In A House of Lies

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Auld-Yin submitted a new resource:

In A House of Lies - Crime novel set in Edinburgh

The Rebus series of stories have been a huge success and this book is a worthy addition to that list. Rankin has stated that he has always kept Rebus in real time so this sees the story not so much about him, but about a murder case he worked on 12 years previously while Rebus himself is a retired officer with COPD, and looking it. The case was not solved and in fact was so badly handled that complaints were raised by the victim’s family about the incompetence of the police.

Then one...
Read more about this resource...

I can also recommend the Audible.com audio book version of this. Very well narrated.
I find Audible way more expensive than the same books on I Tunes. Is there a subscription way of bringing the prices down on Audible?

I find Audible way more expensive than the same books on I Tunes. Is there a subscription way of bringing the prices down on Audible?
I pay £8.99 a month and get one credit. I have a shorter commute now so a decent book lasts me ages. As a subscriber you also get freebies. I am currently enjoying an 8 x 30 minute series by Stephen Fry about the Victorians. Then I have his 15 hour telling of the Greek sagas. I thoroughly recommend it. Also, research has shown that listening to the spoken work helps keep concentration levels up on long journeys which is what I got the subscription for in the first place.

I pay £8.99 a month and get one credit. I have a shorter commute now so a decent book lasts me ages. As a subscriber you also get freebies. I am currently enjoying an 8 x 30 minute series by Stephen Fry about the Victorians. Then I have his 15 hour telling of the Greek sagas. I thoroughly recommend it. Also, research has shown that listening to the spoken work helps keep concentration levels up on long journeys which is what I got the subscription for in the first place.
I’m a massive covert to audiobooks. Does one credit buy you any book or only up to the value of £8.99?

I’m a massive covert to audiobooks. Does one credit buy you any book or only up to the value of £8.99?
The monthly credit gets you one book of ANY value. For example, the credit I used got me the Fry Greek book which is priced at £20 plus! Given my movements over the next month it'll be unlikely I'll hear the whole thing before my next credit - you can also relisten to previous purchases whenever you want. I download them to my phone and listen via Bluetooth.

There is also a way of getting cheap audiobooks via Bookbub. Bookbub emails you free and cheap [99p] ebooks. I've had some real gems - and a few stinkers - from it. 99p on amazon and an audiobook for an extra couple of quid. Well worth checking out.