In a time of.....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by brucewillis, Nov 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently attended two Remembrance parades in Northumberland, while both parades were really well attended by the general public. The TA numbers were sadly lacking on what they were in say the late 80s and 90s. While this thread is not sentimental towards SLRs and cold war warriors, just wonder if the 1999 SDR and the capping of MTDs is now reaping its rewards in the face of government "U" turn on the TA/Reserves?

Are the TAs lack of numbers/recruiting down to..

1, Long winded recruitment procedure for an end result that gives nothing back to the recruit in the short term, especially if he/she joins a unit that is poorly recruited in the first place?

2, Once through recruit trg, unit trg is so poor that he/she decide why have I bothered and leave?

3, Or should I just pour another vodka and shut the **** up?
  2. 1 and 3.
  3. Assuming "1" will be achieved by the unit and "3" will be taken as read!
  4. The poor availability of G4 for the Reserves...
  5. So don't go in FAD, parade in CS95, PCS or whatever. Piss poor excuse.
  6. I'm Reg and 90% of my platoon doesn't have FAD so parade in PCS not even close to an excuse.
  7. This just oozes that the TA should be made up of ex-Regs or cease to exist.

The thought of being given orders from a Never-served, spotty, Media-studies 2LT makes me want to fill my water-bottle at the dirtiest hole in Taffcheckiwekkistan without using Puritabs.

Why should "anything be given back" to the Weekend warrior? 27 (?) days a year doing airsoft for **** all, you should pay the tax-payer for that luxury.

Have another Gorbachov, or **** ov.
  8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

When I was in Germany I wasn't picked to attend the service, small church in Fally. I turned up in a suit with my kids. CSM said it was the first time one of his Coy had turned up out of their own free will.

If need be I would have gone in Jeans.

It's not what you wear it's the respect you offer.

IMHO, but I may be wrong.
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Or for some, its that pathetic little bit of pocket-money they get for a show-up. its not that bad, but I know guys who base their lifes "finances" on their "week-end work". If thats all that matters then they re in the wrong club.

A guy at our place does the max (96 days??) cos he s a loser in Civvy St,goes from job to job, claims as an ex-Reg pissed-matresse allowance, boot-polish, doby-dust et al, funnily enough, he s the unit Blanket-stacker/Gofor.

Its not MMMMMMMMM, pause, MMMMMMMMM reload, MMMMMMMMM,......... either you can talk the talk, or walk the walk.
  10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I was;

Air Cadet
    And now due to become a civvy. To kin old for anything else.

In 40 odd years I cannot remember missing a parade.

I was not part of an official parade this year, but I still dragged my arrse out of bed to attend. It was not a chore it was an honour.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. H3

H3 LE

Possibly the folk were on ops so their a little bit busy to show face !!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Except that they weren't.
  13. My old man served for 22 years, including WW2. As far as I remember, he rarely, if ever, attended a remembrance service/parade.

I think it's a personal thing, not to be praised or condemned either way.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Really good rant; shame the OP was actually commenting on the current size of the TA, not the percentage that turn out for Remembrance.
    • Like Like x 1