Improving press-up quantity with free weights: Advice.

#1
Early morning; insomnias a killer, eh?.

Hoping someone could advice on what the best course of action with these would be to improve on press-ups. I am aware that the general consensus with this is the best course to improve press-ups is more press-ups, however after basically the past year of taking this approach results have stopped, and not at any grand total either; a rather pathetic thirty-five or so max.

It seems to be down to endurance in my arms. All those press-ups did plenty for my chest, but not my arms?.
Fitness is not a subject I am well versed in unfortunately as my Family are about as fitness concious as Boris Yeltsin, so not particularly aware on where to start.

I'm buggered in terms of joining the Army without making improvements, so any help is much appreciated!.

Cheers.
 
#4
Gears said:
Free weights mate, compound lifts, include deadlift, squats, bent over row, bench press

I know a hell of a lot of people who have followed the link below, its simple and great for beginners, give it a shot, improve you all over body strength, push ups will be easy

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
Seconded: 5X5 is one of the best programs out there. A lot of MMA fighters use it as well. :D
 
#5
Have a go at tricep dips aswell; it concentrates on the arms so you can focus your effort without being distracted by pressup technique and you can bang a few out throughout the day without having to go to the gym. Look it up on one of the joining-up links on the main army website (if you can lift your arms up to the keyboard for long enough to type it in) :)
 
#6
Split your eventual goal up in low rep sets to begin with.

For instance, aim for a future goal of 100 (bare with me).

Do 10 sets of 10 press-ups. When this becomes easy (could well be already) do 7 sets of 15.

If you do this 3/4 times a week, building up to 5 sets of 20, then 4 sets of 25, you can then look to do 3 sets of 30, then 3 sets of 35, 3 sets of 40, then try for 2x45, 2x50, a 55 and a 45, a 60 and a 40 etc etc.


If 35 is about your maximum at the moment, you can probbably start with the 5x20 or 7x15, do it for a week then move up to a higher rep set next week if you can.
 
#7
All the advice here is pretty sound, especially the last 2 posts there. If you really want to get into free weights, go for bench press, and perhaps tricep extensions. Those tend to help pressups. If it's forearms that are getting tired, go for pullups or deadlift. :)
 
#8
If you do want to use weights make sure you exercise your back too. Chest and back should be of equal strength to prevent injury. You may also want to mix up strength training with training for size. Bigger muscles have greater strength growth potential. ( No I'm not advocating body building!)
 
#10
ostvic said:
If you do want to use weights make sure you exercise your back too. Chest and back should be of equal strength to prevent injury. You may also want to mix up strength training with training for size. Bigger muscles have greater strength growth potential. ( No I'm not advocating body building!)
The 3X3 and 5X5 are strength training programs, but they also bulk up the trainer as well...Reg Park, one of Arnold's bodybuilding heros, used a version of the 5X5 routine. :D
 
#11
Noooooooooooo! Not bodybuilding! :lol:
 
#12
ostvic said:
Noooooooooooo! Not bodybuilding! :lol:
Seconded! Simply pointing out that "pure" strength training has the side effect of increased muscle size.

Bodybuilders...the RAF of the gym? 8O
 
#13
Werewolf said:
ostvic said:
Noooooooooooo! Not bodybuilding! :lol:
Seconded! Simply pointing out that "pure" strength training has the side effect of increased muscle size.

Bodybuilders...the RAF of the gym? 8O
In fairness, Chris Ryan started bodybuilding while still serving with Them, and credits the extra muscle he built up with saving his life during B20... 8)
 
#14
FrankCastle said:
Werewolf said:
ostvic said:
Noooooooooooo! Not bodybuilding! :lol:
Seconded! Simply pointing out that "pure" strength training has the side effect of increased muscle size.

Bodybuilders...the RAF of the gym? 8O
In fairness, Chris Ryan started bodybuilding while still serving with Them, and credits the extra muscle he built up with saving his life during B20... 8)
Fair one. But bodybuilders use Split Routines; fine for them but overly-complex for a soldier who also has to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise.

Remember, muscles grow when you rest, not while you train. 5X5 Or my personal favourite(at the moment)3X3 allows you to work intensively during a relatively short session. So leaving one adequate recovery time and energy for other training, such as running.

Also, if you're on a 3-day split and for some reason you miss a workout, that means some muscles will not be directly trained that week. By contrast, if I miss one 3X3 session, I've already worked every major muscle group twice. Including 6 sets of Squats - arguably the best all-round weight training exercise. :D

One final point; big Arnold's hero was Reg Park, who used a version of the 5X5 routine to win all the major bodybuilding titles. He was also the first bodybuilder to Bench Press 500lbs. And this was before steriods were available. Park was a natural bodybuilder, albeit gifted with genetics straight out of a Marvel Comic... 8O 8)
 
#15
Werewolf said:
FrankCastle said:
Werewolf said:
ostvic said:
Noooooooooooo! Not bodybuilding! :lol:
Seconded! Simply pointing out that "pure" strength training has the side effect of increased muscle size.

Bodybuilders...the RAF of the gym? 8O
In fairness, Chris Ryan started bodybuilding while still serving with Them, and credits the extra muscle he built up with saving his life during B20... 8)
Fair one. But bodybuilders use Split Routines; fine for them but overly-complex for a soldier who also has to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise.

