Improving run times

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by g2_loony_bin, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to improve my overall run time and running performance as well as acing the mile and a half.

I'm currently doing a programme on a treadmill, running at 1 to 1.5 incline in order to compensate for being propelled along by the machine and long distance plods for an hour at a time.

Can anyone help me in regards to a speed maintenance programme and the sort of speed and endurance efforts I should be attempting?

Much obliged!

2. Get off the treadmill and hit the tarmac, preferably tarmac with some big hills. Ask CR for some tips!!!

3. Are you sure....?

4. ok here's a tip. don't run long distances on roads or you'll be downgraded by the age of 34 with chronic osteoarthritis in both knees.

back to scorptin, sure he'll be glad to take you running every morning and help you pass :)

5. To improve your run time, I find that moving your legs more quickly, and continuing to do so until you have covered the required distance, works a treat.
    Hope this helps.

6. Funnily enough, no.

7. Theres no pleasing some people.

8. A nice chap in the paras once told me, to improve my mile and a half, pick a time to aim for eg. 10 mins, run in one direction for 5, then back for 5. Do it again and again, trying to cover more ground each time, until you reach 3/4 mile each way.

Is this a wah? You'll never increase your speed by running for an hour on a tredmill. The only thing that will work is interval, fartlek or hill reps. They fecking hurt, but they do the job.

9. No mate, no wah. Treadmill work is done in intense bursts. Long distance is done on road, perhaps I should swap that around then?

10. Cheers Flowers, that's a grand help. Giving me some additional ideas!

11. when running on the treadmill, use one of the programme settings that varies speed and ascent rate. Set the timer and difficulty level at a level that you can only just keep up with. set the programme progressively harder each time. You will soon see results if you dont wimp out.

12. run 2/3 miles each time at a steady pace for about 3 weeks to get a good base and add some sprints into them about 50m each. I went from a granny time of 14:14 to 8:56

13. How long did it take you to get that time then?

14. Could you expand on that? Just 2/3 of a mile, no further? And 50m within the 2/3 or additionally? And over what period of time?