importation of "war trophies"

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by asr1, Mar 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. does anybody know the correct procedure to follow should one wish to import a foreign weapon as a war trophy for display? I know it can be done, but I don't know how....
  2. It's in the AESP for Weapon Proceedures. Can't remember the number off the top of me head. 1000-A-003-013 is ringing a bell. Not sure why though.
  3. The Feds and the Loggies should be able to answer as well. I know things were clamped down on during and after TELIC 1.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

If you're doing this for yourself, talk to the HMRC National Advice Service (0845) 010 9000 (from inside the UK) or +44 208 929 0152 if you're overseas.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Not sure about the official procedure, but what actually happens is that you fill out all of the correct paperwork and follow procedures to apply to bring home a trophy which your unit has rightfully obtained.

Then, someone hidden along the chain tells you that trophies are pooled and allocated on a unit basis, and then voila, you top trophy is suddenly reallocated (presumably to the RMP/HQ type bod whose eye it caught). You get two tatty AK's, they get your gold plated dragonof.

6. Your unit QM should have the procedures. I've recently returned from TELIC and there was a policy in place that authority would not be granted for war trophies to be taken out of theatre - that said, they still wanted you to apply, presumably so that someone behind a desk in a HQ somewhere could turn your request down!
  7. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

There is usually a cut off from when trophies cannot be taken. These in the BFSO and are based on guidance from PJHQ Whitehall ect. I believe the AESP are to prove a weapon system inert and FFE.

The application is via the GJ1 chain rather than the GJ4 chain, although generally the SATO is heavily involved.

This is why one of the last Seafire’s in the word is sat on pallets in SLB, rather than being rebuilt.

I’ll have a look on Monday.
  8. This was one of PTP's crusades, I'm sure he will have thoroughly investigated the rules and regs behind it, he may be worth asking.