• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Improving 2.4km run time aged over thirty

I've had a dig through the forums and there are plenty of 2.4km run time threads on the go. I've tried implementing some of the advice but am not getting great results.

I'm 32 and I would estimate my aerobic fitness to be below average. I can just about trundle around a 5km run in 30 min and my 2.4km time would about 14.5 min.

I didn't start trying to get a bit fitter until recently so I don't have a great baseline of natural fitness. I wasn't overweight in my twenties or anything but I certainly wasn't active.

I am trying to use interval training and to build up my stamina and speed but I am hitting a wall and can't make the gains expected. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice here as I'm sure people have turned up to phase one training at the same age as myself with the same level of fitness.

I'm willing to put the hours and the effort in but just looking for some advice. Thanks!

I've had a dig through the forums and there are plenty of 2.4km run time threads on the go. I've tried implementing some of the advice but am not getting great results.

I'm 32 and I would estimate my aerobic fitness to be below average. I can just about trundle around a 5km run in 30 min and my 2.4km time would about 14.5 min.

I didn't start trying to get a bit fitter until recently so I don't have a great baseline of natural fitness. I wasn't overweight in my twenties or anything but I certainly wasn't active.

I am trying to use interval training and to build up my stamina and speed but I am hitting a wall and can't make the gains expected. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice here as I'm sure people have turned up to phase one training at the same age as myself with the same level of fitness.

I'm willing to put the hours and the effort in but just looking for some advice. Thanks!
Try using a running machine and build up very gradually. Start running 5km at 9 km a hour (which is slower than your 5 km in 30 minutes) then up it to 9.1, 9.2 9.3 etc over time. If you have the stamina, try a best effort in the last 30 seconds or 200 metres.
You generally wont notice such a increase in speed (which is why you start out slower than your pace now) after 4 weeks (4 X 5 working days) your speed should be 11km an hour (1km faster than you are running now) then just keep increasing it by 0.1.
Running on a machine is not a proper substitute for running outside but its helpful to run a constant measurable pace until you are a lot quicker.

For the hell of it, I did a half marathon in Feb. Did a 12 week plan. What I found, and it was great, that when I started hitting the longer distances, I was PBing 5km during the runs without even thinking about it.

I've never particularly enjoyed running and a bit of a plodder but got my 5km down to just over 25 mins as part of a longer run, I've not actually tried to kill it on a specific run.

Get the miles in the legs. You'll get better at the shorter distances but also boost your general stamina and endurance which is only a good thing.

8 milers seemed to be my sweet spot.

Sprints, hill reps, HIIT and take a day you would normally run and do leg conditioning, i.e. squats and lunges etc, the stronger your legs the faster you will run. I am 32 and comfortably running a 9.45 with only 1 run and a circuit session a week. At 26 I was scraping a 10.30 running 3-4 times a week then focused on strength and sprints and this came down to a 9.25PB.

TAXI!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to build myself up to a baseline from where I can kick off some more intense training. Taking a few weeks to build up on the treadmill could be the right approach. It's definitely a combination of lacking stamina for the long distances but also CV.

I'm going to investigate HIIT and tabatta - if it's only 15 min, I might be able to combine that with the running.

I don't actually mind walking, jogging, running myself - I work in an office all day so it's a great way to clear the head!

Sprints, hill reps, HIIT and take a day you would normally run and do leg conditioning, i.e. squats and lunges etc, the stronger your legs the faster you will run. I am 32 and comfortably running a 9.45 with only 1 run and a circuit session a week. At 26 I was scraping a 10.30 running 3-4 times a week then focused on strength and sprints and this came down to a 9.25PB.
That's encouraging. If I could get to the end of this year and be sub 10.30, I'd be very happy.

Cutting down on the beer and watching the diet too which should help.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to build myself up to a baseline from where I can kick off some more intense training. Taking a few weeks to build up on the treadmill could be the right approach. It's definitely a combination of lacking stamina for the long distances but also CV.

I'm going to investigate HIT and tabatta - if it's only 15 min, I might be able to combine that with the running.

I don't actually mind walking, jogging, running myself - I work in an office all day so it's a great way to clear the head!
Find an easily defined 50m. Sprint, end to end, 5x. As fast as you can.

30 second rest.

Go again. Start with three reps, then build up.

Stamina will come.

Cutting down on the beer and watching the diet too which should help.
Be careful you're not underdoing it. You need to fuel your body properly or you'll flake. Make sure you eat something shortly before you train. A banana is ideal.

Also consider water, sleep and work on pushing yourself mentally.

Tabatas for the win. Purists will argue, but I find a treadmill best for them...it's much easier to push yourself to to stay at pace when the alternative is landing on your arrse :D

Tabatas for the win. Purists will argue, but I find a treadmill best for them...it's much easier to push yourself to to stay at pace when the alternative is landing on your arrse :D
I find the problem with a treadmill tabata is that it takes too long to crank up (and down) the pace.