Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Appreciation of Giles and other Cartoonists

Saw this in an Oldie Cartoon collection.

Thought it was quite apt for these days.

Scan.jpg

And appropriate for almost any era.

Scan2.jpg

I've had this for years and only recently dug it out in response to this thread. It documents the experiences of a soldier from departing Southampton, sailing round South Africa, a brief moment of terror in the Western Desert
a funny kind of war.jpg
and subsequent incarceration in various POW camps. Well worth a read if you can get a copy. ISBN 0-85140-665-3.

For the military cartoonist, I humbly offer Bruce Bairnsfather (9 July 1887 – 29 September 1959) , originator of the Ol' Bill series of cartoons during WWI, of which (arguably) the most famous of which was this:

View attachment 454084

whereby Bill, a stoic and sometimes curmudgeonly Pte of an unamed British infantry regiment, offers sage advice to a complaining (and scared!) new arrival.

Bairnsfather knew of what he wrote, having served as a Pln Cdr in France and Flanders up to 1915, when he was invalided home suffering from shell shock.

Bairnsfather was given a commission by the US Army in WW2, and provided cartoons for Stars and Stripes, murals, and nose art for USAAF aircraft.
A B-17 of the 305th Heavy Bombardment Group (out of Chelveston) was named "Old Bill" and had an image of the character giving a V (for Victory) sign.
"Old Bill" was hit by cannon fire from a FW190 head on attack on 15 May 1943 over Wangerooge (Friesian Islands). The navigator was killed, and both pilots wounded. The Bombardier managed to fly the bomber back to Chelveston, where the pilot had recovered sufficiently to land safely.

This pic shows Bairnsfather standing next to the battered plane.

1589716574284.png

Notice how the ground crew have covered the Norden bombsight with a flying jacket, for security reasons.

Last edited:
When I was a young lad, one of my aunties always had a stock of Giles and Andy Capp annuals which she kept in the lavatory. A session on the throne always took far longer than it should.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
This guy gets it right more often than not

View attachment 458295
Only just seen this. Shades of my first time home on leave. The morning after, with the just-got-home hangover, I've shoved all of my kit into the washing machine, added powder etc. and switched it on.

In storms my mother, who might best be described as having been fiercely protective of her domestic duties, and starts screeching and wailing about how I might "break the machine".

Pointing out that 1) HMG had entrusted me with some quite sophisticated stuff that kills people, 2) that I needed to know how to take it apart, service it and put it back together again, 3) that far exceeded in complexity pressing a few buttons on a washing machine only increased the whining (and not from the machine's drum).

Hair of the dog, then. There was no point in sticking around.

Resurrect time ... the late Bill Pickering always had a good grasp of reality:
110792BA-4645-4B61-9FCB-556EDD3C8904.jpeg
069BB653-E144-4788-B08E-926A07102AF4.jpeg
D96A6BC4-0F65-4ED4-91DE-9D48BE33B777.jpeg

Edited: “Larry” Pickering, ffksk! The Emperor ... or the Ancient Cleric, influence may have been strong when I posted this. Thanks, all.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
This Hellman cartoon was published in Private Eye in 2001, (back when the Eye was prepared to question the motives of the EU). I wrote off to the magazine, asking for a copy; two weeks later Hellman himself posted me this, which is now framed and mounted above my desk in the library*:

1607351948443.png

*Despite living in a three bedroom terraced house, and also despite the connivances and continuous suggested redesigns of SWMBO, I have a room dedicated as the library: ceiling height bookshelves on three walls, small TV, radio, work desk and sofa. Priorities, dear Arrsers, priorities...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
One of my favourite Fougasse cartoons is, as an engineer working on a large London-based subterranean mass transport network, directly work related for me:

1607353215281.png

So much so I used it as the title page for a report on escalator passenger safety innovations I was responsible for. I was contacted by London Transport Museum and informed in no uncertain terms that this was a breach of copyright in their eyes; my Line manager's boss twice removed (in an upward direction) contacted them and in even more direct terms told them that as the artwork in question was being used by the company which still owns it, they could jog on. =-D

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

QRK2

LE
Only just seen this. Shades of my first time home on leave. The morning after, with the just-got-home hangover, I've shoved all of my kit into the washing machine, added powder etc. and switched it on.

In storms my mother, who might best be described as having been fiercely protective of her domestic duties, and starts screeching and wailing about how I might "break the machine".

Pointing out that 1) HMG had entrusted me with some quite sophisticated stuff that kills people, 2) that I needed to know how to take it apart, service it and put it back together again, 3) that far exceeded in complexity pressing a few buttons on a washing machine only increased the whining (and not from the machine's drum).

Hair of the dog, then. There was no point in sticking around.

Very similar experience asking if I could borrow some sort of power tool from my father after (IIRC) my second tour.

Loved Fred Gassit - seemed to empathise with him most when I was a despatch rider (whatever happened to @mudbutton who used this as his avatar btw!)

Anyway, descending into definitely politically incorrect I give you...
View attachment 454605

Not realising just how sus this was I sent off to the US for some copies and got a nice letter from HM Customs marked 'seizure of indecent materials'.
I phoned to ask just how bad a cartoon can be and cited Fab Furry Freaks, Roger Crumb et al. "Ooooh it's bad!" said Customs bloke on end of phone - he sounded like one of Pete n Duds 'Derek and Clive' characters - obviously just had a hard day with Jayne Mansfield.
I don't know when you attempted to import such 'degrading filth' but it might have been something to do with the fact that the Horny Biker Slut's all had Adam's apples and a fully working set of cogs and gears down below.

Times have obviously changed, you can now get it from Amazon. In fact it's now probably on the national curriculum to promote the non-binary wokeness.

Latest Threads