Imported Canadian car

Does anyone have any idea how to register a model of car not made in Europe?
I have a car (8 years old) that is from Canada, that I'm having trouble registering in Germany, they dont recognise it and they want to know the original registration date (We have the year, not the day and month). Im thinking of taking it to the UK and parking it up in my parents garage until I can sort the bloody thing out but have no idea how to go about it. Its registered under a NATO agreement for another week.
Anyone got any advice? Is it legal to have an imported unregistered car (that wont be driven anywhere) in the UK?

Does anyone have any idea how to register a model of car not made in Europe?
I have a car (8 years old) that is from Canada, that I'm having trouble registering in Germany, they dont recognise it and they want to know the original registration date (We have the year, not the day and month). Im thinking of taking it to the UK and parking it up in my parents garage until I can sort the bloody thing out but have no idea how to go about it. Its registered under a NATO agreement for another week.
Anyone got any advice? Is it legal to have an imported unregistered car (that wont be driven anywhere) in the UK?

It can be in the UK on foreign plates for 6 months before yo uhave to re register it with DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

I read through most of the government advice, the problem is it wont be registered anywhere in a week and I wont have the time at the moment to sort it out. I wanted to register it in Germany but it looks like that cant happen.

But it has a canadien registration though doesnt it?

Get someone with trade plates to move it?

I can get it into the UK (as its still registered until the end of the month) I need to know what to do from there and is it okay to have an unregistered car (if its not been driven)

There may be a possibility that it can't be registered in Europe. Sometimes fitting the right window glass, indicators, headlamps, mirrors etc can't be done.

Certainly that is true the other way round. Land Rovers as an example, there are very few Defenders that can be imported to the US at all, even with changes. They simply aren't type-approved. Or worse, they are type-denied.

There may be a possibility that it can't be registered in Europe. Sometimes fitting the right window glass, indicators, headlamps, mirrors etc can't be done.

Theres a lot of imports around though, including some real old style cars, they must know away around it.

Certainly that is true the other way round. Land Rovers as an example, there are very few Defenders that can be imported to the US at all, even with changes. They simply aren't type-approved. Or worse, they are type-denied.

As far as i know you just need to have the lamps changed to dip to the left not right and make sure tints arent too dark. everything else ive come across between US/EU cars coming to the UK the spec meets UK requirements - lights height lens colour etc.

I thought the Land Rovers to the US issue was to do with emissions. Only "civilised europe" car I can think of that wasnt allowed to be registered in the UK was the mark 1 twingo because of the headlight placement

mph1977

War Hero
once it's in the UK and on private land you are fairly safe - there is nothing in the UK that stops you from owning or looking after a car that is unregistered unless and until you try and use it or park it on a road .

full date of registration is it not n the origianl canadaian registration documents ?

what do the Germans not recognise about the vehicle ? do they have the equivalent ot IVA / SVA ?

As far as i know you just need to have the lamps changed to dip to the left not right and make sure tints arent too dark. everything else ive come across between US/EU cars coming to the UK the spec meets UK requirements - lights height lens colour etc.

I thought the Land Rovers to the US issue was to do with emissions. Only "civilised europe" car I can think of that wasnt allowed to be registered in the UK was the mark 1 twingo because of the headlight placement

IIRC there was some issue with certain VWs and Audis coming from Cyprus, as an example. There's a type approval number that goes on the glass, and Cypriot imports didn't have it. It was cost-prohibitive to change all the glass.

As others have said, plenty of US motors in Europe, but there's no guarantee that the motor will be legal in a different territory than it was made for.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Take your jam-jar to the UK and when you've time to deal with things, register it for export to Germany. You can drive on export plates there for six months. In that time you should be able to confirm if it can be adapted to the TÜV conditions.

MsG

Latest Threads