Improving press-up quantity with free weights: Advice.

H

Hedphelym

Werewolf said:
Hedphelym said:
I was about to start a new thread about this, but I thought I'll pop it in here to save a * about. Apologies for the hijack of your original thread, Adson...

Basically, I cannot seem to improve my max reps with pressups. I've been at them for months. Trying allsorts.
From doing 10 on the hour, everyhour. To doing as 5x sets of max pushes. Or doing multiple sets and 2-3 times during the day. And pretty much just about any pressups workouts I can think of or look up on - inluding different forms. (diamond, wide arm etc...)

I just cannot seem to break my 17-20 rep barrier. It's a bit pathetic really. I do push myself and I try very hard with them, but to no avail. I remember being able to do about 16 nearly 6 months ago, so even after this long I don't seem to be improving.
Anyone got any advice?
Many thanks
Have you tried the Hundred Push Ups Program? The link is in this Thread.
I have indeed. I found I just couldn't step my reps up week after week like that, pathetic as it sounds. In fact, a lot of the time when it came round to the 3rd/4th/5th set, I couldn't push the amount stated.

Like it says- just do the week again, and again and again. Sounds like it won't be a quick fix, but you'll get to a certain point and you won't look back- keep trying!

im on week 3 of hundred press ups and i gotta say, its fantastic! before was stuggling to get 25, now can pump out 30 easily!

Werewolf said:
Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:
FrankCastle said:
Werewolf said:
ostvic said:
Noooooooooooo! Not bodybuilding! :lol:
Seconded! Simply pointing out that "pure" strength training has the side effect of increased muscle size.

Bodybuilders...the RAF of the gym? 8O
In fairness, Chris Ryan started bodybuilding while still serving with Them, and credits the extra muscle he built up with saving his life during B20... 8)
Fair one. But bodybuilders use Split Routines; fine for them but overly-complex for a soldier who also has to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise.

Remember, muscles grow when you rest, not while you train. 5X5 Or my personal favourite(at the moment)3X3 allows you to work intensively during a relatively short session. So leaving one adequate recovery time and energy for other training, such as running.

Also, if you're on a 3-day split and for some reason you miss a workout, that means some muscles will not be directly trained that week. By contrast, if I miss one 3X3 session, I've already worked every major muscle group twice. Including 6 sets of Squats - arguably the best all-round weight training exercise. :D

One final point; big Arnold's hero was Reg Park, who used a version of the 5X5 routine to win all the major bodybuilding titles. He was also the first bodybuilder to Bench Press 500lbs. And this was before steriods were available. Park was a natural bodybuilder, albeit gifted with genetics straight out of a Marvel Comic... 8O 8)
I've heard of the 3x3 method but how does it relate in regards to assistance movements?
3x3 twice a week (push and pull/squat) with say 3 sets of 5/8 assistance movements. Or in any given session, are you just doing 9 reps and then off (excluding warm up sets).
This is my routine at the moment:

Wednesday: Squat 3X3
Bench Press 3X3
Incline Bench Press 3X3
Barbell Rows 3X3
Swiss Ball Crunches 3X60

Friday: Military Press 3X3
Squats 3X3
Pull Ups 3 Sets to Failure
Incline Press Ups 3 STF.
Swiss Ball Crunches 3X60

Sunday: Same workout as Wednesday.

Of course, everybody is different, but this works for me. :wink:
That a lot of squatting in a week (27 reps @ 90% rpm?)

Yeah, but the trick is to start light and make sure one has good form on the Squat. Then slowly build up.

The Squat is the key to the whole program, since it works the whole body, not just the legs.

I would'nt like to try the 5X5, though; I think that would take too much out of me.

Werewolf said:
Yeah, but the trick is to start light and make sure one has good form on the Squat. Then slowly build up.

The Squat is the key to the whole program, since it works the whole body, not just the legs.

I would'nt like to try the 5X5, though; I think that would take too much out of me.

Zercher deadlift

:D

Hedphelym said:
I'm more lanky than anything, would say im otherwise fit, yes.
If you're tall you might want to look at strengthening your core muscles as they could be under a bit more pressure with your height. Try 10-15 pressups, and look for a back exercise you suit ad try 10-15 of them, straight after do some situps. knock 'em out throughout the day, max out (on the pressups and situps only) at night before bed and rest the day after. I think at this stage you shouldn't look to the gym for the solution as you won't be able to go there often enough to get the 'muscle memory'. Floor and own-weight resistance throughout the day will give you a head start, then get to the gym.

Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:

Zercher deadlift

No thanks - I have a curious aversion to snapping my spine. :D

Werewolf said:
Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:

Zercher deadlift

Wimp :D

I was getting stale, so decided to try a version of one of Chris Ryan's split routines. It's working well so far. :)

Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:
Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:

Zercher deadlift

That is a vile accuracy! I resemble your remarks! :D

Werewolf said:
Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:
Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:

Zercher deadlift

That is a vile accuracy! I resemble your remarks! :D