Importing .22 rf blank cartridges to Oz?

ugly

LE
Ok folks a quick q for the arssers down under. I am legally (exempt from prohibition and licensing) shipping a dummy launcher for dog training to a customer in Oz and despite wading through thec miles of prohibited items on the Au GovWebsite I cant seem to find if .22 rimfire blanks for dummy launchers are prohibited or controlled in any way and will the buyer need some sort of liceense to collect so I dont waste his money shipping them all the way there for them to end up as evidence in a court case!

Ok folks a quick q for the arssers down under. I am legally (exempt from prohibition and licensing) shipping a dummy launcher for dog training to a customer in Oz and despite wading through thec miles of prohibited items on the Au GovWebsite I cant seem to find if .22 rimfire blanks for dummy launchers are prohibited or controlled in any way and will the buyer need some sort of liceense to collect so I dont waste his money shipping them all the way there for them to end up as evidence in a court case!
firearms and weapons
Items that are NOT subject to control
hand-operated devices that use blank cartridges to propel objects for retrieval in connection with the training of dogs
Items that ARE or MAY BE subject to control
ammunition; parts; accessories; components; ............... inert grenades; ammunition; trench art; shell casings;
I'd give send them an eamil personally: Futher information can be obtained from the Customs Information and Support Centre via email at information@customs.gov.au or by calling 1300 363 263

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingAmmoMags.pdf
Ammunition and Components of Ammunition

To import ammunition and components of ammunition into
Australia, importers must first obtain written certification from the
police firearms or weapons registry in their State or Territory, the
Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department, or the Minister
for Home Affairs prior to importation.

Ammunition for use with firearms, also known as rounds, bullets,
and cartridges, is controlled under the Regulations. This includes
ammunition for paintball markers, soft air (BB) pellets as well as
ball or shot projectiles for muzzle-loading firearms.
Components of ammunition include projectiles, cartridge
casings, whether new or spent
, and primers designed or adapted
for use in ammunition are also controlled under the Regulations
and require permission to import prior to importation.
Police Certification

To import general purpose ammunition and components into
Australia, the police certification will be in the form of a B709A
Importation of Firearms – Police Confirmation and Certification
Form (B709A Form).

ugly

LE
Doesn't actually exclude blanks so should assume prohibited. I wanted an answer for monday which is why I hadn't e mailed Oz Customs! Hopefully my stalling e mail to the client will stir him into action and he will get the local answers from his end! I suspect we appear cheap as we don't show prices other than domestic UK and here we have almost no restrictions on launchers!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
I cracked and sent an email asking them, I dont suppose I will get a straight answer from a country that banned so much just because they could rather than any logical reason.
I have heard that the blanks are banned in or near any habitations and they also banned airguns and airsoft. Strange blokes these Aussies!

ugly

LE
What got me thinking about their rules was the following;
"Components of ammunition include projectiles, cartridge
casings, whether new or spent, and primers designed or adapted
Police Certification"
Now components of ammunition ok agreed but if launcher blanks are classed as ammunition in Oz then thats ok but it almost reads to me as ammunition or components for use in controlled weapons especially when you dig through the meanings of the rest of it.
But as you said e mail sent!
If its still cheaper too buy from me than locally and worth whatever hassle there is in Aus to get the blanks then good on him for emailing the enquiry in the first place!

I cracked and sent an email asking them, I dont suppose I will get a straight answer from a country that banned so much just because they could rather than any logical reason.
I have heard that the blanks are banned in or near any habitations and they also banned airguns and airsoft. Strange blokes these Aussies!
I know, even we haven't banned air soft :) yet, that is .....

What got me thinking about their rules was the following;
"Components of ammunition include projectiles, cartridge
casings, whether new or spent, and primers designed or adapted
Police Certification"
Now components of ammunition ok agreed but if launcher blanks are classed as ammunition in Oz then thats ok but it almost reads to me as ammunition or components for use in controlled weapons especially when you dig through the meanings of the rest of it.
But as you said e mail sent!
If its still cheaper too buy from me than locally and worth whatever hassle there is in Aus to get the blanks then good on him for emailing the enquiry in the first place!
I know, taking its logical conclusion though, cases are controlled; so a case with a primer in the rim and powder therein isn't? Dunno, it would seem daft but that is a recurring theme on firearms legislation

ugly

LE
I know, even we haven't banned air soft :) yet, that is .....
Well not so much banned as put them on the import list as requiring licensing! Good as banning general public from having them isnt it!

