Improving rat packs

I do alot of weekend exercises as a cadet instructor and am getting bored of the rat packs we get issued. What can I take to add to the meals to make them taste that little bit better/different?

Wasn't there a thread on this already?

Or was that just the old and bold giving advice for Ra-Packs from the 80's?

Small bottle of tabasco sauce.
small tub Curry powder or paste

Thats about it really. I pick up a few sauce sachets and sweeteners from work and my local Wetherspoons when their not looking. I like sweetened tea, but the dissolved sugar gives me toothache!

That pepper sauce that has appeared in rat packs recently is pathetic.

Instant mash is a good idea as well as Oxo cubes, (use as a drink or add to the stew)Tube of Engish Mustard,Tabasco & curry paste as well.

I did try using the seach facility but got dozens of pages that mention the words ration and packs but not about how to make the meals any better.

Cheers for the suggestions so far, any more ideas always welcome! :hungry:

See if you can get hold of the older film cases (I belive they used to be from Kodak?) that everyone used in the days before digital.

Then all you have to do, is offload various suggestions into the film cases, and then include them in your webbing. Each time you make a meal, you have lots of pots of extra's to add.

Maybe I was strange, but I was always happy with the packs themselves.

My latest obsession is Aldi's tomato puree - no added salt and 25p a big tube. I'll tire eventually, but at the minute I'm squirting it into everything.

JJ123 said:
You could try taking some oxo cubes with you, make some gravy, and use it to improve that god awful corned beef.
How dare you, sir. Corned beef hash is the best meal of the lot and a tremendous morale booster. It certainly does not require bastardising with oxo cubes!

Philistine ;)

Bravo_Zulu said:
JJ123 said:
You could try taking some oxo cubes with you, make some gravy, and use it to improve that god awful corned beef.
How dare you, sir. Corned beef hash is the best meal of the lot and a tremendous morale booster. It certainly does not require bastardising with oxo cubes!

Philistine ;)
Well make the most of it as my sources say it is going to be removed shortly.

m2mSolutions said:
Bravo_Zulu said:
JJ123 said:

Philistine ;)
What :x

Can double check on Mon but as far as I recall the recent survey carried out on Op HERRICK as well as the analysis resulting from routine data gathering exercises suggests that Corned Beef Hash was not popular; therefore, it is going to be removed.

Don't know who has been complaining on the surveys - but it certainly wasn't me - I love the stuff.

Bravo_Zulu said:
m2mSolutions said:
Bravo_Zulu said:
JJ123 said:

Philistine ;)
What :x
Well, I'm outraged!

As Bravo Zulu said, Corned Bodily Hard is the best meal in the whole menu scheme.

m2mSolutions said:
Can double check on Mon but as far as I recall the recent survey carried out on Op HERRICK as well as the analysis resulting from routine data gathering exercises suggests that Corned Beef Hash was not popular; therefore, it is going to be removed.

Don't know who has been complaining on the surveys - but it certainly wasn't me - I love the stuff.
bugger! Looks like i rephrased too soon.

Had a great rat pack lesson a few weeks ago on exercise at AFC, the NCO had repacked the box and tricked us all into thinking it was full of crisps and cans of coke. some of the dimmer recruits were still checking other soldiers ration packs in the morning because they 'didnt get the coke, must have the old one' :D

I need to ask.

1 tin corned beef. Sliced thinly
4 spuds cut into slices & par boiled
1 Onion cut into slices for rings
1 tin baked beans
1 oxo = 1/2 pt stock.

Alternate layers of beans, spuds, corned beef, onion. Finish by covering with 1/2 pt stock. Cook for 1 Hr. what could be simpler???

LondonTankie said:
Had a great rat pack lesson a few weeks ago on exercise at AFC, the NCO had repacked the box and tricked us all into thinking it was full of crisps and cans of coke. some of the dimmer recruits were still checking other soldiers ration packs in the morning because they 'didnt get the coke, must have the old one' :D
Did he do the old false-bottom trick where you start pulling bottles of chilled beer, bags of chips, strings of sausages, Playstation games, mobile phones, etc out of the box?

LondonTankie said:
The first time I saw one was in a lesson held in a field. The Cpl had dug a hole in the ground, covered it with a piece of plywood with a hole in camouflaged with grass, cut the bottom off the box and filled the hole with all sorts of stuff. When he pulled a rifle out we figured this out and all pissed ourselves laughing.

Deffo not amused by the corned beef hash being removed. Lions fed by donkeys.

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
Corned Beef Hash. It's beyond a joke. I'm glad it's going. What is it anyway?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MoD News 0
Le_addeur_noir The NAAFI Bar 209
BarcelonaAnalPark The NAAFI Bar 145