Impossible, indispensable France

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PsyCop, Dec 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Near identical clout? Yes - as they have had often in the past. Generally a smaller navy but a bigger army - as is appropriate for a land power. Until very recently, somewhat less than willing to use anything other than La Legion, though.

Of course, the other issue is how effective they are.

2. The way things are going we will be equal to the Belgian Congo in military power.

3. Think you had that wrong, as it is Friday no charge

4. I stand corrected. I'm obliged to you sir.

• Like Like x 1
  5. We once had a summer camp in France. Nice place. However the barracks we where staying in very basic. Not sure if they had conscription in France at that time think they did. Straw palliasse and cold water wash only. Very old world. Made Gaza Lines at Catterick seem like 4 star hotel well maybe not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. France might have been a military equivalent 20 odd years ago.

7. The French have the ability to project air power (via their carrier) anywhere in the world. In that respect they are a full division above the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Look we have an MOD staffed by people who think the Franco-Prussian war was a part of the Spanish civil war. Be wary of analysis therefrom.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sounds like Sennelager in the '60s!

10. Thank god for the French Army

Winston Churchill, 1933

11. Yes, the Charles de Gaulle..............when they can take it out without it breaking down, their other one, Clemenceau is busy being remodeled into razor blades in UK, seems that like us they are downsizing their fleet, or so I,m informed.

12. I believe that Mr Cameron has ensured that the French navy is now bigger and more powerful than the Royal Navy.

13. I take it he was rounding off one of his speeches with a joke?

14. fixed it! ^_~