Importing .22 rf blank cartridges to Oz?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ugly, Apr 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok folks a quick q for the arssers down under. I am legally (exempt from prohibition and licensing) shipping a dummy launcher for dog training to a customer in Oz and despite wading through thec miles of prohibited items on the Au GovWebsite I cant seem to find if .22 rimfire blanks for dummy launchers are prohibited or controlled in any way and will the buyer need some sort of liceense to collect so I dont waste his money shipping them all the way there for them to end up as evidence in a court case!

2. firearms and weapons
    I'd give send them an eamil personally: Futher information can be obtained from the Customs Information and Support Centre via email at information@customs.gov.au or by calling 1300 363 263

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingAmmoMags.pdf

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Doesn't actually exclude blanks so should assume prohibited. I wanted an answer for monday which is why I hadn't e mailed Oz Customs! Hopefully my stalling e mail to the client will stir him into action and he will get the local answers from his end! I suspect we appear cheap as we don't show prices other than domestic UK and here we have almost no restrictions on launchers!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I cracked and sent an email asking them, I dont suppose I will get a straight answer from a country that banned so much just because they could rather than any logical reason.
    I have heard that the blanks are banned in or near any habitations and they also banned airguns and airsoft. Strange blokes these Aussies!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What got me thinking about their rules was the following;
    "Components of ammunition include projectiles, cartridge
    casings, whether new or spent, and primers designed or adapted
    for use in ammunition are also controlled under the Regulations
    and require permission to import prior to importation.
    Police Certification"
    Now components of ammunition ok agreed but if launcher blanks are classed as ammunition in Oz then thats ok but it almost reads to me as ammunition or components for use in controlled weapons especially when you dig through the meanings of the rest of it.
    But as you said e mail sent!
    If its still cheaper too buy from me than locally and worth whatever hassle there is in Aus to get the blanks then good on him for emailing the enquiry in the first place!

6. I know, even we haven't banned air soft :) yet, that is .....

7. I know, taking its logical conclusion though, cases are controlled; so a case with a primer in the rim and powder therein isn't? Dunno, it would seem daft but that is a recurring theme on firearms legislation

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well not so much banned as put them on the import list as requiring licensing! Good as banning general public from having them isnt it!

9. Pretty much. The Aussie states all do their own thing:

Imagine if Essex and Sussex was different to Kent and trying to move your licensed air soft from one to the other :roll:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You know its not far off that when moving rfd business or if you stalk and you move to another county!

11. Yeah, I know. You have to reapply and pay the RFD grant fee because of the way the legislation is worded. Another amendment all agree on but sat with the HO :roll:

Not sure what you mean by stalking though as that would be a straight transfer of FAC

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Some forces have arbritary rules on usage and amounts of weapons and ammo which lack basis in law and tend only to be challenged when shooters move areas!

13. please take note that all the queensland laws and registrations are different to any where else in Aus, and sometimes differ from town to town especially west of the darling downs, lots of local sheriffs use their own interpretation of the law,so best of luck with your import enquiries

14. Really? I'd challenge that. After all, if Kent said I could have ten firearms, what right do Cumbria have to say I can't? I'd expect to be questionned on what firearms I had if I moved and what my 'good reason' for them was as Police can revoke on 'good reason' but legally they have to issue my certificate as it stands and then make a decision after discussing with me what my 'good reason' was. If they revoked, I'd subpoena the licensing manager from my previous Force.

Is this scare mongering from some shooting organisations or is there a source?

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

West mids had an arbritary 10 weapons pre 97 before you needed a monitored alarm. The law just requires you to secure the stuff. It doesnt set limits. I know at the time I had about 40 all in and whilst working up in the mids the lads I shot with said they wouldnt allow me to keep them if I moved. I said Staffs isnt a problem!
    In fact Sussex doesnt always require some conditions for RFDs that apply to cert holders in some other counties! I cant really say more but its not a level playing field!