In Appreciation of Giles and other Cartoonists

skeetstar

Old-Salt
My school library had a set of bound punch magazines going back well into the 1800s (I think).
Some of the more modern ones had a caption competition on the inside back page. Readers were invited to re caption old cartoons. Some of them were absolute gold dust. I'll do a search to se if I can find any.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Look up ... punch magazine caption competition archive.
The essence of gentle middle class english humour.

Oops

Old-Salt
Look up ... punch magazine caption competition archive.
The essence of gentle middle class english humour.
Grandfather was a GP, active duty WW2 son of a Doc. served Mesopotamia WW1..

Black sense of humour strongly ingrained.
Used to subscribe to Medical Punch...

Used to have writ large, right across the cover summat like.
'Medical professionals only'
'NOT FOR THE WAITING ROOM'

FFS, once I got old enough to nick one I was hooked.
Dunno whether Shipman was the last nail, or the growing 'enlightenment' amongst the younger medical profession,earlier.
Grandfathers demise was sometime around the same era.

I can happily report the family tradition continues along another brach of the tree, in all it's facets!

My school library had a set of bound punch magazines going back well into the 1800s (I think).
Some of the more modern ones had a caption competition on the inside back page. Readers were invited to re caption old cartoons. Some of them were absolute gold dust. I'll do a search to se if I can find any.
I remember those - my favourite was a picture something like this one:

The winning caption was "I keep telling the cap'n he always takes the Horn too fast"

QRK2

LE
This guy gets it right more often than not

1584806845490.png

@fantassin has posted this in a thread entitled ‘Asterix is now an orphan’.
Albert Uderzo, the artist who drew the Astérix and Obélix series, has died today of a heart attack, aged 92.

RIP
224032A0-B7A3-4149-A933-7869A937C1AA.png

I remember those - my favourite was a picture something like this one:

The winning caption was "I keep telling the cap'n he always takes the Horn too fast"
BUOTC had a small picture above the door of the bar in Tennal that had been given similar treatment.

It featured (to my eye) two dehorsed Napoleonic Cav types dressed for cold weather lying on the ground but straining up to see what was happening in the distance. The caption read:
"At lease they have stopped yelling go for it Sir "

An interesting column in the Speccie:
Clipboard01.jpg

"In 1967, Jack Markow wrote the Cartoonist’s and Gag Writer’s Handbook, which lists ten pages of useful potential captions for single-frame cartoons, including ‘Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking’, ‘Pretend you didn’t notice him’, ‘I just washed my hair and can’t do a thing with it’, ‘It’s a boy’, and many, many more. All work, in some way, with ‘The Scream’. I particularly liked, in the current climate, the simple ‘Gesundheit’. "

An endless list of captions coming up...

An interesting column in the Speccie:
View attachment 459949
"In 1967, Jack Markow wrote the Cartoonist’s and Gag Writer’s Handbook, which lists ten pages of useful potential captions for single-frame cartoons, including ‘Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking’, ‘Pretend you didn’t notice him’, ‘I just washed my hair and can’t do a thing with it’, ‘It’s a boy’, and many, many more. All work, in some way, with ‘The Scream’. I particularly liked, in the current climate, the simple ‘Gesundheit’. "

An endless list of captions coming up...
If you ever go to Oslo, the Munch art gallery / museum is a must . Paintings and the history is fantastic but must admit after learning about the theft of two paintings by inept robbers . I spent a lot of time looking at the CCTV cameras and door , just kind of thinking.

Last edited:

Latest Threads