Improving run times

I'm looking to improve my overall run time and running performance as well as acing the mile and a half.

I'm currently doing a programme on a treadmill, running at 1 to 1.5 incline in order to compensate for being propelled along by the machine and long distance plods for an hour at a time.

Can anyone help me in regards to a speed maintenance programme and the sort of speed and endurance efforts I should be attempting?

Much obliged!

Scorptin said:
Get off the treadmill and hit the tarmac, preferably tarmac with some big hills. Ask CR for some tips!!!
Are you sure....?

ok here's a tip. don't run long distances on roads or you'll be downgraded by the age of 34 with chronic osteoarthritis in both knees.

back to scorptin, sure he'll be glad to take you running every morning and help you pass :)

To improve your run time, I find that moving your legs more quickly, and continuing to do so until you have covered the required distance, works a treat.
Hope this helps.

sandmanfez said:
To improve your run time, I find that moving your legs more quickly, and continuing to do so until you have covered the required distance, works a treat.
Hope this helps.
Funnily enough, no.

g2_loony_bin said:
sandmanfez said:
Hope this helps.
Funnily enough, no.
Theres no pleasing some people.

A nice chap in the paras once told me, to improve my mile and a half, pick a time to aim for eg. 10 mins, run in one direction for 5, then back for 5. Do it again and again, trying to cover more ground each time, until you reach 3/4 mile each way.

Is this a wah? You'll never increase your speed by running for an hour on a tredmill. The only thing that will work is interval, fartlek or hill reps. They fecking hurt, but they do the job.

milsum said:
A nice chap in the paras once told me, to improve my mile and a half, pick a time to aim for eg. 10 mins, run in one direction for 5, then back for 5. Do it again and again, trying to cover more ground each time, until you reach 3/4 mile each way.

Is this a wah? You'll never increase your speed by running for an hour on a tredmill. The only thing that will work is interval, fartlek or hill reps. They fecking hurt, but they do the job.
No mate, no wah. Treadmill work is done in intense bursts. Long distance is done on road, perhaps I should swap that around then?

Cheers Flowers, that's a grand help. Giving me some additional ideas!

when running on the treadmill, use one of the programme settings that varies speed and ascent rate. Set the timer and difficulty level at a level that you can only just keep up with. set the programme progressively harder each time. You will soon see results if you dont wimp out.

E5_Man said:
run 2/3 miles each time at a steady pace for about 3 weeks to get a good base and add some sprints into them about 50m each. I went from a granny time of 14:14 to 8:56
Could you expand on that? Just 2/3 of a mile, no further? And 50m within the 2/3 or additionally? And over what period of time?

There is no substitute for doing the miles in the great outdoors - treadmills just don't do it for me.

BUT:

The advantage of treadmills is that they give you clear data, so they could have a place in your training plan. If you are serious about getting faster, then set the treadmill on one of the interval-type programmes and then write down in a notebook the distance covered, speed, etc. Then every time you go on the treadmill, notch up the speed a bit and be determined never to be slower than the last time you did it. I would suggest treadmill once a week and outdoors the rest. It will give you a good benchmark of your fitness.

I followed this for 6 months in NI once, when I couldn't run outside. I lost over a stone and was fitter than I had been for a long time.

I have to agree Irish. I hate treadmills but they have thier place in any running schedule. In times of winter it's nice to be indoors on one but you can't replace the full experience of outdoor running.

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
ok here's a tip. don't run long distances on roads or you'll be downgraded by the age of 34 with chronic osteoarthritis in both knees.

back to scorptin, sure he'll be glad to take you running every morning and help you pass :)
inaccurate statements like this have no place on a forum like this or indeed a website dedicated to the forces.

If you want to improve your running then study the science of running. There are numerous books, websites and magazines on the subject.

to improve 1.5m time some VO2 interval training will definitely be required after a decent weekly base mileage has been attained.

g2_loony_bin said:
I'm looking to improve my overall run time and running performance as well as acing the mile and a half.

I'm currently doing a programme on a treadmill, running at 1 to 1.5 incline in order to compensate for being propelled along by the machine and long distance plods for an hour at a time.

Can anyone help me in regards to a speed maintenance programme and the sort of speed and endurance efforts I should be attempting?

Much obliged!
G2LB

There's a fair bit of sound advice on this thread already (aerobic work first, leading to progressive intervals). However, before I would be so bold as to prescribe a plan, I would ask you for a little more info such as how fast you run the 1.5 at present (clearly your needs would be different if you're a big fat bloater who struggles to walk to the start line than if you're already a decent runner seeking to improve an already adequate performance). However, what I will say is the best bit of advice that anybody ever gave me on PT matters and that is this: get yourself a coach. Go and visit your QMSI or PTI and talk it through with them. They should give you some casual advice and may even write you up a decent training plan that is structured for general conditioning and specific purpose training.

PM me if you're struggling. I will bore you forever on modern training principles and a thing called 'the training effect' (albeit with a time trial cycling bias (the basic theory is the same)).

Dragstrip

The best tip for improving PFT times is to go out on the lash the night before drinking at least 30 units of Alcohol and smoking 40 tabs , followed by shagging a fat minger leaving her house at six in the morning ( making sure to wipe your dick on her curtains on the way out ) this should greatly improve your run times .