Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving national resilience

Yokel

LE
During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, problems with the supply chain for PPE and medical equipment have caused concern. Additionally the NHS has been shown to have a lack of spare capacity, and the public has been the target of disinformation from regimes that do not wish as well, as well as home grown loonies. How can we increase resilience? In particular:

Self reliance
Public safety
Responsible media
Government - national and local
The political system
Utilities and Infrastructure
Supply Chain
Food and energy supplies
Emergency services
Healthcare
Important manufacturing - which I define as including (but not limited to) defence, civil aerospace, civil marine, telecommunications, medical, and industrial machinery, and components for them - see this thread.

I'll kick off with a few.

Self Reliance: People are handed everything nowadays, no hardship in life, to the extent that most don't even have to think any further than what they are going to have for dinner that night. The 1950's was probably the last period when people had to scratch a living and make do with whatever life threw at them.

Responsible media: They simply report what they see, sadly with social media and the fringe nutters porkys can very quickly be accepted as fact. Legislation with prison time attached for spreading porkys should be introduced. My mate Stalin came up with that one.

The political system: It is what it is, if you don't like it go and get yourself elected and change it. A bunch of self interested, self promoting twats lining their own pockets.

Supply chain: It holds maximum of 5 days worth of anything and everything in the UK. The country is an island and most things are constantly being imported.

Food and energy supplies: Food supplies is the same as supply chain, there is only 5 days worth in the country at any one time. The government got rid of all the emergency grain supplies years ago. As for energy, well the country was fcuked once they started to buy gas from Russia.

Emergency services: Cutbacks, upon cutbacks, upon cutbacks. Volunteer firemen, volunteer police officers, PCSO's and the like, all because there is no money to pay for full-time professionals.

Healthcare: The NHS is good, don't knock it. I see the free market US system and I spent time being trained in a UK hospital, having seen both I prefer the NHS approach. It could do with some investment, but it does bloody well.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Important manufacturing

If the UK needs it - The UK should be making / producing it.

Healthcare ( NHS ) / All Public Services / Emergency Services / Utilities ( Gas, water & Elec ) Should be in the hands of Government or UK Companies

Media - We have a media watchdog. Perhaps the time is right to take it's muzzle off and let it show it's teeth.

Public safety - Take the straightjacket off the frontline police and build prisons, lots of them. Cannot act like a responsible member of the public, do not expect to be a member of the public.

Self reliance - Good luck with that. 40 years of hand wringing, liberal lefties have left large swathes of people unable to wire a plug or feed themselves a decent meal.

Politics - An event has just occurred that will ensure Politics should change for the better. It will not be an overnight change but a slow process, heading in the right direction. The '' get out of jail free '' card has just been taken away. Politico's of all Parties now need to get their act in gear.

Making the Food Supply Chain more resilient would cost large amounts of money, since it would pretty much have to be rebuilt from the ground up. So that's not going to happen.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
From my own experience I would say that we need a culture shift rather than too much material change.

It appears that the current culture is very much "We're doomed"

All problems are initially met with a "We can't fix his because" rather than a " we need to do X to make this work"

I think that this is due to self reliance and media.

We are bombarded with negative stories, this has created a hugely risk averse nature, especially in many elements of management (particularly within NHS)

I know way too many staff who are now terrified to go to work for a number of reasons, lack of trust in PPE (fuelled by MSM and social Media), a fear that they will be become catch covid, be asymptomatic and spread it to patients and family this has paralysed the restarting of many health services where the risk assessments are long and arduous (in terms of bureaucracy)

If the pandemic has shown one thing, is that the response would have been better coordinated if we just do away with devolved assemblies

They were really an EU idea anyway

From my own experience I would say that we need a culture shift rather than too much material change.

