Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Appreciation of Giles and other Cartoonists

I don't know when you attempted to import such 'degrading filth' but it might have been something to do with the fact that the Horny Biker Slut's all had Adam's apples and a fully working set of cogs and gears down below.

Times have obviously changed, you can now get it from Amazon. In fact it's now probably on the national curriculum to promote the non-binary wokeness.

I don't recall the Adams apples, maybe I was distracted by the graphic gynaecology.
Sure you're not mixing it up with Tom of Finland?

I believe you mean Larry Pickering, a cartoonist who really did not give a damn who he offended in his drawings.
View attachment 526981View attachment 526982View attachment 526983View attachment 526984
Aah, Yes ... you are correct, to be sure! Where the fk “Bill” came from even the Purple-Robed One himself is at a loss to explain! And, yes, Larry did not care for the preciousses of society advising him of their conceptions of “right or wrong”. In the same vein as those you have provided, I thought his depiction of the Senator (how, I ask, just how!) Lambie was quite apt. Again, my thanks, for correcting a befuddled Old F4rt!

Lo and behold, there was for on sale a series of 20-odd BD volumes about the Albigensian Crusade. I bought them all hoping to improve my French; my knowledge of history; and my understanding of the region.

But all the text was written in the French equivalent of Shakespearean English. Beautifully drawn, but I can barely make it through a couple of pages before I give up on the text and instead look at pictures of Simon de Montfort killing everyone.
Yes, I came likewise unstuck when I bought the script to 'Cyrano de Bergerac ', by Rostand, on which the Rappeneau film was closely based.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don't recall the Adams apples, maybe I was distracted by the graphic gynaecology.
Sure you're not mixing it up with Tom of Finland?
In your posted image it's not the dude's larynx that is thrust in the viewer's face.
Anyway, descending into definitely politically incorrect I give you...
img_20200308_142706-png.454605

FWIW my bank has an entrance direct from the underground trains, hardly anyone leaves the building at lunch, and I work in a football pitch sized room all day.

And I never carry an umbrella these days......
If not you, then one of your colleagues was possibly the source for that cartoon. The authors encourage contributions from actual bankers.

HE117

LE
My Bold. Bank of England?
... don't think so. The entrance to Bank station is at one corner of the Bank building.. there is no direct access to the inside of the BoE, at least not one that is available to the general bank staff or the public.

The governor does however have a private lift, and you never know...!

... don't think so. The entrance to Bank station is at one corner of the Bank building.. there is no direct access to the inside of the BoE, at least not one that is available to the general bank staff or the public.

Back in my childhood, i do remember being told there was an entrance from bank station into the BoE manned by plod. This stopped in the mid sixties.

The other thing told to me was why the stations platforms are curved. It seems that when the line was first made, they had to go around the gold vaults which are at the same level as the train lines, and are only a few feet the other side of the tunnel walls.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Back in my childhood, i do remember being told there was an entrance from bank station into the BoE manned by plod. This stopped in the mid sixties.

The other thing told to me was why the stations platforms are curved. It seems that when the line was first made, they had to go around the gold vaults which are at the same level as the train lines, and are only a few feet the other side of the tunnel walls.
Yep. Tightest platform curves on the LU network because of it.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

The entrance to the BoE computer centre in 1995 was a couple of hundred yards from the entrance to St Paul's underground, on New Change overlooking the cathedral. For the Spring of 95, the view from my office window while I wrote a sample client GUI front end for the Crest paperless share trading system was the opposite from the normal view of the cathedral on the other side of the road. I hesitate to say the back view cos it was as good as the front view.

I left in early May. Drinks by the river, back, find them humping some kit outside the entrance, pick up my kit, hand in ID badge, say goodbye to the doorman in the pink frock-coat uniform and walk out into the hot early summer early afternoon air. To find a pair of spotlights outside the door, one either side. Thinks, "Strange way to say fairwell."

Hop on tube, train home. Ten o'clock News with Trevor McDonald. "Today marks the 50th anniversary of VE day. To mark it, we've recreated the iconic picture of St Paul's in the Blitz with a pair of searchlights behind". Those searchlights!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Tyk

LE
It's interesting just how many people appreciate how clever the cartoonists really are, I suppose that explains just why so many newspapers carry them still and how popular the websites are.

Cartoons and the slightly weird way they carry humour are pretty special.

One of my favourite Larsons
065430FB-D1D3-4EEA-AF03-FE22346663F3.jpeg

Latest Threads