Well not so much banned as put them on the import list as requiring licensing! Good as banning general public from having them isnt it!
Pretty much. The Aussie states all do their own thing:

Airsoft guns are currently unobtainable in Australia under state and federal law. As legislation and regulations stand airsoft guns are often grouped with prohibited military style assault weapons or machine guns because of their appearance and automatic manner of operation. State and/or federal laws also prohibit the possession or importation of (firing) replica weapons of the class airsoft guns usually replicate. If you obtain an Airsoft firearm in another country (e.g. USA) and attempt to take it back to an Australian state or territory where it is legal to possess such a firearm you may encounter a problem at customs if flying in to another state where it is illegal (e.g. Victoria) to own such a firearm before continuing on your journey to your home state or territory.

Airsoft guns are illegal to own or possess without appropriate license or permit in most states of Australia under state and federal law. Each Australian state has slightly different regulations on airsoft replicas. The regulations of some states are as follows:

New South Wales
Airsoft is regulated under the Firearms Act 1996 that classifies them as firearms which the New South Wales police do not allow any genuine reason for.

Queensland
Airsoft replicas that have automatic firing and/or similar appearance to prohibited automatic military style assault weapons or machine guns are prohibited to own or possess. Other single shot and semiauto airsoft replicas are classed under License Categories A, B & H.

South Australia
Airsoft firearms that have a velocity 1 metre from the muzzle of under 180 foot per second are not firearms in South Australia hence not restricted. Airsoft firearms above 180 foot per second 1m from the muzzle are firearms and depending on calibre for long arms will be either an A or B class firearm. Hand guns are H Class.[1]

Victoria
Airsoft articles are not permitted in Victoria under the Victorian Legislation and Victoria Police will not issue any authorisation for their importation.

Western Australia
Airsoft articles are not permitted in Western Australia and Western Australian Police will not issue any authorisation for their importation.

Currently single shot spring powered airsoft guns commonly referred to as sniper rifles (that do not replicate automatic weapons) and gas powered hand guns (without automatic function) may be (technically) imported into some Australian states, such as Queensland. To own, possess or import these devices one require appropriate license. However, the firearm department does not consider airsoft to be a valid reason for ownership.
Imagine if Essex and Sussex was different to Kent and trying to move your licensed air soft from one to the other :roll:

ugly

LE
You know its not far off that when moving rfd business or if you stalk and you move to another county!

You know its not far off that when moving rfd business or if you stalk and you move to another county!
Yeah, I know. You have to reapply and pay the RFD grant fee because of the way the legislation is worded. Another amendment all agree on but sat with the HO :roll:

Not sure what you mean by stalking though as that would be a straight transfer of FAC

ugly

LE
Some forces have arbritary rules on usage and amounts of weapons and ammo which lack basis in law and tend only to be challenged when shooters move areas!

please take note that all the queensland laws and registrations are different to any where else in Aus, and sometimes differ from town to town especially west of the darling downs, lots of local sheriffs use their own interpretation of the law,so best of luck with your import enquiries

Some forces have arbritary rules on usage and amounts of weapons and ammo which lack basis in law and tend only to be challenged when shooters move areas!
Really? I'd challenge that. After all, if Kent said I could have ten firearms, what right do Cumbria have to say I can't? I'd expect to be questionned on what firearms I had if I moved and what my 'good reason' for them was as Police can revoke on 'good reason' but legally they have to issue my certificate as it stands and then make a decision after discussing with me what my 'good reason' was. If they revoked, I'd subpoena the licensing manager from my previous Force.

Is this scare mongering from some shooting organisations or is there a source?

ugly

LE
West mids had an arbritary 10 weapons pre 97 before you needed a monitored alarm. The law just requires you to secure the stuff. It doesnt set limits. I know at the time I had about 40 all in and whilst working up in the mids the lads I shot with said they wouldnt allow me to keep them if I moved. I said Staffs isnt a problem!
In fact Sussex doesnt always require some conditions for RFDs that apply to cert holders in some other counties! I cant really say more but its not a level playing field!

West mids had an arbritary 10 weapons pre 97 before you needed a monitored alarm. The law just requires you to secure the stuff. It doesnt set limits. I know at the time I had about 40 all in and whilst working up in the mids the lads I shot with said they wouldnt allow me to keep them if I moved. I said Staffs isnt a problem!
In fact Sussex doesnt always require some conditions for RFDs that apply to cert holders in some other counties! I cant really say more but its not a level playing field!
All the more reason for having a national firearms licensing agency.

IIRC the guidance says consideration should be given to installing a monitored alarm at ten or more. If you've got something that would take them hours using kango hammers and live on or next to the premises, there wouldn't be much point. Then again, for insurance purposes, I probably would get an alarm :)

There's standard conditions for an RFD like keeping them secure. I know some RFD's might be given additional ones if there's things which have happened in the past.

Staffs or W Mids? They're different Police areas and the former mgr from Staffs is now at W Mids.