Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving national resilience

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m always astonished how ppl (de)prioritise their health over other commodities/expenditure. A private appointment for routine dental check up costs less than a decent lunch for two.
My retired father in law was (pre-covid) was whining about having to wait months for a routine operation. Given he has about £200k cash at bank I suggested to paid for his treatment...he was astonished that when he threw money at the problem he was seen within a week.

I get that you shouldn’t have to pay twice, but you also get what you up at for

Indeed a neighbour along from me had a dodgy kidney removed privately for less than it would cost for 2 dental implants and a subsequent bridge

Yokel

LE
In the words of the Secretary General of NATO:

We are also bolstering the resilience of our critical infrastructure — power grids, ports, airports, roads, railways and telecommunication systems, including 5G. And NATO will continue to strengthen our resilience requirements, encouraging allies to conduct thorough risk and vulnerability assessments, including to map foreign ownership, control or direct investment.

Yokel

LE
Last edited:
We need local volunteers to catch the anti vaxxers and physically restrain them whilst they are jabbed. It is for there own good. We need a catchy name - perhaps 'grab and jab'?

Where do I volunteer?
THEIR....FFS

Yokel

LE
THEIR....FFS

Well done - glad to see that you are paying attention! That is something that needs to be improved throughout management in both public and private sectors - attention to detail. As the saying reminds us, the devil is in the detail.

Similarly spelt words can have opposite means - such as Hypothermia and Hyperthermia.

We need local volunteers to catch the anti vaxxers and physically restrain them whilst they are jabbed. It is for their own good. We need a catchy name - perhaps 'grab and jab'?

Where do I volunteer?

That would be aggravated assault at the very least; there is no law in the UK to compel an otherwise compos mentis adult to take an inoculation.

That would be aggravated assault at the very least; there is no law in the UK to compel an otherwise compos mentis adult to take an inoculation.
However steps can be put in place to make it very difficult if you haven't been vaccinated, and can already be seen in the travel industry where some airlines will not take you unless you have been vaccinated. I can also see this as a condition of any travel insurance.

However steps can be put in place to make it very difficult if you haven't been vaccinated, and can already be seen in the travel industry where some airlines will not take you unless you have been vaccinated. I can also see this as a condition of any travel insurance.
Are we going to issue vaccination certificates for covid jabs, I remember we used to for things like yellow fever and cholera. I see a slightly illegal business opportunity for some.

Are we going to issue vaccination certificates for covid jabs, I remember we used to for things like yellow fever and cholera. I see a slightly illegal business opportunity for some.
I thought you were issued a card on the 2nd jab and there are already fakes on the interwebby.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There needs to be some social pressure of some description.

If social is also economic, then so be it.

One could also point out that many of those working in the social care sector aren't exactly at the top of the intellectual tree and probably need some encouragement beyond the science on Facebook.

One could also point out that many of those working in the social care sector aren't exactly at the top of the intellectual tree and probably need some encouragement beyond the science on Facebook.

Two possible outcomes?
1 Your social media campaign strengthens their mindset that Big Brother is out to get them
2 Publicly shaming an entire section of key workers is guaranteed to end badly

Mattb

LE
We need local volunteers to catch the anti vaxxers and physically restrain them whilst they are jabbed. It is for their own good. We need a catchy name - perhaps 'grab and jab'?

Where do I volunteer?
I was thinking more modified tranquilliser guns and a hit list.

The thing is, if you restrict peoples ability to travel then they will have the jab. Imagine trying to book a hotel and you don't have the jab, or booking a cruise or flight as that is what is going to happen. You take the prospect for Sharon and Tracey not to spend their 2 weeks on the Costa, then you will see a massive uptake among the anti-vaxers.

Where do I volunteer?

running down the street with a giant syringe?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Two possible outcomes?
1 Your social media campaign strengthens their mindset that Big Brother is out to get them
2 Publicly shaming an entire section of key workers is guaranteed to end badly
1. Serving their confirmation bias is rather less important than getting people vaccinated.
2. An entire section of key workers who, according to the front pages last week, have been savagely let down by the government. Böllocks. Classic case of wanting it both ways. The same people who were whinging about a lack of PPE are now claiming invincibility.

Where do I volunteer?
There are a few spare fishing nets knocking around at the moment (allegedly) - they could be re-purposed.

1. Serving their confirmation bias is rather less important than getting people vaccinated.
2. An entire section of key workers who, according to the front pages last week, have been savagely let down by the government. Böllocks. Classic case of wanting it both ways. The same people who were whinging about a lack of PPE are now claiming invincibility.

Ref point 1, how would you propose to dismantle confirmation bias without ruffling feathers ?

Point 2, agreed

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Ref point 1, how would you propose to dismantle confirmation bias without ruffling feathers ?

Point 2, agreed
Some years ago, I was involved in the public information campaign that had to persuade a large population that the movement its A&E facilities was possible without compromising safety.

The method was simple messages and having a stock of simple, robust responses ready to any of the questions expected to arise - these aren't too hard to predict, incidentally.*

In this case, if I were the government, I'd also be ringing around the main media and telling them to get their shít in gear and get behind the public service remit or face consequences.

Frankly, the pursuit of 'gotcha' moments by the traditional media has become tiresome. But I'd also be telling the new media that perpetuating some of the dangerous nonsense is something that they will be held accountable for.

Said media are quick enough to be all over stuff which doesn't suit their political tastes, so policing is possible.

*In this case:
Is the vaccine harmful?
Does it contain any products that might compromise my personal beliefs?**
Why do I need this vaccine now - what has changed?

In order:
No.
No - neither meat products nor 5G 'chips'.
Because the virus has mutated and everyone is susceptible to it.

**Note that there will always be outright moon-howlers, who in the end just have to be told get the jab or be cast out of society.

Latest Threads