Remember, muscles grow when you rest, not while you train. 5X5 Or my personal favourite(at the moment)3X3 allows you to work intensively during a relatively short session. So leaving one adequate recovery time and energy for other training, such as running.

Also, if you're on a 3-day split and for some reason you miss a workout, that means some muscles will not be directly trained that week. By contrast, if I miss one 3X3 session, I've already worked every major muscle group twice. Including 6 sets of Squats - arguably the best all-round weight training exercise. :D

One final point; big Arnold's hero was Reg Park, who used a version of the 5X5 routine to win all the major bodybuilding titles. He was also the first bodybuilder to Bench Press 500lbs. And this was before steriods were available. Park was a natural bodybuilder, albeit gifted with genetics straight out of a Marvel Comic... 8O 8)
I've heard of the 3x3 method but how does it relate in regards to assistance movements?
3x3 twice a week (push and pull/squat) with say 3 sets of 5/8 assistance movements. Or in any given session, are you just doing 9 reps and then off (excluding warm up sets).
 
#16
Ian1983 said:
Werewolf said:
FrankCastle said:
Werewolf said:
ostvic said:
Noooooooooooo! Not bodybuilding! :lol:
Seconded! Simply pointing out that "pure" strength training has the side effect of increased muscle size.

Bodybuilders...the RAF of the gym? 8O
In fairness, Chris Ryan started bodybuilding while still serving with Them, and credits the extra muscle he built up with saving his life during B20... 8)
Fair one. But bodybuilders use Split Routines; fine for them but overly-complex for a soldier who also has to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise.

Remember, muscles grow when you rest, not while you train. 5X5 Or my personal favourite(at the moment)3X3 allows you to work intensively during a relatively short session. So leaving one adequate recovery time and energy for other training, such as running.

Also, if you're on a 3-day split and for some reason you miss a workout, that means some muscles will not be directly trained that week. By contrast, if I miss one 3X3 session, I've already worked every major muscle group twice. Including 6 sets of Squats - arguably the best all-round weight training exercise. :D

One final point; big Arnold's hero was Reg Park, who used a version of the 5X5 routine to win all the major bodybuilding titles. He was also the first bodybuilder to Bench Press 500lbs. And this was before steriods were available. Park was a natural bodybuilder, albeit gifted with genetics straight out of a Marvel Comic... 8O 8)
I've heard of the 3x3 method but how does it relate in regards to assistance movements?
3x3 twice a week (push and pull/squat) with say 3 sets of 5/8 assistance movements. Or in any given session, are you just doing 9 reps and then off (excluding warm up sets).
This is my routine at the moment:

Wednesday: Squat 3X3
Bench Press 3X3
Incline Bench Press 3X3
Barbell Rows 3X3
Swiss Ball Crunches 3X60

Friday: Military Press 3X3
Squats 3X3
Pull Ups 3 Sets to Failure
Incline Press Ups 3 STF.
Swiss Ball Crunches 3X60

Sunday: Same workout as Wednesday.

Of course, everybody is different, but this works for me. :wink:
 
H

Hedphelym

Guest
#17
I was about to start a new thread about this, but I thought I'll pop it in here to save a **** about. Apologies for the hijack of your original thread, Adson...

Basically, I cannot seem to improve my max reps with pressups. I've been at them for months. Trying allsorts.
From doing 10 on the hour, everyhour. To doing as 5x sets of max pushes. Or doing multiple sets and 2-3 times during the day. And pretty much just about any pressups workouts I can think of or look up on - inluding different forms. (diamond, wide arm etc...)

I just cannot seem to break my 17-20 rep barrier. It's a bit pathetic really. I do push myself and I try very hard with them, but to no avail. I remember being able to do about 16 nearly 6 months ago, so even after this long I don't seem to be improving.
Anyone got any advice?
Many thanks
 
#18
Hedphelym said:
I was about to start a new thread about this, but I thought I'll pop it in here to save a * about. Apologies for the hijack of your original thread, Adson...

Basically, I cannot seem to improve my max reps with pressups. I've been at them for months. Trying allsorts.
From doing 10 on the hour, everyhour. To doing as 5x sets of max pushes. Or doing multiple sets and 2-3 times during the day. And pretty much just about any pressups workouts I can think of or look up on - inluding different forms. (diamond, wide arm etc...)

I just cannot seem to break my 17-20 rep barrier. It's a bit pathetic really. I do push myself and I try very hard with them, but to no avail. I remember being able to do about 16 nearly 6 months ago, so even after this long I don't seem to be improving.
Anyone got any advice?
Many thanks
Not being rude, but are you carrying a few extra pounds or are you otherwise pretty fit?
 
#19
Hedphelym said:
I was about to start a new thread about this, but I thought I'll pop it in here to save a * about. Apologies for the hijack of your original thread, Adson...

Basically, I cannot seem to improve my max reps with pressups. I've been at them for months. Trying allsorts.
From doing 10 on the hour, everyhour. To doing as 5x sets of max pushes. Or doing multiple sets and 2-3 times during the day. And pretty much just about any pressups workouts I can think of or look up on - inluding different forms. (diamond, wide arm etc...)

I just cannot seem to break my 17-20 rep barrier. It's a bit pathetic really. I do push myself and I try very hard with them, but to no avail. I remember being able to do about 16 nearly 6 months ago, so even after this long I don't seem to be improving.
Anyone got any advice?
Many thanks
Have you tried the Hundred Push Ups Program? The link is in this Thread.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top