importing bits of guns

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Jubbles, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I have a friend in america who's mosin has kicked the bucket with its barrel worn out and the trigger messed up, he doesnt want it and i want whats left of it for spares for my own and because I dont have all the things he has eg. stripper clips

    would it be lawful for him to post me in a package, the stock, trigger mechanism, stripper clips, bayonet, sling foresight, rear sight

    but NOT the receiver or the barrel

    Is this all A ok?
  2. You would be charged with "Piece of the Breech" if caught
  3. 4(T) will know better than I but the trigger mech (and possibly other bits) may be controlled on his side of the pond.

    All those bits are uncontrolled here.
  4. ???
  5. Shoud'n't be a prob - unless an arrschloch customs bod decides to go against the standard definition from case law of a firearm part being a pressure-bearing component. Broadest definition leads to generic screws, springs & stocks being controlled parts, but the case-law says otherwise, and Customs/Home Orifice normally lose any cases they bring anyway.

    Just get your mate to mark the package up as "machine parts" (a rifle's a machine, innit?), or "antique parts". Get him to get creative but NOT LIE.
  6. is there a site where I can comfirm the legality of it?
  7. Biped

    Biped LE Book Reviewer

    Oh come come! Breach of the Peace? Keep up boy, keep up! :wink:
  8. You can legally import any of the non-pressure bearing parts. You may, of course, get hammered for import duty, VAT and that nice little Parcelforce "admin fee"....

    If you have an FAC with appropriate "authorised to acquire" slots, you can freely import pressure-bearing parts or even a complete firearm. Whether the parcel turns up your doorstep or you have to collect from a parcelforce depot, you just need to liaise with your Police firearms department as to how you should enter the items on your FAC.

    If you are a private person importing parts for your own use, you do not need an import licence. If you are a dealer or intend to import large volumes, then you need to go to the (whatever the DTI is called this week) and obtain an import licence.

    Be aware that all parcels containing firearms components are (usually) detected, so best to keep copies of correspondence, etc, handy in case you get a knock on the door by an HMRC inspector (these guys are charged with tracking who imports what and where it goes).
  9. I have an FAC for the weapon but already have one, im not paying for it so vat should be an issue right?

    so basicly no problems whatsoever in doing it
  10. Off topic, but shocked to hear a Mosin went tits up, thought you could pull them out of the dirt in Ukraine and shoot them.
  11. If the vendor declares the value at "nil" on the customs label, you may find that HMRC charge duty on a deemed value. Unfortunately a lot of people got overseas mail order vendors to write nil value or "gift", and thus HMRC tends to make up their own minds.....
  12. Yes. But it can still go wrong because everybody is paranoid about 'eeeevil guns' and you'll probably be put on a database somewhere as a potential murdering paedophile. Best to find a UK importer and pay his inflated prices to avoid all the hassle from the feds
  13. err... no.

    The only concern I would have is that your friend in the US may fall foul of Federal law because he ought to have an Export licence (Or license in his case ;) )
  14. Bearing in mind I had a firearms response team raid my flat (I was out, sorry darling) when customs picked up Pachwey(? Can't remember) Browning grips trough the post from the US.

    “Where is the gun?! WHERE IS THE GUN?!”

    Two lumps of rubber.

    Drunken online shopping, don't do it.

    FAC must make all the difference...