32
>
> > To: MyssL
>
> > Subject: FW: ICE scam...
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Subject: FW: ICE scam...
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I sent an email about this last week (believing it to be legitimate).
>
> > However, as you can see below, it is a scam.
>
> >
>
> > Hello all
>
> >
>
> > Some of you may have seen an email doing the rounds in reaction to last
>
> > week's events.
>
> >
>
> > It has to do with creating an "ICE" account (In Case of Emergency) on your
>
> > mobiles DON'T do this as its all a big scam; apparently...
>
> >
>
> > this is a modular system that will search ICE text... it then changes your
>
> > phone's settings and takes your PAYG credit
>
> >
>
> > Thanks
I don't know how true or fake it is but the original sender is legitimate (spelling?)