All problems are initially met with a "We can't fix his because" rather than a " we need to do X to make this work"

We are bombarded with negative stories, this has created a hugely risk averse nature, especially in many elements of management (particularly within NHS)

I know way too many staff who are now terrified to go to work for a number of reasons, lack of trust in PPE (fuelled by MSM and social Media), a fear that they will be become catch covid, be asymptomatic and spread it to patients and family this has paralysed the restarting of many health services where the risk assessments are long and arduous (in terms of bureaucracy)
I would agree entirely. We live in an adversarial society where it is seen as the role of politicians to find and attack any weakness in their opposition, and it is the role of the media to find and attack any weakness in Government (at all levels). This is replicated in some private sector companies too, where managers are encouraged to “fight their corner”.

Regarding nationalisation, I‘m sure bugsy is delighted to see people coming over to his view that the means of production should be seized comrades.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No, just the moving of stuff from A to B. The present system is a shambles.

As somebody who has been told that they can't open one of their clinics for lack of a mop bucket*, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

*which has been ordered at least twice but never arrived.**

** apparently use of a non issued buckets would be a breach of H&S

As somebody who has been told that they can't open one of their clinics for lack of a mop bucket*, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

*which has been ordered at least twice but never arrived.**

** apparently use of a non issued buckets would be a breach of H&S
The issued bucket has no doubt been “qualified” and shown to meet all the specifications issued by the technical board.

There's one very easy way to solve most of that, call it the Macro Solution - reduce the number of people in the country, especially the freeloading ones.

Then apply the Pareto Principle to everything else. Stop over complicating absolutely everything.

What’s the point? Without a pressing reason it would be too costly to improve and then maintain. It’s almost like saying that we need to improve the base level of common sense, it isn’t going to happen. Besides what would we have to counter about?

Manufacturing: We still excel in some areas and are woeful in others, skill sets have been lost or are dying out with great speed. This needs to be addressed and then you are 5 years away from having the skill set at a "Master" standard.

Supply Chain: The EU is not the only area we can get goods from, the sooner we stop thinking that the better. We once had the best import/export in the World again it will need infrastructure and skilled personnel. The UK Government Supply Chain needs streamlining. This could be done with central hubs and procurement, get rid of this MOD/NHS/CS empire building, if you are a Government organisation and it is a common item, you go through the hubs, single procurement point means better buying power.

Self Reliance: Difficult when you have had 3-4 generations ever dependent on a more generous benefits system. People expect to be told by Government how to do each point in their lives instead of the Government issuing guidelines and people applying commonsense.

Food Chain: Same as Supply Chain to some extent, but consumers can help here by buying British goods instead of imported food, this would lead to more farmers growing more in the UK.

Public Safety: Investment in Police still needs to be more, less focusing on vanity projects overseas and more spent in the UK, even then it will be 5 years before you see any benefit.

Yokel

LE
What’s the point? Without a pressing reason it would be too costly to improve and then maintain. It’s almost like saying that we need to improve the base level of common sense, it isn’t going to happen. Besides what would we have to counter about?

Off the top of my head, we need to face:

Pandemics
Other public health events
Weather events
Industrial and Transport Accidents
Technological failure on a wide scale
Cyber attack
Terrorism
Hostile action by states or non state actors
Riots

Self reliance - Good luck with that. 40 years of hand wringing, liberal lefties have left large swathes of people unable to wire a plug or feed themselves a decent meal.

I cannot make a decent meal - edible, but decent? As for plugs - everything comes with a moulded plug these days. Hopefully this will stop people putting the wrong fuse in. However, I do agree with your more general point. I am sure that I have mentioned see the presentation I saw on how the Jews were made passive by the Nazis - part of this was that the ones in Western Europe did not do practical work.

Aside from skills, are people losing the instinct to do things for themselves?

Bingo! The negativity and unwillingness to try things mean that problems are no longer seen as challenges, but as immovable barriers.

The country has filled itself with self entitled pieces of shit. “You can’t do that, you can’t say this, I’m offended by that, you can’t make me do this, you have to give me this, you have to do that for me”.
Get rid of that disgusting culture and it’s a start