Improving national resilience

Yokel

LE
Today's Global Britain in a competitive age paper by HM Government has addressed resilience:

Page 11

At the heart of the Integrated Review is an increased commitment to security and resilience, so that the British people are protected against threats. This starts at home, by defending our people, territory, critical national infrastructure (CNI), democratic institutions and way of life – and by reducing our vulnerability to the threat from states, terrorism and serious and organised crime (SOC).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Today's Global Britain in a competitive age paper by HM Government has addressed resilience:

Page 11

At the heart of the Integrated Review is an increased commitment to security and resilience, so that the British people are protected against threats. This starts at home, by defending our people, territory, critical national infrastructure (CNI), democratic institutions and way of life – and by reducing our vulnerability to the threat from states, terrorism and serious and organised crime (SOC).

Not so much addressed as mentioned it with a lot of other modern buzzwords

I think UK should start to manufacture silicone chips, surely there still some capable engineers to build the tooling?

Seems that these are now critical in many applications, there is a world shortage and a reliance on these where there is no competition outside the far east. We completely fooked up letting this technology go.

Should be a CNI investment before it gets too far ahead if it hasnt already.

Yokel

LE
I think UK should start to manufacture silicone chips, surely there still some capable engineers to build the tooling?

Seems that these are now critical in many applications, there is a world shortage and a reliance on these where there is no competition outside the far east. We completely fooked up letting this technology go.

Should be a CNI investment before it gets too far ahead if it hasnt already.

There is a thread dedicated to the issue of keeping control of key technologies in the Ecomics forum. I was pleased to see that the issue was at least mentioned.

BTW Sillicone is used as a sealant and for plastic breasts. Silicon is the semiconductor.

Zhopa

War Hero
BTW Sillicone is used as a sealant and for plastic breasts. Silicon is the semiconductor.

And a sillic*n* is someone who mixes up the two?

There is a thread dedicated to the issue of keeping control of key technologies in the Ecomics forum. I was pleased to see that the issue was at least mentioned.

Yeah I was talking about the importance of plastic t1ts....umm, yeah, critical infrastructure obviously

Yeah I was talking about the importance of plastic t1ts....umm, yeah, critical infrastructure obviously
In the pre-high-tech era, the Spanish had to make them out of cheese.

Queso-de-tetilla.jpg

Yokel

LE
Different countries have different perspectives, however:

Continuing to modernise, test and improve the Total Defence Concept to address complex 21st-century threats: This includes continuing to update and bolster legal and practical mechanisms for enhancing Norwegian societal resilience, as well as the capacity and capabilities of civil support to the military. Allied officials also noted the potential new challenges around securing critical national infrastructure (CNI) in an increasingly digital Norwegian society (e.g. reliant on data centres, satellites and undersea cables); as well as addressing potential issues associated with private or foreign ownership of certain infrastructure nodes or strategically important aspects of the defence supply chain (e.g. affecting security of supply for key components, materials or enabling technologies). Cybersecurity and information operations also pose new challenges to the function of the Total Defence Concept, as well as the underlying integrity of data for situational awareness and coordination, or the wider public trust in government. Demographic, social and economic changes also pose new questions about Norway’s ability to access and retain the necessary mix of people and skills in future, both within the regular Armed Forces, in the Home Guard and across civilian organisations. Finally, Allied officials also perceive a need for Norway to promote improved coordination among NATO Allies on total defence issues, including the continued sharing of best practices to enhance collective – not just national – resilience.

From this RAND paper regarding Norway.

Latest Threads