In case anyone's wondering....

Que?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
She's his Queen, he's her Deputy First Minister. The Union Flag flies over Stormont and the Royal Irish Regiment have held a homecoming parade through Belfast. Doesn't look like a Republican victory to me.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Her Majesty is clearly going for a wrist lock.

Just a 1 to 1 with the employer. ...

I had one the other day with my boss.... he asked me about morale.....

Wonder what Marty would say about morale within Republicanism.... on the losing side since the fcuking dinosaurs.

Interesting that she's pressed her thumb against the back of his hand; subtle sign of dominance. Also quite a lot of space between them, the Queen is keeping him at a distance by extending her arm.

Nor does it look particularly like the terrorists have been ousted.

It's at best a stalemate and it's far from over.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice wallpaper, similar to my lounge, very tasteful.

Come to think of it, the Queen has probably met more murderers than Albert Pierrepoint over the years.

British state policy is a wonderfully flexible thing...

Interesting that she's pressed her thumb against the back of his hand; subtle sign of dominance. Also quite a lot of space between them, the Queen is keeping him at a distance by extending her arm.
At least as interesting as the fact that he looked her in the eye without a trace of deference or pretence of warmth.

It's all in the way you read it.

What is without doubt is that the DFM has been, and will be in the future, the honoured and respected guest of the Crown.

Meanwhile, the lads that died on Banner are still fertilizer.

Y'see... That's the reality. The will of the people. Paint it any brightly coloured shade that you want to, but an unqualified butcher's boy from a shitty bit of Derry is being feted by our Queen, principally because he and his gang of thugs sent so many of those who took her shilling (and others) home in boxes.

And it's still a better situation than had it not happened.

Ruminate upon this and lament the inequity of our existence.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
This photo would make a great caption competition if somebody could be arsed to copy it and open a new thread.

Tactfully Prince Philip is out of shot, but he would be quite audible. I wonder what he would be saying..........
I'm sure Martin's reply to anything untoward would be to offer to take him fishing round his uncle's old spot at Mullaghmore.

For every silly little anti Shinner fantasy of this ilk, there is an equivalent, and frankly considerably more plausible counter.

The reality is that in the way of these occasions they will be most civil to each other.

Nor does it look particularly like the terrorists have been ousted.

It's at best a stalemate and it's far from over.
No, of course it's not - but the venue and means have changed. The other side is on the back foot now and needs to catch itself on politically, socially and culturally, or them other ones will walk away with it by default.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sure Martin's reply to anything untoward would be to offer to take him fishing round his uncle's old spot at Mullaghmore.

For every silly little anti Shinner fantasy of this ilk, there is an equivalent, and frankly considerably more plausible counter.

The reality is that in the way of these occasions they will be most civil to each other.
Oh indeed, but surely you saw that I want being that serious in my post?

You need a long spoon if you're going to sup with the Devil.